Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
great article, and i bet they will give it to her first to use...just wait!!!:bounce:

SPOTLIGHT | ON TENNIS

Serena might be one of earliest to experience instant-replay system

BY MICHELLE KAUFMAN

[email protected]

As it turns out, Serena Williams might be among the first players to test the new instant replay system at the NASDAQ-100 Open.

Top players typically get the first day of tournaments off, but Williams has slipped to No. 58 and could very well be on center court in Key Biscayne on March 22 for instant replay's official debut.

It was a controversial call in Williams' 2004 U.S. Open quarterfinal loss to Jennifer Capriati that got the instant replay debate going full-steam. ''I feel cheated,'' she said after that match, in which there was one call in particular that clearly was wrong after a replay was shown on television.

Williams has not played since losing in the third round at the Australian Open. The only headlines she has made of late were in New York last week, where she joined with a cosmetic firm, Flirt!, to launch an ''Exotic Jewels'' lipstick line.

Other players who will be on the courts in the early days are No. 41 Taylor Dent, No. 45 Tim Henman, No. 53 Marat Safin and No. 82 Vince Spadea. Wild cards were granted to Mark Philippoussis, Nicolas Lapentti, Gustavo Kuerten, Donald Young, Ashley Harkleroad and Shenay Perry, fresh off a win at the $75,000 Mirage Challenger.

Mardy Fish and Alexandra Stevenson got wild cards into the qualifying draw.

WHO'S HOT

James Blake is up to a career-high No. 14 after beating Lleyton Hewitt for the first time in seven tries last week in Las Vegas. Blake is 14-4 this year and has won two titles. . . . Rafael Nadal, back from a foot injury, beat Roger Federer in the Dubai final, ending Federer's 56-match hardcourt win streak. Nadal is 3-1 against Federer.

WHO'S NOT SO HOT

In the past month, Andy Roddick has lost in the semifinals at San Jose, Calif., to 88th-ranked Andy Murray and the quarterfinals at Memphis to 54th-ranked Julien Benneteau. . . . Robby Ginepri, who sizzled last summer, is 1-5 this year, including losses to Denis Gremelmayr, Hyung-Taik Lee, Dmitry Tursunov and Paul Goldstein.

SWEETING SUSPENDED

University of Florida freshman Ryan Sweeting, a Fort Lauderdale resident and the 2005 U.S. Open junior champion, was suspended from the team indefinitely last Thursday after being arrested for DUI, drug and alcohol possession.

A University Police Department report made public in the Independent Alligator newspaper said Sweeting, 18, was charged with a third-degree felony for possessing Adderall without a prescription and was also charged with DUI and possession of alcohol by a minor. He was arrested at 2 a.m. last Thursday and held overnight in the Alachua County Jail.

PERUVIAN WINS

Luis Horna of Peru, a 25-year-old father of two, won his first ATP title last week, defeating Juan Ignacio Chela of Argentina 7-6 (7-5), 6-4 in the Abierto Mexicano Telcel tournament in Acapulco, Mexico.

VOLUNTEERS SOUGHT

Have you always wanted to drive a Mercedes Benz? Now is your chance. The NASDAQ-100 Open is seeking volunteers for several positions, including drivers. Volunteers receive a uniform, 10 complimentary tickets, parking and meals. Call 305-444-0533 or e-mail [email protected].

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, she is no. 58 going in so she doesn't get a bye.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
49,763 Posts
It would be soo cool if she was the first on Center Court on the first day and be the first to use it!

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no, her ranking is currently number 58, and most all of the seeds will be at miami. remember, only the top 32 seeds get byes

·
49,001 Posts
I don't think players get byes in Miami, Keith. Its like a Slam, you have to win 7 matches to win the tournament.

·
Registered
9,772 Posts
King. said:
I don't think players get byes in Miami, Keith. Its like a Slam, you have to win 7 matches to win the tournament.
There are "byes". There is only 6 rounds in Miami.

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
King. said:
Unless they changed the rules from
last year, their are still bye's for the
32 seeds.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
VenusSerenaRocks said:
There are "byes". There is only 6 rounds in Miami.

yeah, there are byes, that's why this article was written. she will probably be one of the first, or the first to use this.:kiss:

·
49,001 Posts
Paneru said:
Unless they changed the rules from
last year, their are still bye's for the
32 seeds.
**Where the hell you been? :D:p**

Oh ok, thanks Paneru and VSR. I remembered wrong. :eek:

·
Registered
9,772 Posts
King. said:
**Where the hell you been? :D:p**

Oh ok, thanks Paneru and VSR. I remembered wrong. :eek:
No problem! ;)

·
Registered
456 Posts
I guess it's kinda cool and depressing news at the same time: cool that she could potentally be the first to use it, and depressing to think of such a talented player ranked in the 50s.

I'll just be happy to see her playing. :)

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Well not anymore :p ............

..... Rena withdrew from Miami :shrug:

·
Registered
152,750 Posts
err - it was already "tested" at Hopman Cup, and Misa was the first (with Peng). :p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts