Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Serena Williams must play her first round match at the Australian Open on Monday after tournament officials refused her request for a delay to help her get over an injury, the American has said.

The 20-year-old twisted her ankle during a Sydney International semifinal last week and had hoped to postpone her clash with Conchita Martinez until the second day.

But her request was declined by tournament officials.

"I have to play tomorrow, they wouldn't give me a later start, so I'm trying to just make it and we'll see," Williams said at Melbourne Park.

The former U.S. Open champion said she felt recovered from the injury which saw her on crutches in Sydney, but did not want to speculate on her chances of progressing through the first grand slam of the year.

"I just want to make sure I'm in the draw so far. I just want to play my first match and see how that goes," she said.

Last year Williams was beaten by Martina Hingis in the quarter-finals and she is due to meet the Swiss at that stage again, with the winner to face Williams's elder sister Venus in the semis.

She is looking forward to revenge.

"Oh yeah, I don't mind playing her, I don't mind playing anyone really," she said.

"I'm going to have to end up playing them anyway, and for me it is more points if I play Martina."

Williams said she was pleased to be back in Melbourne and looking forward to getting her campaign underway.

"It's the first slam of the year so obviously you're really pumped and you've been off for an while and you really want to play, you really want to do well," she said.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Assholes!
Why couldn't they let Serena and Conchita play on Tuesday, I bet they would let Jennifer, well the tour did anyways at the championships.
ARGH! Assholes!

Now she might not play :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
12,118 Posts
OMG, I'm really disappointed... :sad:

But Serena seems don't care about her ankle, and seems ok... I hope she do OK against Conchita :)

GO SERENA! OVERCOME YOUR PAIN, AND SHOW WHO YOU ARE!!!!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
OMG... how mean. Serena!! Do well here and show you stuff!

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
All they have to ask Conchita if she is okay with it, and there.
I bet Conchita would say 'yeah, it's fine', but no, the Australian Open officials suck! Hopefull Serena is fine, one more day Serena, keep that ice on, and take it easy.

·
63,523 Posts
I wonder that Conchita accepted it or not? If Conchita accepted then why the officials refused her request?

I hope Serena recovery so quickly!

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Rollo I think she is on late in the day.. she plays the last match on Court 2 .. (think it's court 2) don't know for sure:)

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Adison aren't your refering to Hingis and her pulling out of doubles injury?:rolleyes: She's a strong gal too you know.:)

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
they could have reversed the schedule. Jennifer has enough rest after losing the first round at the Adidas tourney compared to Serena and Marti.:(

·
25,384 Posts
Yep Dawn, 4th match on court 2. That's still during the day session, so it could get hot. Hingis got the night match. TV may have played some factor,as Serena's match should fit it nicely with ESPN's live coverage, which starts at 11pm eastern. It will interesting to see if Conchi tries to keep Serena out there as long as she can. Some newspapers were reporting Serena looked a little overweight and winded vs. Kournikova, though I haven't seen recent pics of her to know if that's true or not. Two years ago they were writing the same things before she crashed out to Likhovtseva, so if Conchi makes it go to 3 it may get interesting.
Then again, Serena is capable of roling right over her.

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Thta's so stupid! They probably let Andre and Pete's half rest first because they played a long exhibition!:mad: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
34,742 Posts
They should have postponed this match. But injured or not, I still think Serena will win.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
It will be a tremendous loss for the tournament if Serena withdraws. They're cutting their own throats by not postponing the match until tomorrow. :mad:

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Boooo!First the horrible draw,now this,whats next,Serena beating Martina?(I dont think so,muahahah at Becool:mad: :p )

S

·
0 Posts
Even though I'm not a fan of Serena, I just think they could have moved her match to Tuesday. I've already seen it done to other players (Sampras US Open ??? - Not sure..my memory is playing tricks on me !)....Did they explain their decision ???

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Serena forced to play Monday despite injury

I don't blame the officials for making Serena play when she is scheduled to....I'm sure the rule states that one must be in shape or good condition when they enter a big tournament like this...Heavens!:angel: It would be too difficult to juggle schedules at a time like this...that's why Martina didn't play doubles at Sydney...she had to go on right after her singles match against Kim which went three sets and she was ill from the heat and also feeling a twinge in her thigh...so no special treatments from any of the organizers..fair is fair!! If Serena can't compete...tough tiddy...although we'll miss her!!:confused:
barmaid:wavey:

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
Serena has been off for a few days now and whilst I agree that they really could have played her match a day later (but I don't think they could have reversed the draw just for her !) - I'm not sure it would have made any great difference when she played.

Either she's fit to play or she isn't.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If your'll not going to do it for other,you shouldn"t do it period.They delay plays for other,when they weren"t feeling good.But if MS WILLIAMS should get up Monday morning and have to pull out, everyone would hello.Some times one just can win.I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST SERENA.:wavey: :D :) :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts