Tennis Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having alreday won the Australian and Wimbledon titles in 2003, SERENA is well on course to get her second straight threepeat of Grand Slam titles in a calendar year.

The closet competition to the Princess of Power, at the upcoming U.S. Open, is her sister, VENUS, and she will, most likely, not be 100 percent at that time, thus, leaving Henin-Hardene, whom she demolished in the Wimbey semis and Clijsters, whom VENUS beat in the semis of the same event, as the most reasonable choices as her closest competitors.

SERENA will be extremely motivated to take this title and establish herself as the clear choice as the best female player in the world for 2003.
Clijsters is definitely going to be gunshy of facing SERENA on the hard courts, where she reigns surpreme, and Justine may have to bring up that cheating hand to stop the onslaught that she will get from WILLIAMS if they face one another once again.

So, it looks like SERENA will really be going for the Open title to not only get another GS threepeat, but to start another run at a SERENA Slam and maybe even a calendar slam in 2004.

TR :cool:

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Injuries, too much partying and French crowds are the biggest obstacles that SERENA has to taking the title in NY this year.

·
Registered
639 Posts
You chose really nice pictures to accompany your write up, TeeRexx. :)
Serena is definately the favorite going in. I'm hoping Venus is fully healed by the USO, though, and that we all get to see some exciting tennis.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jmp - I am glad that you like the images of SERENA. :)

With no VENUS to stop her, baby sis will be out to send a message to the tour when she plays in NY.

·
Premium Member
20,085 Posts
Go Serena! She can do it all!

But I hope you are wrong about Vee! She just has to win the US Open this time. :sad:

·
Registered
607 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that Serena couldn’t defend her titles. :rolleyes:
Seems like there are a few posters out there getting fat off of eating their own words: Slim Fast, anyone? :lol:
GO SERENA! GO SERENA! GO SERENA! GO SERENA! GO SERENA! :hearts:

Reactions: Cybelle Darkholme

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Serena is good at stepping up and defending when it counts!!! Defended Miami and Wimbledon pretty convincingly!!! And I have a strong feeling that Serena is going to be holding up a trophy at the USO!! I hope so!!!! :bounce:

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
its all serena, although i know venus can give serena a run for her money, serena has shown the desire which she still has to keep winning these slams, and have her self still established as the number 1 player in the world, and she is getting closer to being really called the greatest athlete right now. she is just tarin up the courts.

tennis is so physical that i think a lot of people know that any tennis is about the hardest sport to dominate. the physical aspect and mental aspect of the game is far greater than anyother sport. and what serena is doing is just amazing. i give her credit. if she wins the usopen, w/out a doubt I think she will really be on a high to win the Grand Slam next year.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
also, something else to show you how great and a true champion serena is.

she could've let that French Open Bull really affect her. I know I would have, but she shown true champions heart and gut. But it behind her, and just swept through wimbledon in a heartbeat. She had only 2 real tough matches, and those were her 3 setters. Those players really took it to Serena, and to her credit she picked it up. What venus showed during wimbledon, no one has shown against Serena all year long. So I doubt anyone besides Venus will show it all of a sudden during the usopen, and with venus' injury status still 1 unknown, and in jeapordy till she really takes a good break and treats it well, Serena is the one to win it. If she doesn't win the usopen, its safe to say that she has beaten herself :)

·
Chionophile
40,201 Posts
She may well win the US Open, except, winning it won't be called a three-peat. A three-peat is when you win 3 consecutive titles at the same championships.

The last player to do so was Martina Hingis at the Australian Open in 1997-1999. However, Serena will get her chance for a REAL three-peat at next year's Wimbledon.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sam L - In other sports with one championship per year, three years in a row would be a threepeat, but since tennis has 4 majors a year and it is a damn site harder to win SIX titles in two years than three titles in three years, then I am safe in giving credit to SERENA for doing a tennis threepeat.

Go SERENA!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.