Tennis Forum banner

5141 - 5156 of 5156 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
This channel is currently uploading full matches of Serena's 2007 AO matches......ESPN version. The commentary in the early rounds.......phew. Gary Carillo REALLY goes in on her in the JJ match. To the point of openly mocking her.
Wow, they openly call her overweight on live television. Absolutely disgusting. I'm so glad Serena won this tournament and shut them all up. Still up there with one of my favorite Serena wins.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Given the Djokovid mess and, most importantly, what looks like a second wave in the US (with a particularly dire situation in both New York and Florida), I think there's a good chance the USO will end up being cancelled after all.
The situation is not dire in New York anymore. Their infection rates are among the lowest in the country.

I think the USO will happen. All other sport leagues are barrelling through with less precautions. I think given what happened in Adria Tour and what has happened in other sports, there is a fat chance the tour resumes as normal. I think it will be very fragmented as to who plays what. I for one think there is little chance Serena plays in Europe this Fall.

Wow, they openly call her overweight on live television. Absolutely disgusting. I'm so glad Serena won this tournament and shut them all up. Still up there with one of my favorite Serena wins.
In fairness, it was mostly Gary Carillo that was thrashing on her (she slowly changed her tune as the matches went on). Pam also joined in. Mary Jo was pretty positive about Serena as she almost always has been.

I actually don't think Serena's size at the AO was that bad? Maybe it's just the hindsight of seeing what her body/performance has been like in the 13 years since. I think people were too fixated on comparing her to what her body looked like when she was a teen and in her early 20s. You could tell that Serena was working hard when she came back in Summer of 2006 even though it took a bit for the results to bear out.

·
Rena's Army
34,944 Posts
The situation is not dire in New York anymore. Their infection rates are among the lowest in the country.

I think the USO will happen. All other sport leagues are barrelling through with less precautions. I think given what happened in Adria Tour and what has happened in other sports, there is a fat chance the tour resumes as normal. I think it will be very fragmented as to who plays what. I for one think there is little chance Serena plays in Europe this Fall.

In fairness, it was mostly Gary Carillo that was thrashing on her (she slowly changed her tune as the matches went on). Pam also joined in. Mary Jo was pretty positive about Serena as she almost always has been.

I actually don't think Serena's size at the AO was that bad? Maybe it's just the hindsight of seeing what her body/performance has been like in the 13 years since. I think people were too fixated on comparing her to what her body looked like when she was a teen and in her early 20s. You could tell that Serena was working hard when she came back in Summer of 2006 even though it took a bit for the results to bear out.
For sure. When you think catsuit and then compare it to AO 07 body you would be thinking she got so "fat". How they address her as overweight as if she looks like a cow was uncool to hear again though. Looking at her over the years since her early 20s body, I am thinking that this was the new body and she got a sleek version like we saw in 2012-2013 or she isn't as sleek but still isn't overweight when we see 2015-2016. Makes sense given what happens to people generally speaking.

Her net game was pretty good in this run as I watch back. Wonder if it was the lack of doubles play that led to a loss of confidence at the net over the years and therefore a lack of court awareness and poor choices at net? Or was that just a result of nerves? Would be interesting to know.

Hearing them not even mention the personal issues that she went through and just blaming everything on "disinterest" "outside interests" etc, then praise the one who got banned for drugs for the same thing years later and not mention her drug ban...I can see why Serena always had that chip on her shoulder until she cast away all doubt. 2019 USO was icing on the cake to end her career slam of wins against the drugged one and to show that you are nothing against me with but now especially without drugs.

Last thing: The way Gary acts in the JJ match with "the power is what separated the sisters from others, now there are others who hit just as hard like the drugged one", as though the only thing that made the sisters great was power. I love that Serena has weathered all types of players over the years while playing and changing up her game and tactics to suit. Her tennis brain is out of this world and it had to be to take down everybody. Also loved seeing her intensity and the bad ass walk when she was asserting her authority. Hope she gets to do that at least one last time in a slam final to be a monumental end to a fabulous career.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
For sure. When you think catsuit and then compare it to AO 07 body you would be thinking she got so "fat". How they address her as overweight as if she looks like a cow was uncool to hear again though. Looking at her over the years since her early 20s body, I am thinking that this was the new body and she got a sleek version like we saw in 2012-2013 or she isn't as sleek but still isn't overweight when we see 2015-2016. Makes sense given what happens to people generally speaking.
I'm still wondering what happened in the 2002 off-season that caused Serena to gain so much weight. 2003 was the first season that she played heavy. She admitted as much during the French Open that year.

But yeah I agree, her 2007 AO fitness wasn't that bad compared to other years. Certainly better than FO 2014 😭

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Last thing: The way Gary acts in the JJ match with "the power is what separated the sisters from others, now there are others who hit just as hard like the drugged one", as though the only thing that made the sisters great was power. I love that Serena has weathered all types of players over the years while playing and changing up her game and tactics to suit. Her tennis brain is out of this world and it had to be to take down everybody. Also loved seeing her intensity and the bad ass walk when she was asserting her authority. Hope she gets to do that at least one last time in a slam final to be a monumental end to a fabulous career.
This!!! Random people who are tennis casuals still assert to me she wins because she hits the hardest. She hasn't been the hardest hitting on tour in quite some time (if she ever was). Just look at the Vaidisova match. Vaidisova completely dictates the majority of the rallies. Serena counter punched her way past her (very much how Venus countered her way past CoCo in the AO17 SFs).

Serena did say in her 2009 book that after YeTunde died that she completely phoned it in due to depression. She said she went through the motions during 2004 and completely fell off the cliff in early 2005. IIRC from her reality show with Venus, she was completely OVER it. She didn't become fully invested until she started training for the USO Series in 2006. She looked totally snatched at the 06 USO. Weird how her fitness seemed to regress between then and the 07 AO? Her fitness always seems to be worse at the AO then the preceding USO.

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,119 Posts
Yeah, the paparazzi got some beach pictures of her in July '06 and her waist was snatched. But her fitness was still awful at the time. She was in much better shape @ 07 AO despite her midsection being less toned.

Comparing the '06 LA match vs JJ and the '07 AO match is a night & day difference. Serena got worn down in the former match and actually wore JJ down in the latter. And compare how she held up physically in the Peer match (in midday Australian heat) vs how she wilted in the Mauresmo loss a few months earlier.

I think it speaks to her determination more than anything. When Serena wanted something in the past, it was near impossible to deny her. I don't know if she can get into a zone like that anymore since her priorities have (understandably) changed.

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,119 Posts
Given the Djokovid mess and, most importantly, what looks like a second wave in the US (with a particularly dire situation in both New York and Florida), I think there's a good chance the USO will end up being cancelled after all.
You're giving America too much credit. :censored: This country is full steam ahead with reopening, regardless of how safe it is. Money and the economy are more important than saving lives.

At least tennis will get to learn from the NBA. NBA's "bubble" (starting in 2 weeks I believe, with games starting in about 5 weeks?) is a similar concept to what tennis is attempting to implement. NBA will be the guinea pigs and tennis can hopefully fine tune from them.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I was just rewatching her match against Osaka in Toronto and how calm and composed she was. She was troubleshooting, she was not getting in her head, she was winning the big points. Makes me so sad she wasn’t able to muster that up for these past few finals.

·
Premium Member
20,365 Posts
You're giving America too much credit. :censored: This country is full steam ahead with reopening, regardless of how safe it is. Money and the economy are more important than saving lives.

At least tennis will get to learn from the NBA. NBA's "bubble" (starting in 2 weeks I believe, with games starting in about 5 weeks?) is a similar concept to what tennis is attempting to implement. NBA will be the guinea pigs and tennis can hopefully fine tune from them.
I don't know why they don't just follow Patrick's UTS format. That seems to have avoided any infections unless stupid Thiem exposes them because of his participation in Djokovic's event.

NY at least seems to have handled its cases better than most other areas of the States and should be passed its initial peak of cases by the time the USO rolls around. But y'all have so many inconsiderate idiots all over that some infected person is probably going to mess it all up. And this is really exposing that there are a lot of conservative and uneducated players the world over who probably won't follow precautions.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Has anyone seen recent videos of Serena? Is she looking fit? I hope she’s training and injury-free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Has anyone seen recent videos of Serena? Is she looking fit? I hope she’s training and injury-free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I follow Ree on twitter, and she hasn't really been on much lately. But yesterday, I saw pics of her and Jr. and Ree was wearing purple and she did look quite fit. I know black is slimming and that angles can make you appear slimmer. But she does look good. And Jr. looks like a natural on court. That cutiepie. I could just bite her. Love ha 🤭

Here the pics are (taken within the last few days) for anyone who hasn't seen Ree lately.

Pump, are my old eyes playing tricks on me 🤪

Or does Ree look pretty good?

Lard, Jr. Squatting in position and READY.

Take me now Lard 😋

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I follow Ree on twitter, and she hasn't really been on much lately. But yesterday, I saw pics of her and Jr. and Ree was wearing purple and she did look quite fit. I know black is slimming and that angles can make you appear slimmer. But she does look good. And Jr. looks like a natural on court. That cutiepie. I could ust bite her. Love ha 🤭

Here the pics are (taken within the last few days) for anyone who hasn't seen Ree lately.

View attachment 177575 View attachment 177576 View attachment 177577 View attachment 177578

Pump, are my old eyes playing tricks on me 🤪

Or does Ree look pretty good?

Lard, Jr. Squatting in position and READY.

Take me now Lard 😋
She looks very good here, but as you say certain poses can make her appear slimmer. She’s been carrying a stomach pouch the last two years and that appears to be gone now. Hope it’s true. Her best seasons are the one’s where she’s fittest.

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
She looks very good here, but as you say certain poses can make her appear slimmer. She’s been carrying a stomach pouch the last two years and that appears to be gone now. Hope it’s true. Her best seasons are the one’s where she’s fittest.
Okay, here we go. Ree from today, and posted on IG. I went over and sure enough. That IS Ree minus a tummy pouch. No Mackie I don't think. Just her on her TikTok doing this fine workout on her OWN. Mama's NOT messing around with this workout or with her committment lately to health/weight management is she? 😲🥰

NOT jumping the gun, but HOT DAMN @ 'chu Ree 👀

Okay GAGirl, what do you think? Her jumping on that left leg, the one with little to NO cartilage between the knee joint 🤪

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Okay, here we go. Ree from today, and posted on IG. I went over and sure enough. That IS Ree minus a tummy pouch. No Mackie I don't think. Just her on TikTok doing this fine workout on her OWN. Mama's NOT messing around with this workout or with her committment lately to health/weight management is she? 😲🥰

NOT jumping the gun, but HOT DAMN @ 'chu Ree 👀

Okay GAGirl, what do you think? Her jumping on that left leg, the one with little to NO cartilage between the knee joint 🤪
She looks better than she did earlier this season, but I worry she’s rusty for lack of match play. Thanks for the vids!

5141 - 5156 of 5156 Posts