Tennis Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
La Divina Assoluta
11,845 Posts
No real benefit for her to test her fitness IMO. She's not going to be able to get extra work in in one week. If she gets a tough draw, the Eastbourne singles field is not going to give her a good preparation. And if she gets a soft draw, she can always use it to work out additional kinks.

What she needed most is confidence and the rhythm of matchplay, and I think the way she served on break points in their doubles match yesterday will give her that.
She played one match though. Did that 2hours of tennis really yield enough rhythm and match practice to go into a major?

It's not 2007 anymore when Serena could just waltz into majors half fit and be a contender. Tbh this whole comeback seems very precarious but Wimbledon will be the big indicator for sure.

·
Registered
32,637 Posts
Who does Serena think she is? Osamma :unsure: :gottago:

• Wow
Reactions: Représailles

·
Premium Member
53,483 Posts
She played one match though. Did that 2hours of tennis really yield enough rhythm and match practice to go into a major?

It's not 2007 anymore when Serena could just waltz into majors half fit and be a contender. Tbh this whole comeback seems very precarious but Wimbledon will be the big indicator for sure.
Lets be fair she did exactly that at 2005 Wimbledon and was sent packing by Craybas of all people

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Sad but expected, this was all just match practice for Serena to get rid of the rust, although I'm not sure if two doubles matches is enough.

And for Ons, she was never going to play Eastbourne anyway if not for this doubles pairing with Serena, so wise of her to cite an injury to prepare herself for the big one.
I really wonder if this should be allowed - not just here but across the Tour. Shouldn't there be independent medical examinations/decisions before players are allowed to just pull out. It's very unfair on player who could have taken part.

·
Registered
93,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I love Serena - but not sure if this Wimbledon WC is a good idea.

·
Registered
59,023 Posts
$h!t :awww: hopefully nothing serious and just a precaution or an excuse to focus on Wimbledon

Reactions: xPaintTheLines

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I love Serena - but not sure if this Wimbledon WC is a good idea.
I think it is likely to be her last Wimbledon. She still has that serve and her timing on her groundstrokes. Her movement is only going to get worse in the future, so now is probably the time to try to have a respectable showing there.

·
Registered
Team Vika
46,757 Posts
Yeah I'm sure Ons is the one who wanted to withdraw.

·
Registered
Team Vika
46,757 Posts

41 - 60 of 71 Posts