Tennis Forum banner

501 - 520 of 531 Posts

·
*PLAYING TENNIS*
2,050 Posts
I wish I would've saw what those deleted post said before they were gone. This is stupidity at its best. HAHA.

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Hi, my name is Stephen. I may have come on here before, but I've been a Serena fan since 1998. Long time fan, and she's the reason why I took tennis seriously and almost played NCAA tennis.

I'm a piano teacher and I am a trained classical pianist.

Just thought I would reintroduce myself.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello everyone.:wavey: I've lurked on this board for awhile but just decided to start posting in anticipation of Serena's 19th major! Maybe I should have started out in here first to avoid accusations of being a Sharapova fan/spy.:lol: Honestly, you couldn't insult me more if you tried. :tears:

I've been a WS fan since 2000. I've watched every major match they've played and feel so privileged to watch both sisters continue to make history with each and every win. I love that they keep the haters eating their words. I love Venus but I stan hard for Serena. I'm just so happy to see her playing well again after last year's difficulties. I just really want her to beat Graf's GS record. I know it's asking a lot but when all is said and done, I want there to be no doubt about her being the greatest female tennis champion of all time.

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
Welcome to SS

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
It just occurred to me I never actually posted in here to say hello to the board... sorry if that's a faux pas :D

Hi, fellow Rena fans!

Been lurking for awhile but had to join... this place is hilarious.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey everyone, for my first post I thought I'd introduce myself over here. My father was a big tennis fan and I grew up watching Agassi and Sampras, but started following women's tennis more seriously once the Williams sisters made their debut, and have been a huge fan of both ever since (I feel like Oracene when they play each other). I wrote the following on another board during RG this year, after an annoying article had questioned her resolve or focus or ability to beat better players on clay, and thought I'd share:

---

I fell in love with watching Serena Williams back in January 2003 during the Australian Open, as a college freshman. Serena had the big shots, the #1 ranking and seed, and the intimidation factor, but there was one opponent of hers that never seemed rattled: Kim Clijsters, who had won their last matchup in straight sets. On this day, in the Semi-finals, Clijsters seemed to be inside Serena's head, always knowing where the shot was going to go, and having a Jedi-like ability to will Serena to take low-percentage shots. After opening strong, Serena's focus had cracked in the 2nd set, and completely fallen apart in the 3rd - she was down 1-5, down two match points, facing an end to her run and the "Serena Slam" of holding all 4 major titles at once.

So, Serena got angry. Well, angry's not even the right word for it - she was ENRAGED. Destroyed a racket. Got a conduct warning. Her frustration had been building and building, and now she was just FURIOUS with herself, not to mention staring down elimination. But unlike other people whose anger gets the better of them, Serena's anger somehow focuses her and kicks her into a top gear. Suddenly hitting everything twice as hard, she proceeded to BLOW CLIJSTERS OFF THE COURT. Six games in a row, including 3 breaks of serve, against the world #4... and took the 3rd set 7-5 to win the semifinal. Once that switch was flipped, Kim Clijsters never had a chance, poor girl - but really, nobody else would have either. That day was tennis magic.

In over 12 years since that day, Serena has re-created that magic time and again. It's part of who she is, a core part of what makes her great. That adrenaline rush, the sudden focus that turns errors into winners, is why I watch her and enjoy following the tour. And now today, I read about her most recent Tennis Lazarus act, returning from the dead 3 matches in a row in the French Open to smite her opponents, and see the same breathless tone in the articles - "she can't keep this up!", or "don't be surprised if her next opponent takes it to her!", or "she's getting old, this is the wheels coming off!". Hogwash, all of it. She can keep this up because she's done it her whole life. Her next opponent is irrelevant, she will dictate the pace of play and always has, just about the only one who beats Serena Williams is herself. And she'll keep doing it until her body gives out, because the joy she gets from crushing fools out there on the tennis court never gets old. May she keep it going for a long time.

---

Looking forward to learning more about the game with everyone here, in SS and on TF in general.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Well thats some intro Denzera....lol This is a special forum, full of awesome people and real knowledgeable passionate tennis fans. Ive made some real connections here through the years- and we've been through it all!! The injuries, long absences from the tour, the self-doubt, ranking plummeting to unbelievable lows, bad losses- and luckily we've been able to ride some incredible highs. Highs that other people who are not Rena can never truly understand. Serena Is a unique kind of inspiration, so its a pleasure to be in good company admiring her. Welcome aboard- welcome one and welcome all! (i missed the newbies earlier in the year)

501 - 520 of 531 Posts