Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is basically an equation system, I have heard two definitions of Justine that can help us define Serena.

1) Justine is little Serena
2) Justine is a 21 years old Conchita Martinez with a big serve.

Now, let's try to put this in mathematic terms.

What "little" means here? little by age? no, because they are about the same age and I don't think it means Serena as she was when she was "little", so I think little here means small, and if you say small you mean smaller, we can say

S = J * x

where

S = Serena
J = Justine
x = a factor of how much "smaller" Justine is.

Now, the second definition.

a 21 years old Conchita with a big serve. Again, we can use a factor to weight the "21 years old part", I'll call it y and we take out Conchita's serve and add Justine's serve

C = (y * J) - CS + JS

where:

C = Conchita
J = Justine
CS = Conchita's serve
JS = Justine's serve
y = age factor.

if we work this equations we have

1) J = S / x
2) J = (C + CS - JS) / y

wait a moment, we have two J, so we can say

S / x = (C + CS - JS) / y

S = x/y * (C + CS - JS)

what does this tell us?

Serena is Conchita minus Justine's serve + her own serve, multiplied by the relation between Serena and Justine's body and divided by the relation between Conchita and Justine's age.

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
Gah, that was the exact type of math we were doing afew months ago. Very nice analysis, it should go in your sig.;)

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Fingon said:
This is basically an equation system, I have heard two definitions of Justine that can help us define Serena.

What "little" means here? little by age? no, because they are about the same age and I don't think it means Serena as she was when she was "little", so I think little here means small, and if you say small you mean smaller, we can say

S = J * x

where

S = Serena
J = Justine

a 21 years old Conchita with a big serve. Again, we can use a factor to weight the "21 years old part", I'll call it y and we take out Conchita's serve and add Justine's serve

C = (y * J) - CS + JS

where:

C = Conchita
J = Justine
CS = Conchita's serve
JS = Justine's serve
y = age factor.

1) J = S / x
2) J = (C + CS - JS) / y

S = x/y * (C + CS - JS)

what does this tell us?

Serena is Conchita minus Justine's serve + her own serve, multiplied by the relation between Serena and Justine's body and divided by the relation between Conchita and Justine's age.
Perfect! :worship:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
oh dear.

I think it's trying to tell us that serena is venus minus 18 months and her name and the month of her birthdate and a few inches in height. I hate math. It took me so long to figure that one out.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Fingon said:

S = J * x

where

S = Serena
J = Justine

C = (y * J) - CS + JS

where:

C = Conchita
J = Justine
CS = Conchita's serve
JS = Justine's serve
y = age factor.

1) J = S / x
2) J = (C + CS - JS) / y

S = x/y * (C + CS - JS)

what does this tell us?

it's a relief to see that not everybody on this board is a weirdo
;)

Reactions: Infiniti2001

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Fingon, your site is great. However there's an error in the head-to-head, Monica leads the series 4-3, it's not tied 3-3.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Car Key Boi - "that yuo need to get out more!"

Car Key Boi # of posts - 2,944 (18.22 posts per day)
Fingon # of posts - 2,469 (3.64 posts per day)

So who needs to get out more?

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mmcdonald said:
well, officially fed-cup counts
One of the reasons why I run a website with statistics is because I decide what counts and what doesn't. Only official WTA tournaments and Grand Slams, no challengers, no qualifying, no fed cup, no olympics, no exhibition, and that's final :p

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
If Justine is a 21 year old Conchita with a bigger serve, then that levels the age factor, as both are 21. So that intros the new equation where:
J = z • CS + CO

where CS = Conchita's serve
and CO = Conchita's other skills

Let's assume 21-year-old Conchita's average 1st serve speed is ~90 MPH. Let's say Justine's is ~100 MPH. That makes Justine's serve about 10% faster than Conchita's.
(JS = 1.1 • CS)

So we now have

J = (1.1 • CS) + CO

Now disregarding the listed weights, which have Serena only 4 pounds heavier than Justine, let's assume Serena is 10% larger than Justine. That makes X = 1.1
Hence S = 1.1 • J

Substituting the second equation for J, we get
S = 1.1 • ((1.1 • CS) + CO)
or
S = (1.21 • CS) + (1.1 • CO)

If we assumed 21-year-old Conchita's first serves average 90 MPH, then
1.21 • 90 = 108.9
which is a remarkably accurate estimate for Serena's average first serve speed.

Hence, it could be summed up as Serena is equivalent to a 10% improvement over a 21-year-old Conchita's other skills, plus a first serve averaging about 109 MPH.

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
Fingon said:

S = J * x

where

S = Serena
J = Justine

C = (y * J) - CS + JS

where:

C = Conchita
J = Justine
CS = Conchita's serve
JS = Justine's serve
y = age factor.

1) J = S / x
2) J = (C + CS - JS) / y

S = x/y * (C + CS - JS)

what does this tell us?

I have to disagree, Henin gets a lot of balls back, and uses slice as a good part of her game, but she does not plays that MOONBALL and boring Conchita Martinez´s game, she actually can hit the ball from both sides. Conchita can´t maintain a hard-power hitting rally.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts