Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would interesting to hear Serena respond to this. She was almost disdainful of the idea of still playing pro tennis at 38 and now that she is still eagerly active and inspired, for her to explain her thoughts in 2010 would be worth reading :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How Serena, like Federer, will choose to depart the sport is intriguing. Will it be sudden? Will it be an injury? Will it be a farewell tour? Will it be to maximize profits? Graf's sudden retirement was very unique.

·
Registered
17,791 Posts
More importantly, is it anyone's business?

EDIT: Scoop is that you? 👀
Is anything we discuss here actually our business?

I never understand the arrogance involved in bringing up the classic “none of your business” statement. Nothing that happens in the life of someone we don’t intimately know as a personal connection is our business. And yet, these forums exist to discuss them anyway. Is it our business to discuss Clijsters’ comeback? Is it our business to discuss who should coach whom? Is it our business to discuss when someone retires from a match for whatever reason?

So where do you draw the line? When should a nobody on the internet feel empowered to levy inconsequential statements like “it it anybody’s business?” in a thread?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great quote from Serena. Would indeed be nice to hear what she has to say about her mindset then and now. Nobody needs to be nailed to the cross to whatever they said a decade ago.

For me, Serena is more likely to retire quietly than Federer.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
So where do you draw the line? When should a nobody on the internet feel empowered to levy inconsequential statements like “it it anybody’s business?” in a thread?
When someone is saying anything that is not positive about his queen, obviously.

·
Registered
8,021 Posts
Is anything we discuss here actually our business?
No. But clearly the OP is just looking to start sh*t.
Not have a conversation about when Serena plans to retire.

And to be clear, if I feel like criticizing people for starting low-effort bait-threads, I'll do so. Just because some people struggle with the slippery slope, doesn't mean we all do.

When someone is saying anything that is not positive about his queen, obviously.
I drag that nail technician plenty of times. Look it up.

I mean when you make a PUBLIC statement and basically make a request, then .......
So that "public statement" becomes a binding contract or political promise of some sort? She was joking around with a reporter...I hope I wouldnt have to make that explicit.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Serena flat out said, I'm done at 38. And she said it in a way to be mocking the sport, as if she would have much better things to do with her life. This bold, arrogant declaration she made ten years ago merits discussion and a comment from the Queen Momma herself.

Not much going on in the tennis world now, so this is appropriate and justified discussion. Tennis fans would like to hear what changed her opinion about still playing at 38.

·
Registered
17,791 Posts
No. But clearly the OP is just looking to start sh*t.
Not have a conversation about when Serena plans to retire.
Then just drag them! I find it pointless to bring up the question of what is someone’s business and what isn’t. We’re an Internet forum of nobodies who think everything tennis-related is our business. Of course Serena’s retirement is our business; for a good part of two decades, she’s literally the star that TF has revolved around.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Funny that anonymous nobodies feel the need to protect the Queen from even the mildest criticism and questioning. It's funny and admirable at the same time.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
But it was the derision in which she said it, it sounded like she was dissing the sport so bad, if I'm still playing this ridiculous sport at 38 and not doing more productive things with my life, I command you reporters to come on out and drag my big a55 off the court. She insulted the sport. She could have said I love tennis so much you will have to drag me off to stop me from playing pro. But no, she said if I'm still playing this damned game at 38, drag me off the court.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And she said this moments after winning Wimbledon, a happy moment. She did not say this after a bitter loss.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts