Tennis Forum banner

5041 - 5060 of 5088 Posts

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,114 Posts
I rewatch HLs from the 2011 Bartoli loss occasionally. I was so impressed with how she competed in that match despite running on fumes.

7:37-10:10 in these HLs is just... chef's kiss

The dumb ass point at 10:20 is infuriating though. Thinks her own ball is going out, watches it like a statue, and is completely out of position for the next shot. I HATEEEEEEEEE when she does that shit!!

·
Premium Member
20,324 Posts
I could rewatch a match like that. When I don't dislike or actually like one of the girls she has lost to I have less of a problem.

Sometimes even when I do dislike the opponent. I have to admit the match is good. Her 01 quarter against Hingis was a very high quality match. You could tell Serena wasn't in top shape though because she basically lost that due to poor endurance in the third. But that was the story of her life in 01 until Canada when she started turning it all around.

And one of the clay losses she had to Henin before the 02 RG was a good match. I want to say in Rome or was in Germany? I still had respect for Henin at the time.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I rewatch HLs from the 2011 Bartoli loss occasionally. I was so impressed with how she competed in that match despite running on fumes.

7:37-10:10 in these HLs is just... chef's kiss

The dumb ass point at 10:20 is infuriating though. Thinks her own ball is going out, watches it like a statue, and is completely out of position for the next shot. I HATEEEEEEEEE when she does that shit!!
I KNOW!!!! And she does it all the f*cking time too. So frustrating.

Two days ago the USTA posted the 2000 USO final on YT. I watched it last night. So much nostalgia! The late 1990s/early 2000s was an incredibly fun era in women's tennis.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I had tennis channel on in the background earlier, and they started showing clips of players cooking (sad times, I know.) They used a clip of Serena cooking in a snow white dress, and at the end the host jokingly asked why she was wearing it. Lindsay said it's because she has a two year old that she has to keep entertained and Mary fucking Carillo had the nerve to sit there and roll her eyes while pretending to chuckle. Idk if it is my intense dislike for Mary (or the few glasses of wine) that is clouding my judgement, but that really annoyed me lol This woman has no respect for Serena and it pisses me off how much the tennis establishment props her up as some journalistic legend.

Side note: Regarding the tennis establishment's practical worship of her as a tennis journalist/commentator, what am I missing? Is she really that important of a figure in the context of tennis? Aside from her connections, what is her great skill or contribution? I'm genuinely asking, and I felt this would be a good place to ask since I wouldn't be called a hater bc she "spEAks hER mIND" about the Williams sisters.

·
Registered
793 Posts
What are some matches that you haven't been able to come back to, either with a rewatch or highlights? I still haven't watched a single point of the 2015 Vinci match after the fact. A complete horror show from all fronts, topped with a hideous outfit. Wtf was Nike thinking putting her in that when she was on course to get the CYGS?

The Kerber AO final is another one I can't stomach. I don't think I've ever seen her so tactically clueless on court without being outplayed.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Mary brought up Serena again while they were pulling up Chris Evert's clay stats lol. Saying the numbers that her and Navritiolva (who she can never seem to keep out of the conversation) posted were incredible and challenged the notion that Serena was the greatest of all time. Seriously, what is this woman's problem? They were acknowledging a tweet from Andy Roddick commenting on a tweet about Evert's incredible record and she still found a way to insert and demean Serena lol

Edit: Any tea on why she doesn't commentate for ESPN?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Mary brought up Serena again while they were pulling up Chris Evert's clay stats lol. Saying the numbers that her and Navritiolva (who she can never seem to keep out of the conversation) posted were incredible and challenged the notion that Serena was the greatest of all time. Seriously, what is this woman's problem? They were acknowledging a tweet from Andy Roddick commenting on a tweet about Evert's incredible record and she still found a way to insert and demean Serena lol

That bitch is always shading Serena. The other day I was watching TC and she said something about how Serena has always done what she wants, but with such a negative connotation. She can’t turn down a chance to shade our girl.

Mary Carrillo is trash, end of.

·
Premium Member
20,324 Posts
I had tennis channel on in the background earlier, and they started showing clips of players cooking (sad times, I know.) They used a clip of Serena cooking in a snow white dress, and at the end the host jokingly asked why she was wearing it. Lindsay said it's because she has a two year old that she has to keep entertained and Mary fucking Carillo had the nerve to sit there and roll her eyes while pretending to chuckle. Idk if it is my intense dislike for Mary (or the few glasses of wine) that is clouding my judgement, but that really annoyed me lol This woman has no respect for Serena and it pisses me off how much the tennis establishment props her up as some journalistic legend.

Side note: Regarding the tennis establishment's practical worship of her as a tennis journalist/commentator, what am I missing? Is she really that important of a figure in the context of tennis? Aside from her connections, what is her great skill or contribution? I'm genuinely asking, and I felt this would be a good place to ask since I wouldn't be called a hater bc she "spEAks hER mIND" about the Williams sisters.
It's not that. It's because she IS disrespectful and a hater. Like literally. And I don't really put much stock into what her peers think since numerous top players cannot stand her including Serena, Venus, Federer, Nadal and I think even Djokovic. That to me shows that something is up with her.

Anyway I say she is a true hater because of what went down with her and ESPN. I may be misremembering the full details so someone please correct me or add. But during Serena's resurgence in I want to say 12/13 onward she was asked to stop being hyper critical of Serena since Serena was bringing in ratings for ESPN. From what I understand it wasn't that they were telling her to be biased just to stop being a hateful twat. She refused and so they fired her ass :love:.

If you've followed the sport a long time you'll know how bias she truly is. This is someone who will make excuses for outright cheats like Henin and Meldonium but chide Serena for on court outbursts (all while giggling and laughing at McEnroe's antics).

IMO she was also a sellout. You can see over the yeas how she will throw women's tennis under the bus to get in with the men commentating. Evert in fact will stick up for the women more than her. And the sad thing is that the men do not care or respect her opinion at all. She may be well regarded in tennis press circles (I'm not sure honestly). But overall she's a blip in the commentating world.

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,114 Posts
Carillo left ESPN in 2010 I think. The start of her downfall was when Serena played URadwanska @ 2010 AO R1 and Carillo went on an unhinged rant about Shino-gate and said that Serena should've been criminally charged (LMAO 💀💀!!) for threatening Shino. Before, during, and after the match, the only thing she wanted to talk about was Serena's probation.

Serena fans filed mass complaints that night and ESPN responded. Carillo was noticeably absent from Serena's 2R-SF (plus every doubles match, I believe?) which was extremely unusual at the time. They must've issued her a warning of some sort.

Then a few months later, we found out that she "left ESPN due to philosophical differences." :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Philosophical :hysteric:

·
Registered
3,999 Posts

Carillo left ESPN in 2010 I think. The start of her downfall was when Serena played URadwanska @ 2010 AO R1 and Carillo went on an unhinged rant about Shino-gate and said that Serena should've been criminally charged (LMAO 💀💀!!) for threatening Shino. Before, during, and after the match, the only thing she wanted to talk about was Serena's probation.

Serena fans filed mass complaints that night and ESPN responded. Carillo was noticeably absent from Serena's 2R-SF (plus every doubles match, I believe?) which was extremely unusual at the time. They must've issued her a warning of some sort.

Then a few months later, we found out that she "left ESPN due to philosophical differences." :ROFLMAO:
Carillo asked out of the last year of her contract with ESPN at the 2010 US Open and she left.

Apparently her conflict with ESPN went beyond Serena. She though that the network had too many conflicts of interest that biased/censored their coverage. Irrespective of her history of going after Serena, she kinda has a point there. ESPN employs/has employed many commentators who are simultaneously coaching players on the tour: Patrick of course, but also John McEnroe, Brad Gilbert and Darren Cahill. In addition Mary Joe Fernandez is married to Federer's agent and Patrick McEnroe was a top USTA executive for seven years while covering the US Open.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Carillo asked out of the last year of her contract with ESPN at the 2010 US Open and she left.

Apparently her conflict with ESPN went beyond Serena. She though that the network had too many conflicts of interest that biased/censored their coverage. Irrespective of her history of going after Serena, she kinda has a point there. ESPN employs/has employed many commentators who are simultaneously coaching players on the tour: Patrick of course, but also John McEnroe, Brad Gilbert and Darren Cahill. In addition Mary Joe Fernandez is married to Federer's agent and Patrick McEnroe was a top USTA executive for seven years while covering the US Open.
I mean is coverage really a conflict of interest, in terms of the match play? As long as umpires and officials remain unbiased and not have a stake in a players success, but commentators are literally just decoration.

·
Registered
793 Posts

Does she though? She thought that ESPN had too many conflicts of interest while signing on to Tennis Channel with no problem? That makes zero sense.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The start of her downfall was when Serena played URadwanska @ 2010 AO R1 and Carillo went on an unhinged rant about Shino-gate and said that Serena should've been criminally charged (LMAO 💀💀!!) for threatening Shino.
Please tell me this is not true. Please

·
Registered
793 Posts
Am I delusional in thinking that Ree looks snatched right now? I think this break will be good for her mentally because she isn't stopping anytime soon. At this point, she's not the expected winner of every slam and that will work in her favor when tennis resumes

·
Registered
1,545 Posts

Mary was commentating on Tennis Channel last week and lost her sh*t and started screaming about how the behind-the-scenes writers were writing sh*tty commentary for her to read off the teleprompter. She cursed, yelled, and then got up and walked off in a huff. Such an odd thing for them to put on the air. If I were her writers I’d be annoyed. If I were her, I’d want that footage deleted

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
She needs to stick to the dog show.

·
Premium Member
20,324 Posts
Mary was commentating on Tennis Channel last week and lost her sh*t and started screaming about how the behind-the-scenes writers were writing sh*tty commentary for her to read off the teleprompter. She cursed, yelled, and then got up and walked off in a huff. Such an odd thing for them to put on the air. If I were her writers I’d be annoyed. If I were her, I’d want that footage deleted
OMG. Wish she had a twitter. Would love to post that and tell her charges need to be filed against her.

5041 - 5060 of 5088 Posts