Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
12,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serena Williams: "Kerber [Wimbledon] loss doesnt count...my baby was 8 months old"

:happy: Discuss

·
Registered
38,326 Posts
Re: Serena Williams: "Kerber [Wimbledon] loss doesnt count...my baby was 8 months old

:spit:

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Re: Serena Williams: "Kerber [Wimbledon] loss doesnt count...my baby was 8 months old

:spit:

·
Registered
34,213 Posts

How was a baby who was born on September 1 be eight months old the following July :scratch:?

On a non-tennis note, is Serena Williams a mother?

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

I think she meant that the Kerber loss didn't impact her as much as the other three,because she was out of shape.

·
Registered
12,161 Posts

i think it was great interview. she opened up much more than i expected her to do. usually she's much more reserved but today she basically said there's something wrong with her mentally and that's what she needs to work on figure that out.

·
Registered
11,505 Posts

to sum up the whole 9 minute interview, she basically reiterated how she lost the match because "she didn't play well enough" once again. In other words, no credit given to a better player once again:yawn:

·
Registered
34,213 Posts

i think it was great interview. she opened up much more than i expected her to do. usually she's much more reserved but today she basically said there's something wrong with her mentally and that's what she needs to work on figure that out.
Yeah she actually gave a great press conference after the Wimbledon final too :). And she was getting some pretty damn stupid questions.

·
Registered
983 Posts

to sum up the whole 9 minute interview, she basically reiterated how she lost the match because "she didn't play well enough" once again. In other words, no credit given to a better player once again:yawn:
Yeah that was a boring interview. She sounds jaded the whole time.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts

I am a huge Serena fan and have been pretty much since the moment I first saw her play God knows how many years ago... but watching her say such a thing in press was disappointing. I have to make it clear that just because I enjoy her game does not mean that I will defend every shitty thing Serena does.

Her ego is obviously hurt which is why she feels a need to downplay past losses to make herself feel better. Kerber's win DID count because you stood at the baseline and were ready to compete. She beat you on the day and that's what competition is all about. Besides, you have lost the past 4 finals... last night's L was because you were outplayed and just knew that you couldn't keep up with the mentally strong 19 year old who wouldn't fold despite the intense crowd and your usual histrionics.

OK, I'm done, guys. Very frustrated with Serena right now to say the least!

·
Registered
135 Posts

What a horrible thing to say. She likes Kerber. And if Kerber gets wind of that comment, I would think she would be very disappointed by that assessment of that match. Serena didn't play well in any of her last 4 slam finals. The Kerber match was no different than yesterday ... when Serena couldn't buy herself her biggest weapon, a first serve.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts

Disappointing take from Serena. I didn't watch yesterday's final in which she says her serve wasn't there (around 4 min in that clip).

But it was definitely there in 2018. Serena hit 75% first serves in, winning 63% first serve points. She had 24 winners. She wasn't at her best but she wasn't a UE machine and her mentality wasn't as fragile as her more recent finals. Angie also hit 23 winners and only five UEs.

People shouldn't be downplaying Angie's achievement or Serena's level that day.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts

What a horrible thing to say. She likes Kerber. And if Kerber gets wind of that comment, I would think she would be very disappointed by that assessment of that match. Serena didn't play well in any of her last 4 slam finals. The Kerber match was no different than yesterday ... when Serena couldn't buy herself her biggest weapon, a first serve.
Agree with everything except the last point. The Kerber match was different because Serena got 75% of first serves in.

·
Registered
32,010 Posts

That´s the difference between Roger greatness and Serena greatness. Roger can fake being nice 24/7. For Serena it doesn´t last more than a few months. :SNE:

·
Registered
135 Posts

Agree with everything except the last point. The Kerber match was different because Serena got 75% of first serves in.
True. I worded what I meant to say incorrectly. I meant that Serena wasn't at her very best with the Kerber match and Kerber played great - and that - Serena wasn't at her best (serve percentage yesterday) and Andreescu played great.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts