Tennis Forum banner

5081 - 5088 of 5088 Posts

·
Registered
84,951 Posts

·
Registered
32,934 Posts
I don't think it was a virus. The way Venus took her hand as they were sitting down, you could tell Serena was emotionally shattered. Venus knew everything that was going on and tried to comfort her.

At the time Sharapova and Serena were trading barbs at each other and Baphomet took it entirely too far by involving Patrick. Then after she lost to Lisicki and Patrick likely broke things off, it was entirely too much for her to bear. To go from winning Wimbledon, Olympics, US Open, and the French, finding love, etc to that.

I wish that on nobody.
Yes it was a virus according to medical doctor and of course she was emotional and most likely frightened not knowing what was going on.
My point was what Martina said not what Rena's illness was.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,186 Posts
What are some matches that you haven't been able to come back to, either with a rewatch or highlights? I still haven't watched a single point of the 2015 Vinci match after the fact. A complete horror show from all fronts, topped with a hideous outfit. Wtf was Nike thinking putting her in that when she was on course to get the CYGS?

The Kerber AO final is another one I can't stomach. I don't think I've ever seen her so tactically clueless on court without being outplayed.
I've never watched the Vinci or Kerber matches and never will. I overslept for Kerber, thankfully and had dinner guests during the Vinci match.

·
Registered
14,186 Posts
I could rewatch a match like that. When I don't dislike or actually like one of the girls she has lost to I have less of a problem.

Sometimes even when I do dislike the opponent. I have to admit the match is good. Her 01 quarter against Hingis was a very high quality match. You could tell Serena wasn't in top shape though because she basically lost that due to poor endurance in the third. But that was the story of her life in 01 until Canada when she started turning it all around.

And one of the clay losses she had to Henin before the 02 RG was a good match. I want to say in Rome or was in Germany? I still had respect for Henin at the time.
I have just watched the 2002 Berlin Final. The quality is high from Serena apart from the first set. You have to give Henin props because Serena would have wiped out almost any other player in sets two and three (as she did to Henin in set 2). I still prefer the Rome Final from the following week. The quality even was even higher even though both were injured, and a straight sets win against Henin on clay.

This got me thinking about other Serena losses I have and will rewatch in full. They are mostly from her early years.

1998 AO 2r - first slam meeting between the sisters
1999 Miami Final - the only enjoyable Serena loss - still on a high from IW and I also like Venus.
2001 AO QF vs Hingis - very fun and high quality match.
2001 Wim QF vs Capriati - patchy quality and a massive choke but it was the first of several of their encounters at Wimbledon and, I believe, the last match in Capriati's streak against her.
2004 USO QF - a maddening and infuriating match, but the quality is pretty good and it is one of the more electric Serena-Capriati encounters (which is saying something). In hindsight it is strangely satisfying to see how bad the calls are each time. Alvez never got her comeuppance but the good that came out of it (hawkeye) is vindicating.
2008 WImbledon Final - we all know the history here.

·
Come on 24th!
7,304 Posts
I almost never watch matches where Serena loses (beisdes those losses to Venus, those don't count for me) except for one match that you mentioned - 2001 Australian Open. Because it's such a great match.

·
Registered
84,951 Posts
Boris Becker

“Can Serena equal Margaret Court? She is past 30 and she’s become a proud mother. I'm sure she would love to play the US Open this year. They call her the Greatest of all Time on the women's circuit, and she certainly deserves the title.
“Me, being German, I still think of Steffi Graf as our queen, but Serena is certainly, certainly the greatest. Margaret Court is the most successful. Having said that, back in the day they played three of the four majors on grass, so it was easier if you're comfortable on grass to win more.
“I'm sure Serena wants to reach 24, I think that's the reason she's playing. You know, she’s a role model for all the mothers out there who are professionally involved in sport. As long as she wants to play, I think she can win. So as long as Serena is good enough to reach a final, she's good enough to win.
“Having said that, the young generation won't sleep. You know once you are in a final you're not playing the name, you're playing the title. That was Bianca Andreescu at the US Open final or Simone Halep in Wimbledon last year. They didn’t play the name.”

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
I finally went ahead and saw the Razzano match. I hadn't seen that, even highlights, since it happened.
That was...something.

I would have made a specific point to drag Razzano a lot more had I know she pulled that Hindrance B.S. multiple times.

Even after all of this I still felt heartbroken when Serena broke down in tears in the 2nd set. That crowd was pure trash.

·
Registered
84,951 Posts
Tennis legend Serena Williams says that the current tennis shutdown due to the global pandemic is scary for many lower ranked players as they don't have an income to get them through the current period.

Serena Williams speaks about the lower ranked players in tennis
Speaking on the KindredCast show with LionTree CEO Aryeh Bourkoff, Williams says, “I am just as curious as everyone and the sport has been really affected.

We have people out here in our sport that live to play tennis. So they currently don’t have an income because if they’re not playing and getting paid to go to these tournaments. They don’t have an income so it’s kind of really scary for a lot of players."

“I’ve been playing for well over two decades. So I’m in a different position but if you just started out it’s not a great place to be in. It’s a lot of things that bring a lot of questions now what’s going to happen or this could happen again or those players prep for it.

So how do you make things better for the players who inevitably are the content that tennis has." The governing bodies of tennis are currently working on a support fund for the lower ranked players who have been affected during the current shutdown.

5081 - 5088 of 5088 Posts