Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
3) Dozens of you wondered, in so many words, what was I smoking when I wrote that Serena Williams might be a little nervous about the recent success of Henin-Hardenne? Writes Veronica of Milan, Italy: "What do mean Serena should be worried? Hello, she's the world's best player and she waxed Henin-Hardenne at Wimbledon! Even John McEnroe concedes that Serena still plays on level above the rest of the women. Remember, Serena was leading in the third set at the French Open before Henin-Hardenne cheated.?"

L. Treadwell of Chicago even dealt me the race card: "I think that the tennis media is desperate to find a Caucasian player who they can praise and put on the level of the Williams sisters."

I reread what I wrote and I don't think it's all that radical. I'm not saying Serena is hiding under the covers or quaking in her Manolo Blahniks over the prospect of playing Henin-Hardenne. But surely there's cause for significant concern. Henin-Hardenne has beaten Serena two of the last three times they've played. Henin-Hardenne has won two of the last three Slams and five other events this year. Despite standing 5-foot-5, 125 pounds or so, she sure doesn't get overpowered much. But above all, Henin-Hardene is supremely confident on the court these days. Unlike so many of her colleagues, Henin-Hardenne is playing fearless tennis and she has shown a willingness to meet the moment. You get the feeling that, simply by virtue of her aura, Serena has beaten a good many top players before she hits the first ball. As we saw at Wimbledon, the faster the surface, the better Serena will fare against Henin-Hardenne. But even on hard courts, I say Serena "only" beats Henin-Hardenne six or seven times out of 10. Given how Serena has run roughshod over everyone else -- Venus included -- this passes for a rivalry. Whatever your take, can we all agree that women's tennis will benefit immensely the next time the two stars who have split the four Majors in 2003 are in the same draw?

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I mean come on John! Even on clay it´s a struggle for Justine to win, on grass we all saw what happened and then you want us to believe that Justine is gonna beat Serena three times on hardcourts, when she´s never even come close of taking a set off Serena on any surface other than clay?! Yeah, Justine did win the Open....but that was more due to a GAGJOB of Jen than any other thing!

Serena ain´t scared of no Justine. Not even on clay!

Reactions: wtn_amanda

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Justine crushed Serena on clay 6-4, 6-3 earlier this year...

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
selesrules said:
Uhum, uhum.....but would have she won in Paris without crowd involvement or hand-trick?! One thing many people are forgetting: After a brutal first set, Serena was WINNING that match....only way Justine won?! Hand thing, crowd gets to Serena for some line-calls...

Reactions: skanky~skanketta

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
selesrules said:
Welcome back, how did you enjoy your vacation :wavey:

Henin won that match 6-3, 6-4 and Serena played like shyt for most of the match and gave Henin the points with errors.

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Knizzle said:

Henin won that match 6-3, 6-4 and Serena played like shyt for most of the match and gave Henin the points with errors.
Yep....Justine will always hang with Serena on clay, but that´s it. On any other surface it ain´t even close! Watch wimbledon and you know the answer. All Justine could do was run and run....hoping that Serena would miss!

Besides if Jen would have worked more on her fitness she wouldn´t have lost against Juju and this talk would have been mute.

·
Premium Member
19,823 Posts
Hmmm? Serena scared of Justine?

Nah. She spanked Justine on grass easily after Justine won on clay due to Serena's self destruction on clay.

I think Justine "THINKS" that Serena is scared, that she THINKS she can beat her.

LOL.

Reactions: vs1

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
I am a Williams fan, but I'd like to see what the Justine fans have to say about this.

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
harloo said:
Hmmm? Serena scared of Justine?

Nah. She spanked Justine on grass easily after Justine won on clay due to Serena's self destruction on clay.

I think Justine "THINKS" that Serena is scared, that she THINKS she can beat her.

LOL.
Yeah, and Serena likes to prove people wrong. Remember how Jen used to THINK she can beat Serena?! Me neither....

Reactions: vs1

·
Chionophile
40,070 Posts
Knizzle said:

So Serena choked right? Haha.

Justine also choked in the Wimbledon semi-final. Cause the expectation was on her, she had beaten Serena the last two times, and she was the French champion. She just couldn't do anything right, she looked like a nervous wreck as soon she stepped on court. haha!

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sam L said:

Justine also choked in the Wimbledon semi-final. Cause the expectation was on her, she had beaten Serena the last two times, and she was the French champion. She just couldn't do anything right, she looked like a nervous wreck as soon she stepped on court. haha!
Probably or was it this: She KNEW that Serena was coming to her! She knew that all this" what happened in Paris, stayed in Paris"-talk was crap and that Serena wanted blood!

·
Premium Member
19,823 Posts
Sam L said:

Justine really got her ass beat at Wimbledon in the semis. It really had nothing to do with the way Justine was playing. It was just the surface, and Serena was all over her.

Justine has a better chance against a williams on clay, but that's about it.

·
Chionophile
40,070 Posts
harloo said:
Justine really got her ass beat at Wimbledon in the semis. It really had nothing to do with the way Justine was playing. It was just the surface, and Serena was all over her.

Justine has a better chance against a williams on clay, but that's about it.
Exactly! Weren't you thinking the same thing when Amelie got beat by Serena at FO or when Kim got beat by Justine at US Open? :confused:

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
Serena's is scared of anyone, thats pretty much the bottom line... Now everyone else on the tour, well they all have a little apprehension of playing her, and thats the bottom line.

·
Banned
908 Posts
Why do you spend energy and time debating this stuff? Records speak for themselves. Tennis is played on different surfaces so you just have to deal with it. There isn't a surface that points out the "BEST" player.

Go on and debate this crap until you die, if you wish

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Sam L said:

The fact that you need to bring this up on every hand just shows your maturity level. We know Serena didn't choke. Justine was afraid in the Wimbledon semi, but she played pretty good considering.

·
Banned
191 Posts
Fucking Christ! It's tennis, you losers. Serena played well when she beat Justine, Justine played poorly, vice-versa. One match does not define a rivalry. Henin will beat Serena MANY more times on VARIOUS surfaces. Thankyou.

·
Chionophile
40,070 Posts
Knizzle said:
The fact that you need to bring this up on every hand just shows your maturity level. We know Serena didn't choke. Justine was afraid in the Wimbledon semi, but she played pretty good considering.
Hey you asked for it. So you got it!

Justine was afraid? So what's worse? Being afraid or being nervous? I'd think being afraid was much worse. So Justine choked, if not worse. That's WHY she lost.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts