Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
40,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serena Williams Announces When She’ll Retire from Tennis

PureWow September 25, 2019

While halfway around the world Meghan Markle, Prince Harry and royal baby Archie enjoy their tour of South Africa, a close friend of the Duchess of Sussex has some breaking news of her own.

Today, Serena Williams revealed exactly when she plans to retire—but don’t worry, it’s not any time soon.

Speaking on a panel with CEO of Verizon Media Guru Gowrappan and CNBC correspondent Julia Boorstin in honor of Advertising Week New York, the 37-year-old 23-time Grand Slam winner revealed that she expects to retire from the sport in 20 years.
During the panel she let slip that she intends to “transfer out, you know, in 20 years. Not anytime soon,” which was met by a round of applause.

Williams has spoken candidly about how difficult it’s been to get back into the swing of things since welcoming her daughter, Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr., on September 1, 2017. In August, she sustained a back injury that led her to withdraw from the Rogers Cup and she penned a powerful essay about her 2018 U.S. Open finals loss. Still, it’s comforting to know that Williams isn’t putting down her tennis racket in the near future.

The tennis icon started her career at just 14 years old when she won her first match at a Grand Slam in 1998. If she sticks to her 20 more years promise, she will have had a 42-year run.

Now that’s impressive.

[Yahoo News]

·
Registered
33,068 Posts
Serena Williams Announces When She’ll Retire from Tennis

PureWow September 25, 2019

While halfway around the world Meghan Markle, Prince Harry and royal baby Archie enjoy their tour of South Africa, a close friend of the Duchess of Sussex has some breaking news of her own.

Today, Serena Williams revealed exactly when she plans to retire—but don’t worry, it’s not any time soon.

Speaking on a panel with CEO of Verizon Media Guru Gowrappan and CNBC correspondent Julia Boorstin in honor of Advertising Week New York, the 37-year-old 23-time Grand Slam winner revealed that she expects to retire from the sport in 20 years.
During the panel she let slip that she intends to “transfer out, you know, in 20 years. Not anytime soon,” which was met by a round of applause.

Williams has spoken candidly about how difficult it’s been to get back into the swing of things since welcoming her daughter, Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr., on September 1, 2017. In August, she sustained a back injury that led her to withdraw from the Rogers Cup and she penned a powerful essay about her 2018 U.S. Open finals loss. Still, it’s comforting to know that Williams isn’t putting down her tennis racket in the near future.

The tennis icon started her career at just 14 years old when she won her first match at a Grand Slam in 1998. If she sticks to her 20 more years promise, she will have had a 42-year run.

Now that’s impressive.

[Yahoo News]

I know the TF haters was panting with anticipation that this was Rena's last year.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
544 Posts
Make it 100! She already lost 50 slams and can easily lose another 50 in these years!
In less than one year she will have lost as many slams as Graf has participated in.

·
Registered
33,068 Posts
Player forum. Mods?!!
If she was retiring soon you'd have no problems. Haters running into Serena threads like a fire drill.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
But the question is, can we trust Serena on this?

Serena has never been clear or consistent in what she has said about her future plans. I mean there have been many times when she talked about becoming a doctor and I think she was even said to be taking classes for medical school or something, then out of nowhere she came and said 'I always kept my schedule light so I can balance tennis with fashion.' This is after in early to mid 00s she seemed quite interested in Hollywood.

So, if 20 years or more on tour is what she is saying now, then it contradicts what she said in the past. Here is a quote from her match against Kimiko Date Krumm who was 42 years old at the time, at Wimbledon 2013:

"I have so much respect for Kimiko. It's so inspiring to be playing such high-level tennis at her age. I definitely do not see myself playing at 42."

I think Serena could be right about staying on tour for 20 years but that's because she is a legend and there are many sponsors who works with her or wants to work with her and even if she starts losing in early rounds, it will take a long time, a very long time indeed, perhaps 20 years, before she starts losing sponsors given the name and reputation she has built for herself. She makes multimillion dollars out of tennis,just out sponsorship alone and not counting any 'court-earned' money.

Given she is a smart business woman, I think she won't pull out of tennis, because tennis ensures limelight and unless a very successful alternative to tennis is set up, I don't think she will leave tennis whether she has earned 25 grand slams or not.

Although, this is no secret to anyone who invests their time, money or self in tennis that your career is only one injury away from farewell.

Reactions: M.A.S.L.

·
Registered
21,478 Posts
I can definitely see Serena hanging around the tennis circuit for a long time, even if she dials down to only doubles after a while. Like it or not Serena really defines this era of tennis, and she can keep going as long as she’s healthy.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts