·
Registered
53,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #741
6-7 6-3 6-7 :cry:

Serena lost her first ever Fed Cup singles rubber :(

Sooooo close. Painful loss.
The 1st and 3rd set were UGLY to watch.

Serena is just a MESS these days. That was hard to watch.
So inconsistent, very bad/slow movement, many UEs, too weak serve.
She has zero consistency anymore. Completely up and down.

Mentally Serena also has become weaker. Nervous now. Far from mentally strong.
These 3 wasted SPs at 6-5 in first set. They hurt a lot.
She was bad in the tiebreaks. Too weak serving, too many UEs.

Total points won:
113 Serena
105 Sevastova

If this is her normal level now, Serena has a problem. It will be difficult to win another Slam.

USA 2-2 Latvia. The doubles must be won!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Another loss to a player she had previously trounced in a Slam: first Wang, now Sevastova.

And this is why I was really hoping for Kenin to get past Ostapenko. After that awful match yesterday, it looked like Serena was primed to lose her first ever Fed Cup singles match, in what could be the last in her entire career. What a shame.

A lot went wrong:
  • Slow start: was broken three times in a row to start the match.
  • Struggled to find quality first serves: she brought in her margins to get more in as the match progressed, but still couldn't find the clutch serves she's known for.
  • Lack of execution: would get herself on the front foot in a rally, and botch the finishing shot. This happened from the baseline, and at the net.
  • Poor footwork: she dumped shot after shot into the net, from both wings. Why? She wasn't moving up to the ball.
  • Terrible net play: not just the wild volleys, but the approach shots and easy putaways on drop shots.
  • More misery: Serena looked more miserable than Sevastova for most of the match. Let that sink in.
On the bright side:
  • She eased up on the grunting, and her play improved substantially. I hope she remembers that for the rest of the year. All the grunting does is tell her opponent that she's panicking. A calm Serena is far more dangerous.
  • Made adjustments: after that dreadful 1st set, she calmed down and raised her level. Also brought the 1st serve percentage up.
  • Showed flashes of brilliance: for moments, she showed the level we all know and love. Unfortunately, she couldn't sustain that level. Nice to see it's still there, though.
Honestly, I'm not too broken up about the match, as it's the Slams (and Olympics) I really care about at this moment. Still, the patchy, off-and-on quality of play she's shown over the past three matches is concerning.

I don't know what she does for her warmup or preparation, but these frequent slow starts make me think that something needs to change. Yes, she's 38, but one's never too old to make some adjustments. You can't just go spotting your opponents 1-3 games at the start of the match and expect to come out on top. Young Serena could probably recover from those situations, but she's not a spring chicken anymore. Gotta be dialed in from the start.

Oh, well. Guess we'll see how the doubles pans out. Full credit to Sevastova who actually played at a high level for the entire match, and not just chunks. I have to say that she was the deserved victor -- there's no denying that.

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,114 Posts
at this rate she'd lose to.........................
That honestly feels like the next step ?

These past few years are just... wow. Giving a walkover at RG, losing another slam F to Kerber, getting a virtual double bagel from Konta, getting a game penalty in a slam F, blowing a 5-1 lead with MPs in Australia, losing to Kenin, losing to a clay courter in 56 minutes in the F of Wimbledon, giving a retirement in a F, losing her 4th straight slam F, taking her earliest loss at a HC major in 14 years, and now losing her first ever Fed Cup match. She's on a worldwide clown tour.

And the loss that seemed to annoy her the most was..... losing to Venus in her first event back @ MAGA Wells???? Please make that make sense!!!!!!!!!

·
Rena's Army
34,943 Posts

These past few years are just... wow. Giving a walkover at RG, losing another slam F to Kerber, getting a virtual double bagel from Konta, getting a game penalty in a slam F, blowing a 5-1 lead with MPs in Australia, losing to Kenin, losing to a clay courter in 56 minutes in the F of Wimbledon, giving a retirement in a F, losing her 4th straight slam F, taking her earliest loss at a HC major in 14 years, and now losing her first ever Fed Cup match. She's on a worldwide clown tour.

And the loss that seemed to annoy her the most was..... losing to Venus in her first event back @ MAGA Wells???? Please make that make sense!!!!!!!!!
we must be the bigger clowns since we keep watching and hoping something may be different, when she keeps taking vacations while everyone else is playing ???

age has caught up, but I don't think her ego will let her make the adjustments necessary at this point. It was cute being MMRena when she was young and actually turned up at slams. Now it's sad to see that she can't even raise her level at Fed Cup of all places.

·
Registered
53,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #745 (Edited)
Is it time to seriously wonder what's going on with Serena?
Agree :(

Serena seems past her peak. And fading more and more.

Her weak level at Aus Open (R3 exit) and now Fed Cup too is worrying.
(I mean she had so much time to improve in off-season.)

Serena can lose to so many players now ...

? welp

she's really got to change something as this is getting hard to watch. She got so cry-babyish at one point for no reason at all. Apart from some cute points here and there, the declined serve and plenty unforced errors are a far cry from a few years ago and seem to be here to stay unless there's a mental and physical change. 60 UFE isn't gonna cut it, and if she wants to tank then please do it in less time.
Yes, the declined serve! Nobody talks about it. But that is a problem.
This once amazing very impressive weapon (which helped her in so many important moments, she used to fire so many Aces) is gone or not as strong anymore.

Plus she is a nervous mental wreck now.
Serena used to be the mentally strongest player (before the pregnancy).

And her footwork/movement is awful and slow.

It´s almost as if she lost her superpower with her pregnancy.

Also the age is a factor (which many ignore).

·
Registered
793 Posts
This was an atrocious night, but seeing Serena pick up Kenin after the doubles win was really cute lol She really seems to like Kenin.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
I know its just Fed Cup but man, Serena's level was horrific. I'm getting nervous that this is the new normal. I'll wait until IW/Miami but things arent looking good at all.

·
Registered
215 Posts

You're a damn clown. LMAO.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Y'all do realize that Serena won AO during a year in which it was unusually fast, right? These slow hard-courts do not suit her game at all in this stage of her career. That's why I am not expecting much from IW/Miami, and I won't be alarmed if she does poorly in one/or both. She needs to focus on the clay. IMO, she's vulnerable to more people on the surface, but there are less people at the top that can challenge her, especially at the latter stages of a slam. If she can build some momentum and get through the first week of the FO, she can absolutely be a contender.

The only thing that can make up for her slow movement is better footwork. She needs to realize that she can't get away with her (lack of) athleticism anymore.

·
Registered
84,951 Posts

·
Registered
84,951 Posts

·
Registered
84,951 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Lol some of y’all are over dramatic. Whatever Serena’s level is rn, she just made 4 slam finals in the past two years and isn’t going to just fall off overnight. She’s a mess, I agree, but trying to act like she’s gonna become the new Sharapova is a joke, especially some of y’all who I thought were ride or die.

No matter how many times she loses or breaks my heart or lets Alexis negatively influence her, I know she will find a way or at least do everything in her power to find a way. If she finishes the year with a few more round 3 losses, we can start to panic, but now is not the time folks. She will correct the problem soon.

·
Registered
84,951 Posts

·
Registered
84,951 Posts

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,114 Posts
You're a damn clown. LMAO.
For real though!!! She was bitter af!!

Q. Just talk about it.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I think this is the best she's played in a while. She didn't make a lot of errors. She served very consistently. You know, she just did everything great.

For her, I think it was a really good match.

Q. You know her so well. Are there parts of her game that you think have improved even more over the last few years?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, tonight I think everything was good. Everything kind of improved.

Yeah, so I definitely know her well, but she definitely played a little bit better than she normally does today.
Then she logged onto IG 2 hours later while curled in bed, whispering to the camera, "My S stands for Survivor," and promising that she'll persevere. Veesus whooping that ass had her all in her feelings. Now she's out here losing to Wang and playing dress up on IG.

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
For real though!!! She was bitter af!!

Then she logged onto IG 2 hours later while curled in bed, whispering to the camera, "My S stands for Survivor," and promising that she'll persevere. Veesus whooping that ass had her all in her feelings. Now she's out here losing to Wang and playing dress up on IG.

LM-AO.

She hates losing to Vee. Her face during the Wimbledon 2008 trophy presentation was everything ?
Meanwhile Halep and all sorts are out there devasting her cooch on the weekly, and she couldn't appear happier...

·
Premium Member
19,674 Posts
Welp, all I can say is I'm happy Serena is still playing despite being a mess rather than going back on vacation. I still think Serena is going to have to get in the best physical shape she can but even that won't guarantee 24. With Fiona making her comeback and the girls not scared of Serena due to so much inconsistency I'm not going to expect anything this season. I just hope she can find some way to play better.

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
Welp, all I can say is I'm happy Serena is still playing despite being a mess rather than going back on vacation. I still think Serena is going to have to get in the best physical shape she can but even that won't guarantee 24. With Fiona making her comeback and the girls not scared of Serena due to so much inconsistency I'm not going to expect anything this season. I just hope she can find some way to play better.
That'll be the key.
I was watching some 2015 highlights yesterday, and she was playing with so much freedom. When your fitness and footwork almost have you ruled out of extended rallies, the pressure must be unimaginable.
I don't doubt she has the work ethic, but I wonder about the commitment.

·
Registered
84,951 Posts

741 - 760 of 775 Posts