Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 225 Posts

· Registered
1,385 Posts
So serious question... when is Serena going to start electing to receive first? Went down 0-2 in both sets today when she served first. That will work against Ahn... it’s proven in the last four finals that going down 0-2 isn’t going to work.

For reference, in the last four finals she served first against Andreescu, Kerber, and Halep and was broken each time. She only held serve against Osaka.

I feel like she’s too damn nervous and shaky to go out and serve in the first game. Get settled in, hit a few balls, and then she may do better on her service game. Added bonus if you break, then you feel a lot less pressure on your service game.
She will never do that because of pride. But I agree 100%. She seems to get broken in the opening game a lot more than pre-baby Serena. She comes out a little slow nowadays.

· Registered
1,385 Posts
Despite the health concerns, part of me really does want Serena to go to Paris. I feel like it's there for the taking, given the number of players who pulled out. Even though Vika's on a tear, I'm not worried about her, and I'm not overly worried about Halep either.
She’s already in France. 😎

· Registered
1,385 Posts
I'm floored.
Are these just good angles? 👀
How has she done this in two weeks?
You can kind of see it in her face, too.
She does look snatched, and she needs to be for clay.
I mean, I thought she looked good in Cincy/NY. I also think her dresses haven’t been as a flattering to her body, I love when she wears the tight tops, it really shows us her fitness. Reminds me of 2012/2013 when she’s wear these long sleeves in doubles or at the tour events. Let’s hope this fitness translates to some great results!

· Registered
1,385 Posts
2019 Wimbledon final is the biggest mental collapse of her career. She got shook because Simona hit a couple of good shots. Even 2018 Serena would have performed better mentally. 2015 Serena was just oozing confidence at the slams until the pressure became too much.

· Registered
1,385 Posts
The stat's from that match say it all. Serena was schyte. That this could happen to her at Wimbledon and against Halep just shows how serious a problem it is.

Serena needs to beat that girl at Wimbledon. There are too many people who are acting like Serena wasn't role-playing Mashona Washington for that entire match.
Mashona Washington. 😭😭😭

· Registered
1,385 Posts
she already looked very nervy at RG and wimbledon. don't forget she choked 6-3 *4-1 40-15 at RG.

nervousrena became a regular appearance since her 2012 comeback. it was a matter of time she would be punished, and vinci did it.
But she kept finding a way. That was the difference, she was able to work through the nerves (for the most part, 2014 was a mess with injuries and such). For me, during 2012-2016, if she messed up a slam mentally, she would come back the next slam with a vengeance. In 2019, I just wish she had that fire to win because she missed winning. Not playing for records.Honestly, 2019 US Open was for the taking as well. She was hitting the ball and moving so well until the final.

· Registered
1,385 Posts
Patrick has to gas Serena up, it’s like his reverse psychology. I also want to clarify, I still think Serena has a very good chance at the AO but her focus needs to be at an all time high. I’m hoping she can commit to this one final season because the sun is setting here.
Very true. In that “Playbook” show, Patrick was talking about how he kept telling Serena her volleying and net approaches were fantastic and fibbed about her percentages up there at Wimbledon 2015. She thought she was atrocious (which she was) but he said she was winning >80% of them... after that she started hitting better approach shots and her confidence went up.

· Registered
1,385 Posts
Is Serena able to practice right now? Her Insta stories, she talks about being in “isolation” but she still gets to have hitting sessions right?

· Registered
1,385 Posts
I think she's always generally had a strong core though. Usually if she's carrying weight it's in her legs.
I think the C-section destroyed her core post-pregnancy. I do think a strong core affects your balance, shots, and all around game. It would explain some of the struggles. If she’s strengthened her core during the pay year, it can only lead to good things!

1 - 20 of 225 Posts