Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
http://instagr.am/p/B7BuwzVlf2f/

It would interesting to hear Serena respond to this. She was almost disdainful of the idea of still playing pro tennis at 38 and now that she is still eagerly active and inspired, for her to explain her thoughts in 2010 would be worth reading :)
Serena flat out said, I'm done at 38. And she said it in a way to be mocking the sport, as if she would have much better things to do with her life. This bold, arrogant declaration she made ten years ago merits discussion and a comment from the Queen Momma herself.

But it was the derision in which she said it, it sounded like she was dissing the sport so bad, if I'm still playing this ridiculous sport at 38 and not doing more productive things with my life, I command you reporters to come on out and drag my big a55 off the court. She insulted the sport. She could have said I love tennis so much you will have to drag me off to stop me from playing pro. But no, she said if I'm still playing this damned game at 38, drag me off the court.
What an odd take on this. I don't hear disdain in her voice, at all. I hear a combination tone of "you're seriously asking me about 10 years from now?" with humor.

If you think that tone of voice from Serena is a command or disdain or a diss or an insult, you're projecting, big time.

Not much going on in the tennis world now, so this is appropriate and justified discussion. Tennis fans would like to hear what changed her opinion about still playing at 38.
She's answered this quite clearly before, and we've seen things that have changed in her outlook in tennis to inform this as well. In 2010, nobody talked about 24 as the target number. Now that they have and she's so close to it, she openly has said she wants it. She hasn't gotten it yet, in spite of four finals reached while stuck on #23, aged 36 and 37 (i.e. before she was 38), and she thinks she can get it.

Plus, once she teamed up with Patrick Mouratoglou, love him or hate him, she very much oriented her mindset towards greatness in objective, countable measures. We heard a lot less about outside interests from her than we used to, in spite of the fact she has a much more time-consuming outside 'interest'.

I may be mistaken on this, but I recall she talked about the broken glass foot injury and subsequent pulmonary embolism (and thus the time off from the sport) as something that renewed her love for the game. She definitely talked about how much she missed tennis, which wasn't the case with some of her layoffs in the mid 2000s.

Ash Barty was asked after beating Venus in Birmingham if she could see herself playing at age 39, and her answer was "absolutely not", and her tone was a lot less humorous than Serena's. I don't think anyone would accuse Barty of being disrespectful to the sport, so what's your beef with Serena?

Funny that anonymous nobodies feel the need to protect the Queen from even the mildest criticism and questioning. It's funny and admirable at the same time.
Funny that an anonymous nobody feels the need to demand answers from someone s/he's never met and is never gonna meet on a forum where she'll never see the demand and gets all snowflakey when people wonder what his agenda is.

Funny, but not very admirable.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
She basically said if I'm still playing this ridiculous sport at 38 i'd be a damned fool and please physically remove me from this sport, I command you to do that. And she said this moments after winning the most prestigious title in the sport. Has a great champion of the sport ever sha7 on the sport so verbally as this?

What would Serena be without tennis? The sport has given her everything. How dare she sha7 on the sport like that.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
She basically said if I'm still playing this ridiculous sport at 38 i'd be a damned fool and please physically remove me from this sport, I command you to do that. And she said this moments after winning the most prestigious title in the sport. Has a great champion of the sport ever sha7 on the sport so verbally as this?

What would Serena be without tennis? The sport has given her everything. How dare she sha7 on the sport like that.
Your projection of your own anger on her is astounding.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Your projection of your own anger on her is astounding.
Actually, what that poster is saying isn't quite the stretch you're making it out to be. Serena since starting to work with Mouratoglou has demonstrated more evident hunger and passion for the sport, but there were long periods through her 20's where she often took glee in projecting an image that she was too cool for the sport. She had enough competitive drive to achieve a lot: but more in the fact that she hated losing rather than loving to win. So at the moment she made the comment in question, she genuinely meant "I don't see myself doing this silly shit when I'm 38. I'd be doing far cooler stuff". She has been far more purposeful since 2012 or so, but it was not always like that.

·
Registered
880 Posts
"drag" isn't "eacort"

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I know we're in lockdown but trying to ignite the usual Serena-hate based on an off-the-cuff remark she made a decade ago... The agenda is both obvious and juvenile.

People are allowed to change their minds about their outlook on life. Plenty of players have retired and returned for a comeback after having time to consider both options. Let's not create a similar thread each time that happens.

·
Registered
19,563 Posts
38 is extreme. We're used to it today as even Federer is still out there and Vee, but really, it's not the norm, especially in 2010. No wonder she was so dismissive of the idea.

IIRC on men's side, Almagro lost to Nadal at the French Open for the third time (2008 maybe) and when interviewed told press he thought Nadal could continue winning Roland Garros till he was 68 even on a wheelchair. He might well do.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Maybe Richard Williams embedded the Get out of tennis mindset a lot earlier in the sisters, remember when they were very young late teens or early 20s he said both would be done by 30 and doing other things. So maybe Richard is to blame. )

·
Registered
15,029 Posts
The answer is simple: she had no idea back then she will be chasing the tail of Maggie Court. Otherwise she'd have retired already — just as she basically retired from the regular tour until she was forced to chase points in Auckland

And so she remains stuck in this need-to-be-goat thing... even tho funny enough there is no law dictating any sport that one has to win the most in order to be one

·
Registered
39,630 Posts
Not if I have anything to do with it.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Actually, what that poster is saying isn't quite the stretch you're making it out to be. Serena since starting to work with Mouratoglou has demonstrated more evident hunger and passion for the sport, but there were long periods through her 20's where she often took glee in projecting an image that she was too cool for the sport. She had enough competitive drive to achieve a lot: but more in the fact that she hated losing rather than loving to win. So at the moment she made the comment in question, she genuinely meant "I don't see myself doing this silly shit when I'm 38. I'd be doing far cooler stuff". She has been far more purposeful since 2012 or so, but it was not always like that.
Which has been made clear, repeatedly, and the @assh01e asking the question at the beginning has been rightfully put in his/her place. His/her 10-year after the fact anger at Serena Williams, age 28, not considering that she might still love the sport, might love it more, might be more interested in the historical nature of her career, etc., is unnecessary. And it's genuine anger. Look at how he/she keep going on about it.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
38 is extreme. We're used to it today as even Federer is still out there and Vee, but really, it's not the norm, especially in 2010. No wonder she was so dismissive of the idea.
I really think Kimiko Date deserves some kind of exhibit at the Tennis Hall of Fame. When she came back at age 37, reached the top 100, won a tour title, etc., it changed tennis' perception of objective vs subjective age. There were players continuing in singles into their 30s, but she was the first to really begin again that LATE into her 30s, AND succeed.

·
Registered
21,884 Posts
Baiting thread. Don't think this matters.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Court never threatened to murder an official or threaten bodily harm to an umpire. And she did not ruin anyone's first major title winning moment because of her own nervous breakdown like Serena inflicted on poor Osaka. Completely wrecked her dream come true moment. No denyng Serena was a great champion but in terms of class and honor, she is miles and miles behind Margaret Court.

·
Registered
21,884 Posts
Court never threatened to murder an official or threaten bodily harm to an umpire. And she did not ruin anyone's first major title winning moment because of her own nervous breakdown like Serena inflicted on poor Osaka. Completely wrecked her dream come true moment. No denyng Serena was a great champion but in terms of class and honor, she is miles and miles behind Margaret Court.
I think the issue here is that Serena's on-court behavior and demeanor can be questionable at times, but Court has a stadium named after her at 1 of the 4 biggest tournaments in the world and because of that, what she said is worse.

This is not me speaking as a Serena stan. I am fairly neutral and objective on her, but rather these are facts. Also, you forgot about Graf in the GOAT discussion, but that's not for this thread.

·
Registered
21,884 Posts
Most majors is the main criteria for judging the best of all time. Even if she falls short of Court the media, which hates Court, will talk Serena into being the Goat. The media has the power to persuade little boys and girls to want to change gender, to say good is bad and up is down...they can manipulate Serena in the goat throne.
You should probably go next door and post this since most of them consider the pusher the GOAT despite being 3RD in Slams.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts