Tennis Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Supposed Former , Administrator
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By ROY KAMMERER<br />Associated Press Writer <br />October 31, 2001

<br />MUNICH, Germany (AP) -- Everyone at the Sanex Championships is talking about Venus Williams' wrist injury and the race for No. 1 between Jennifer Capriati and Lindsay Davenport.

Few are saying much about Serena Williams, and she wants to change that.

``I'm on a mission. My next goal is to be No. 1,'' she said Tuesday. ``I'm tired of seeing people ranked ahead of me that just shouldn't be.''

Serena, currently ranked 10th, routed Silvia Farina-Elia 6-0, 6-2 in her first match at the season-ending championships. It was her first match since losing to sister Venus in the U.S. Open final in early September.

Capriati would have lost her No. 1 ranking if she had lost to Bulgaria's Magdalena Maleeva.

Capriati wasted two match points before winning 2-6, 6-3, 6-3 over Maleeva.

The American took the top ranking from Martina Hingis two weeks ago and made it clear she would like to finish the season in the top spot.

``It would mean everything,'' Capriati said. ``It has sunk in. I had a week off so I really was able to enjoy it and not worry about anyone taking it away from me.''

If Capriati had lost, Davenport could have moved into the top slot by reaching the final of the event.

Williams' rolled through the first set in just 24 minutes and didn't give up a game until Farina-Elia made it 1-1 in the second. That caused the Italian to celebrate like she won the whole match.

``It was pretty exciting to be back on court -- I've been waiting a while,'' said Williams, who has been practicing at home in Florida.

Sandrine Testud upset fifth-seeded Amelie Mauresmo 5-7, 7-5, 6-1 in a matchup of French players.

A third Frenchwoman, Nathalie Tauziat, played her final match in singles when she fell to Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, 6-3, 6-4. Tauziat will only play doubles next season.

The Capriati-Maleeva match was the first for the tournament outside of New York's Madison Square Garden, home to the event since 1987, when it was called the Chase Championships.

The field, expected to be composed of the world's best 16 players, has been diluted by the withdrawal of Venus Williams.

The WTA announced Tuesday a panel has been set up to investigate the injury, and if a doctor doesn't find it legitimate, Williams could be docked up to $140,000 in bonus money.

Davenport said Monday she was skeptical of the injury and Williams' late withdrawal from the tournament.

``Everyone has their own opinion,'' Serena said. ``The only people who know the truth are Venus and the people around her. I know Venus would stay at home when I went to the practice court because she couldn't practice.''

Serena's plans to be No. 1 include playing more tournaments. It would also have to include beating Venus.

``I'm going to have to take down anyone who stands in my way,'' she said, drawing a laugh at a news conference.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts