Tennis Forum banner

161 - 180 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Shalom,

LMBO! God love little Olympia and all
of her precious and adorable self, but she did come at an inopportune time career wise.

So, my fellow tennis and more importantly Serena fans. If you will; let’s really discuss this. What do you think 2021 has in store for Miss S. Williams?

I am going to be very blunt, if Serena doesn’t put more emphasis on her fitness; it’s over. In her own words, she has 8 weeks to recover from this achilles heal injury. At the earliest that puts her at the end of November, and at the latest early December, which gives her a month to put in the gym work and up her fitness regiment to be at her best come the AO. In my humble opinion; there is no 2022 or beyond if it doesn’t happen next year, it won’t happen at all! Clearly her game is still there, but her fitness isn’t. Combine this with lack of match play, and I am not talking Auckland type matches, but entering events where the rest of the top 10 will be playing, as she needs to get use to playing them because they will (more than likely) be the players she has to go through to win it all. Plain and simple, Serena for the next year needs to temporarily shift her focus back onto tennis one last time. It is my hope that she puts the other business ventures on pause, allow Alexis who seems to be a great dad take over for a little while and focus her mind, body, and soul on tennis. Or, in her own words concentrate on the one thing (outside of Olympia) she does best. IF she does these two things: 1. fitness and 2. prioritize her tennis than I see a record book trophy in her possession, and if God is really smiling on her with the right draw and good health you never know. I wouldn’t count her out for 2, BUT after she works on fitness and her priority/rededication to what made her who she is now, tennis. The ball (no pun intended) is truly in her court!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Can anyone make sense of Serena’s deteriorating net game? It’s crazy to watch some of her oldest matches and see her so comfortable at net. Is it a lack of confidence? Venus is one of the GOAT doubles players, but they didn’t win that many metals or titles without Serena at least being able to hold her own, especially at net. When a ball used to pop up, I knew the point would be over with a Serena winner. I now get anxious when she gets anything short or takes anything out of the air lol.

Im watching Serena-Graf highlights from their IW match and I maintain the idea that Serena (and several other players from her gen) would have clobbered Graf on a regular basis outside of clay. There were several occasions where Graf sliced to Serena’s backhand and Serena changed the pace by slicing back and hit a winner off the next ball. Serena, unlike most of Graf’s opponents, could hit to Graf’s forehand on a regular basis while pinning her deep into the baseline. Some of Steffi’s forehands were barely crossing the service line towards the end of the match because she was being pushed back so much.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Can anyone make sense of Serena’s deteriorating net game? It’s crazy to watch some of her oldest matches and see her so comfortable at net. Is it a lack of confidence? Venus is one of the GOAT doubles players, but they didn’t win that many metals or titles without Serena at least being able to hold her own, especially at net. When a ball used to pop up, I knew the point would be over with a Serena winner. I now get anxious when she gets anything short or takes anything out of the air lol.

Im watching Serena-Graf highlights from their IW match and I maintain the idea that Serena (and several other players from her gen) would have clobbered Graf on a regular basis outside of clay. There were several occasions where Graf sliced to Serena’s backhand and Serena changed the pace by slicing back and hit a winner off the next ball. Serena, unlike most of Graf’s opponents, could hit to Graf’s forehand on a regular basis while pinning her deep into the baseline. Some of Steffi’s forehands were barely crossing the service line towards the end of the match because she was being pushed back so much.
Serena was a decent net player from 1999 to 2003, mostly because she was so fast that she could sneak to the net very easily. From 2003 to 2005, the combination of the knee & ankle injuries and loss of motivation and fitness hampered her forward movement and made her way less confident and effective at the net. Serena just lost the habit of hitting volleys. Even in strong seasons like 2009 and 2010 her net game was pretty terrible.

In 2012-13 Serena's net game was decent but that was just the result of her overall game and fitness being so strong and consistent.

Since then Serena still has had randomly good volley moments, like the W 2016 final or that USO SF in 2018 (where did that come from...) but overall yes, her volleys have been pretty dreadful since 2013.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Serena was a decent net player from 1999 to 2003, mostly because she was so fast that she could sneak to the net very easily. From 2003 to 2005, the combination of the knee & ankle injuries and loss of motivation and fitness hampered her forward movement and made her way less confident and effective at the net. Serena just lost the habit of hitting volleys. Even in strong seasons like 2009 and 2010 her net game was pretty terrible.

In 2012-13 Serena's net game was decent but that was just the result of her overall game and fitness being so strong and consistent.

Since then Serena still has had randomly good volley moments, like the W 2016 final or that USO SF in 2018 (where did that come from...) but overall yes, her volleys have been pretty dreadful since 2013.
Awesome post.

I love this post.

Rarely do I read something on here and agree with absolutely everything. Thanks!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Shalom,

LMBO! God love little Olympia and all
of her precious and adorable self, but she did come at an inopportune time career wise.

So, my fellow tennis and more importantly Serena fans. If you will; let’s really discuss this. What do you think 2021 has in store for Miss S. Williams?

I am going to be very blunt, if Serena doesn’t put more emphasis on her fitness; it’s over. In her own words, she has 8 weeks to recover from this achilles heal injury. At the earliest that puts her at the end of November, and at the latest early December, which gives her a month to put in the gym work and up her fitness regiment to be at her best come the AO. In my humble opinion; there is no 2022 or beyond if it doesn’t happen next year, it won’t happen at all! Clearly her game is still there, but her fitness isn’t. Combine this with lack of match play, and I am not talking Auckland type matches, but entering events where the rest of the top 10 will be playing, as she needs to get use to playing them because they will (more than likely) be the players she has to go through to win it all. Plain and simple, Serena for the next year needs to temporarily shift her focus back onto tennis one last time. It is my hope that she puts the other business ventures on pause, allow Alexis who seems to be a great dad take over for a little while and focus her mind, body, and soul on tennis. Or, in her own words concentrate on the one thing (outside of Olympia) she does best. IF she does these two things: 1. fitness and 2. prioritize her tennis than I see a record book trophy in her possession, and if God is really smiling on her with the right draw and good health you never know. I wouldn’t count her out for 2, BUT after she works on fitness and her priority/rededication to what made her who she is now, tennis. The ball (no pun intended) is truly in her court!
Yup.

Post-Quarantine Serena is not the same as Pre-Quarantine Serena. And Post-Olympia Serena is not the same as Pre-Olympia Serena...But Post-Olympia Serena can still win GS. Post-Quarantine Serena, however...

One last push. Her body is a gift from the Gods. It's mostly mental, but now it's a little more physical. She seems HEAVY on the court -- like her actual steps are heavy.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Serena’s been posting on social media that she’s signed up Olympia for tennis lessons and Serena is staying out of it.. except she wants her to have good technique.

Olympia better not listen to Momma’s volleying advice. 🤫
Damn... in 2032, with Serena in her last USO appearance before her retirement at 50 years old, she will meet Olympia in the finals. This will be Serena’s 10th finals attempt at trying to reach 24. She will be bageled by Olympia, 6-0, 6-0. This will be Olympia’s first and only slam, as she retires at 15 to spend time with Granny-Rena.

Seriously though, it’s crazy to think that one day a mother-daughter match is possible with how long players are staying on the tour these days. Had Serena or Venus got pregnant at 18-20, their kid would be 18-20 right now. I mean, Bianca vs Serena could have been Olympia vs Serena if Serena would have started having kids early.

This has never happened before correct? Father/son, Mother/daughter matches? Hell, even a mixed doubles match would be interesting. Or has a duo ever played doubles together?

·
Registered
8,076 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
http://instagr.am/p/CGzr4tAHZA8/

Bitch wtf. She looks snatched as HELL. The ponytail + boots on her are giving me life. Please bring this energy onto the court in Australia.

An achilles "injury" in those boots... IMO she pulled out of Paris as a precaution due to the conditions. I don't think the achilles will be an issue during the off-season, and I thought that before she posted this pic. Who knows, though.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
http://instagr.am/p/CGzr4tAHZA8/

Bitch wtf. She looks snatched as HELL. The ponytail + boots on her are giving me life. Please bring this energy onto the court in Australia.

An achilles "injury" in those boots... IMO she pulled out of Paris as a precaution due to the conditions. I don't think the achilles will be an issue during the off-season, and I thought that before she posted this pic. Who knows, though.
In one of her stories from 8 hours ago she’s in the gym presumably working out. Maybe she sacrificed FO to train and surprise these girls in Australia... Rena coming for the Golden Slam in 2021

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I dreamt that Serena won #24 by beating Halep in the RG final 1-6 6-4 6-1. It felt so real 😭 😭 😭
Girl you would put yourself through a 1-6 first set?! At that point, Serena fans would be throwing in the towel. You must have been hyped for her to come back from down a set on clay against Halep!

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Girl you would put yourself through a 1-6 first set?! At that point, Serena fans would be throwing in the towel. You must have been hyped for her to come back from down a set on clay against Halep!
In the dream I tuned in when she went up a break in the final set. 😂

The crowd was roaring for Serena. It was amazing. 😭😭😭

161 - 180 of 239 Posts