Tennis Forum banner

521 - 531 of 531 Posts

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
Hey everyone, for my first post I thought I'd introduce myself over here. My father was a big tennis fan and I grew up watching Agassi and Sampras, but started following women's tennis more seriously once the Williams sisters made their debut, and have been a huge fan of both ever since (I feel like Oracene when they play each other). I wrote the following on another board during RG this year, after an annoying article had questioned her resolve or focus or ability to beat better players on clay, and thought I'd share:

---

I fell in love with watching Serena Williams back in January 2003 during the Australian Open, as a college freshman. Serena had the big shots, the #1 ranking and seed, and the intimidation factor, but there was one opponent of hers that never seemed rattled: Kim Clijsters, who had won their last matchup in straight sets. On this day, in the Semi-finals, Clijsters seemed to be inside Serena's head, always knowing where the shot was going to go, and having a Jedi-like ability to will Serena to take low-percentage shots. After opening strong, Serena's focus had cracked in the 2nd set, and completely fallen apart in the 3rd - she was down 1-5, down two match points, facing an end to her run and the "Serena Slam" of holding all 4 major titles at once.

So, Serena got angry. Well, angry's not even the right word for it - she was ENRAGED. Destroyed a racket. Got a conduct warning. Her frustration had been building and building, and now she was just FURIOUS with herself, not to mention staring down elimination. But unlike other people whose anger gets the better of them, Serena's anger somehow focuses her and kicks her into a top gear. Suddenly hitting everything twice as hard, she proceeded to BLOW CLIJSTERS OFF THE COURT. Six games in a row, including 3 breaks of serve, against the world #4... and took the 3rd set 7-5 to win the semifinal. Once that switch was flipped, Kim Clijsters never had a chance, poor girl - but really, nobody else would have either. That day was tennis magic.

In over 12 years since that day, Serena has re-created that magic time and again. It's part of who she is, a core part of what makes her great. That adrenaline rush, the sudden focus that turns errors into winners, is why I watch her and enjoy following the tour. And now today, I read about her most recent Tennis Lazarus act, returning from the dead 3 matches in a row in the French Open to smite her opponents, and see the same breathless tone in the articles - "she can't keep this up!", or "don't be surprised if her next opponent takes it to her!", or "she's getting old, this is the wheels coming off!". Hogwash, all of it. She can keep this up because she's done it her whole life. Her next opponent is irrelevant, she will dictate the pace of play and always has, just about the only one who beats Serena Williams is herself. And she'll keep doing it until her body gives out, because the joy she gets from crushing fools out there on the tennis court never gets old. May she keep it going for a long time.

---

Looking forward to learning more about the game with everyone here, in SS and on TF in general.
Welcome Denzera!:wavey:

·
Registered
14,186 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Hi,

Quick introduction. I've been a Serena and Venus fan since 1998, and so vividly remember the disdainful UK press reaction to Richard announcing them as future number 1 and 2 players... the haughty sneering really was unnecessary. One particular journalist took great delight in pointing out their failings in minute detail when they didn't make it past most of the early Grand Slam rounds. Until Serena's "surprise" US open win...

Since ~2009 I've been increasingly team Serena (I used to stan for both sisters equally) and like most Serena fans, this last year has been beyond my wildest dreams. After she got to 7 and had that fallow year I thought her slam days were over (Aus Open 2007 was incredible for that reason) and after 13 and the surgery/pulmonary embolism I thought the same, so Wimbledon 2012 was just unbelievable.

The 2012 Olympics is still my favourite match of hers, but I'd like to think that the sweetest victory is still to come...

Ps: Goodness knows why it took me this long to join a tennis forum! I'm a huge sports fan and used to post on another sports forum which has a tennis section, but there's nothing like an entire forum dedicated to the Queen of Tennis!

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
Hmmm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello!

My name is Jordan. I'm 22 and I live in Sydney, Australia.

I used to be patriotic and support the Australian players, but it is only in the last 2-3 years that I have appreciated Serena's brilliance. Her victory against Kerber inspired me to join the forum and keep up to date with any Serena-related news.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
How have I never posted in here?!?!

Anyways, I of course knew of Serena and Venus since they came onto the scene in the late 90's/ early 00's (Hard not to, they were global phenoms from the start) but didn't avidly follow their careers. I was a casual tennis fan in the 00's and would sometimes watch the slams casually on TV when they popped up.

I wasn't fully "enlightened" to Serena and her greatness until I watched her entire Wimbledon 2012 match against Vika. I was just amazed by her presence, her determination, her confidence, and of course her fierce game. I somehow knew she was a mad black woman on a mission without having any idea about the Razzano loss at the French until the commentators mentioned it. There's no person I've ever witnessed that's as polarizing as Serena Williams, she truly grabs people's attention without even trying. Her greatness was further proven to me in the final when she was down 1-2 in the third set against Radwanska and she served those 4 aces in a row. Anyways, I immediately started stanning after Wimbledon 2012, and I started binge watching all her matches on YouTube, piecing together her career and legacy.

Serena's influence to me goes way beyond the tennis court, however. She is a full-on role model to me and I admire the hell out of her. Her will, grit, and determination to overcome her adversities is astonishing to say the least. She inspires me to be the best I can be, to never apologize for who I am, and above all to love myself.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hello all:

My name is Aaron and I love Serena (and Venus). Growing up I always loved me some Williams Sisters, but I didn't get really get into tennis until the AO 2007. I was 14 and would watch it late night on weekends (I live in the Eastern Time zone of the US). I remember watching Serena play Shahar Peer and I turned off the match thinking she lost. Imagine my surprise a couple days later she's spanking Sharapova in the final. I was oohing and aaahing with the commentators and the crowd. She has had me hooked since....

In fact, I just joined TF today just so I can be able to post about her without feeling ashamed at how much I love her haha.

Nice to meet you all!

521 - 531 of 531 Posts