Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, somebody from the kournikova.com board rang up the Adidas International tournament and got some draw info. Serena and Anna have a chance to play each other in the 2nd round at Sydney. That is, provided Anna gets past Angeles Montolio first. This should be interesting!!!! :D

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
I can in no way imagine Anna is ready to play Serena.

They've played once. 2000 Canadian Open. Serena won 3-6 2-6. Serena is a better player now. Anna is significantly worse.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Volcana said:
I can in no way imagine Anna is ready to play Serena.

They've played once. 2000 Canadian Open. Serena won 3-6 2-6. Serena is a better player now. Anna is significantly worse.
[/QUOTE

Oh what a surprise, another well thoughtout comment...

Yeah, Anna is not ready to play her (if they do in fact meet) so what do you think should happen??? Anna just give a walkover to her??

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

D

·
0 Posts
I can't imagine Anna getting Serena in Round 2. I would figure they would put her against Hingis who is more her speed. or some other non power player. I am sure they want to keep Anna around a bit.:)

By the way congrats Venus on winning your first title of the year.:)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
I hope this happens, but not in Round 2... :( :mad:

I am picking Serena to win this, especially after Anna just disappointed me by losing to Anna in straight sets. :mad:

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Dawn : Unless their is some draw fixing going on - I don't imagine that the organizers have any say whatsoever over where Anna gets plopped into the draw.

I'm sure they'd like her around as long as possible, no doubt - but she gets drawn where she is drawn.

As for getting Hingis in the second round - I dont imagine that would be much better for her, considering her horrible record against hings (when is the last time she beat her -1998?)

·
Banned
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dawn - this draw is already made up.. Unfortunately it isn't posted anywhere yet, but I trust the moderator at kournikova.com who got this information from calling up the tournament organizers. Despite the fact that Adidas is Anna's main sponsor, I doubt they would rig a draw. ;)

The last time Anna defeated Martina was at Berlin in 1998. I believe Anna's head-to-head record against Martina is 1-11.

Personally, I think Serena will win in straight sets but it would be some valuable match practice for Anna, who is still trying to regain her form. It's a good chance for her to assess her current form against a top girl.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Vanity, just between you and I, that was me who rang up.. :)

I would have used the same username here and at the other board, but I just used the same one as when I was posting on the WTA board, before it crashed..

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Becca and Vanity maybe your right about this about Anna's chances on winning in rd 2. But I don't trust the draws infact I do think many of them are rigged.. that is my opinion though.

When is this damn draw gonna be posted? I can't wait!:)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Ok dawn, when was the last time I told a lie about anything.. If you don't want to believe it, than that is your choice, I am sure I got a few wrong, but since I was really interested on who Anna played, do you really think I would have stuff up who she was playing.. and I certainly did not want to see her playing Serena, that's for sure..

·
Banned
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dawn, I totally trust Oct (as he is known on the kournikova board). If you knew him from the Anna K board, you'd know he is not one to lie. :)

Also, the players are usually at the draws when they are done, so I doubt they are rigged.. don't listen to Damir Dokic :p

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
uh Ajayares I am baffled at your response to me? I don't have a clue what you r refering too?

Excuse me but naturally I don't know who vanity's poster friends are and I am not the type to believe everything I read or see. It's only natural to be skeptical about people you don't even know. I am a skeptic when it concerns certain things. Now if I knew you well (or knew you from here) then I would tend to believe you. I didn't know you were the same guy that Vanity was refering too? I would have believed you then. Maybe not 100% but that is not due to you it's just the way I am.:)

Peace and love and please forgive me:)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Fair enough dawn, I understand, I am skeptical when it comes to believing things when people post them too..

Anyway here is something for you from the tournament website:

"The top four women's seeds, Jennifer Capriati, Martina Hingis, Kim Clijsters and Serena Williams all have first round byes.

However Williams could clash with Anna Kournikova in the second round, the popular Russian plays Angeles Montolio."

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
oh no problem I was just caught off... lol

Anyhow this is gonna be one helluva a tourney.:) And thanks for the post about who is playing who.:)

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I know this is going to sound crazy, but I wouldn't be that suprised if Anna beat Serena. Anna always plays better when the pressure's off, and no-one is going to be expecting her to win. I'm not saying that I _predict_ Anna to win, but I do think she has a chance.

Either Serena will win in two easy sets, or Anna will win in three.
-

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
I expect Serena to win comfortably, but I wish Anna luck.

I think it's harsh for people to imply that she has zero chance just because she's not as good a player :rolleyes: .

As long as she turns up she's always got a chance.

Anyway how do you all expect her to beat the top players if she doesn't lose to them a couple of times first ?

It will be good experience.

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
The tournament organizers and Anna's fans can take solace in the fact that she is playing doubles with Martina Hingis, and so should be around for the entire week. :)

While I agree that Anna plays better when the pressure is off, and also (as I have observed many times), Anna usually can get through one tough match per tournament, the bald fact remains that she is just not as good a player as Serena. The one ray of hope for her will be that it will be Serena's first match in a couple of months.

But a couple months off didn't seem to affect Serena in Munich! :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm really surprised that Anna has to play Serena so early. But for those who don't believe in "draw-rigging"-you can't say anything if Venus and Serena wind up on the opposite side of the draw at the Oz open.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts