1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serena Scores Win In Rome Return

By Tennis Week
05/15/2007

Serena Williams felt flat, got down a break early, struggled to find her footing and sought some treatment from the trainer. The reigning Australian Open champion wasn't at her best in her Rome return, but was still good enough to score a 6-4, 6-1, victory over Michaella Krajicek and reach the third round of the Tier I clay-court event.

"I kept missing and hitting balls out. I wasn't playing my game at all. I was letting her dictate play," Williams said. "But it was a good start. I got to run. She moved me a lot.'"

It was Williams first complete clay-court match in two years. She succumbed to Francesca Schiavone, 7-6(2), 6-1, in the second round of the 2005 Rome event in her last complete clay-court match. Williams retired from her opening match in Charleston while holding a 5-3 lead last month.

"I came out flat," Williams said. "I don't think I warmed up enough inside and she was playing really well."

Williams broke serve five times, cracked 25 winners compared to 10 for Krajicek and won nine of the last 10 games to raise her record to 17-2.

Simply Stunning, Simply Serena
:worship: 57 Consecutive Weeks as World #1 :worship:​
:worship: Olympic Gold Medalist ('00 Doubles w/ Venus) :worship:​

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Any news on why she needed attention from the trainer she didn't explain did she?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Oh and Ta for the article!

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Any news on why she needed attention from the trainer she didn't explain did she?
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2871422

Updated: May 15, 2007, 4:22 PM ET
Serena beats Krajicek to reach second round

ROME -- Serena Williams overcame a slow start before beating Michaella Krajicek 6-4, 6-1 Tuesday in the second round of the Italian Open.

Williams, who had a trainer attend to her left thigh after the first set, improved to 17-2 this year.

"I kept missing and hitting balls out. I wasn't playing my game at all. I was letting her dictate play," Williams said. "But it was a good start. I got to run. She moved me a lot."

Among those advancing in the first round were No. 14 seed Patty Schnyder, No. 15 Katarina Srebotnik and No. 16 Tathiana Garbin.

Schnyder, a Rome finalist two years ago, beat Vasilis Bardina 6-1, 6-2. Srebotnik defeated Martina Mueller 6-4, 6-2 and Garbin eliminated fellow Italian Flavia Pennetta 6-3, 7-6 (3).

Williams hadn't played since pulling out of the Fed Cup match with Belgium last month, citing a right knee injury. She had trouble gaining her footing on the red clay and gave up an early break to fall behind in the first set. The former No. 1 was late getting to the ball and appeared winded after several long points.

"I came out flat. I don't think I warmed up enough inside and she was playing really well," Williams said.

Williams started to gain rhythm and hit several backhands to break back and pull to 4-4, then applied more pressure during Krajicek's next service game to break again and win the set.

After Williams took a 4-1 lead in the second set, Krajicek called for the trainer for an apparent right shoulder problem.

Williams ended with 25 winners to Krajicek's 10.

Two more top-10 players withdrew with injuries Tuesday: No. 7 Nicole Vaidisova and No. 8 Ana Ivanovic.

Vaidisova, who was seeded fourth, has a right wrist injury that kept her out of last week's German Open.

Ivanovic has a left ankle injury. She reached her career-high ranking by winning the German Open, and was to be seeded 12th.

Top-ranked Justine Henin did not enter the event, No. 2 Maria Sharapova pulled out with a right shoulder injury and defending champion Martina Hingis withdrew with hip and back injuries.

Top-seeded Amelie Mauresmo, a two-time Rome champion, will play Samantha Stosur on Wednesday.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I hope her thigh injury is not serious.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2: Thanks im tired ou see and only scanned...hope shes OK and it will just wear off...

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
i read in another thread that had a quote with her saying something like her other thigh was wrapped, so she needed the trainer to put vaseline on the other one because they were rubbing together (her thighs). and the article has a mistake...she didnt have a 5-3 LEAD in charleston haha

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
i read in another thread that had a quote with her saying something like her other thigh was wrapped, so she needed the trainer to put vaseline on the other one because they were rubbing together (her thighs). and the article has a mistake...she didnt have a 5-3 LEAD in charleston haha
Shhhhhhhhh...you'll alert the American media to a fact! :lol:

·
Registered
12,154 Posts
"The former No. 1 was late getting to the ball and appeared winded after several long points."

The players that are to meet her next should take note.......make her run! I know that it takes more than that to send Serena packing, but this could be an important part of a game plan against her. Then again, Serena is deadly on the run.

·
Registered
25,074 Posts
"The former No. 1 was late getting to the ball and appeared winded after several long points."

The players that are to meet her next should take note.......make her run! I know that it takes more than that to send Serena packing, but this could be an important part of a game plan against her. Then again, Serena is deadly on the run.
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:YeS!!!!! I knew the haters would crawl out from under their rocks in order to welcome Serena.:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts