Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given that the long line of Chris Evert clones continues to this day as a cosmetic and marketable commodity in tennis, how much do you think the Williams Sisters have changed the course of how we perceive marketable beauty?

· Registered
3,466 Posts
Given the fact that Venus and Serena have posed for layouts in Elle and Vogue magazine (I believe that the girls have made two appearances each in these magazines), that Serena actually posed for the SI swimsuit issue, that Serena and Venus have also are the faces of Avon, Doublemint gum, McDonald's, Reebok and Puma, I think they have made strides in changing the course of marketable beauty. Of course, the trend of blondes being the epitome of marketable beauty has been changing for years, but I do think Venus and Serena are a definite part of the changing trend.

· Registered
6,688 Posts
They are so hot that some non black are having difficulty hiding there obvious attraction to them.

During a RG match, the camera was constantly scanning over the yummy body of SERENA and many have said that if VENUS had not gone into tennis that she could have become a top supermodel.

· Registered
24,565 Posts
alfajeffster said:
Given that the long line of Chris Evert clones continues to this day as a cosmetic and marketable commodity in tennis, how much do you think the Williams Sisters have changed the course of how we perceive marketable beauty?
My first reaction is 'no'. They're beautiful, but by standards that already existed. I don't see they changed anything.

Then I think it over and the answer's yes. Not so much in Venus' case as Serena's. Venus kind of has Greta Garbo's act. (I vant to be alone)

Serena, OTOH, is everything 'The Marketing Departement' hoped it would get with Anna Kournikova.

Not hap'n 10 years

· Registered
17,738 Posts
NO!!!! I alwyas thought Serena looked fantastic.

If anyone has done it, its J.Lo, she got the curves in there.

· Banned
3,170 Posts
alfajeffster said:

Thank God. Quite frankly, I was tired of the frail blonde and the hard ones too. Gabrielle broke it up, but she too was too butch. Steffi's nose got in the way of any degree of beauty. Monica, I'm sorry just didn't cut it...then along came Hingis and alot of makeup couldn't do nothing for her strange made head. Props to Kornikova for making the marketing dollars, but her tennis career is a total bust.

Then along came the Williams (lets forget Zina and Chanda they just didn't create enough electricity).

They have EVERYTHING in SPADES!!!!!

· Registered
47,657 Posts
TeeRexx said:
They are so hot that some non black are having difficulty hiding there obvious attraction to them.

During a RG match, the camera was constantly scanning over the yummy body of SERENA and many have said that if VENUS had not gone into tennis that she could have become a top supermodel.
True about Venus....normally people were drooling over the blondes because they were tall and stuff...well, look a tall and beautiful black girl who is acomplishing things that all the tennis blondes can only dream of.

· Registered
10,975 Posts
theyre both beautiful girls, but they havent really changed the marketability of non-blondes. i think j.lo and beyonce had more of an influence than anyone else. ree and vee's reach isnt that long.

· Banned
9,138 Posts
decemberlove said:
theyre both beautiful girls, but they havent really changed the marketability of non-blondes. i think j.lo and beyonce had more of an influence than anyone else. ree and vee's reach isnt that long.

not really, Beyonce is very light-skinned and flowing, long weave (nothing too non-conventional about that) and J-lo- I guess you can say she brought the booty to the forefront but she also has looks that are Euro- she does use tanning lotion to look more Latin.

Serena and Venus have very African features and bodies (mainly Serena)in terms of tennis and cover girls you can say that yes the perception of beauty has been redefined but as we see on this board, not really. The perceptions have beauty have been broadened to say the least.

· Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bajangurl said:
not really, Beyonce is very light-skinned and flowing, long weave (nothing too non-conventional about that) and J-lo- I guess you can say she brought the booty to the forefront but she also has looks that are Euro- she does use tanning lotion to look more Latin.

Serena and Venus have very African features and bodies (mainly Serena)in terms of tennis and cover girls you can say that yes the perception of beauty has been redefined but as we see on this board, not really. The perceptions have beauty have been broadened to say the least.
Very balanced perception, banjagurl. It is still much easier for someone looking like J-Lo or Beyonce to break through the fashion screen than it has been for Serena- looking like an African Priestess, and Venus, looking like an Ethiopian Warrior-goddess. I think after the public got over the shock and indignation of the beads, and the girls grew into their new found fame, they just continued to push the limits- and it's very nice to see. I'm tired of Chrissie clones!

· NeverWoz
25,696 Posts
Changed our perception of beauty? In tennis, yes. To some people. I on the other hand don't find either attractive at all, but Serena does have a pretty face. Serena's very marketable and she will probably continue doing magazine covers/ads, making tennis more "out there". I'm still not tired of the Chrissy Clones though. ;)

· Registered
10,975 Posts
bajangurl said:

true, but i did say non-blondes :)

still dont think they have changed much thou. i mean i dont see the typical teenage white boy drooling over serena TOO often. itd be nice to see some variety in peoples tastes but blondes are still the number one choice when it comes to marketing.

· Registered
2,579 Posts
I agree. Venus has this classic beauty while Serena has that charming beauty. Changing perceptions? I think not. It all comes down to personal choices. Just because someone find a blonde, sexy girl beautiful doesn't exactly make one shallow. It's just a matter of taste.

· Registered
11,065 Posts
it's all a matter of perception. some would think they are beautiful and some don't. i personally think they are both extremely attractive women, but then again i probably wouldn't say that too often to people so that in my opinion is indicative of the lack of change in perception. yes they are on the covers of magazines and advertisement campaigns, but i think that has more to do with what they have achieved on the court, and the fact that they scrub up nicely makes them marketable (in serena's case i think her personality helps her a lot as well). it would be interesting to see the difference if they didn't achieve all this as sisters.

i can look at serena and think she looks very sexy and look at venus when she's out sometimes and think she does look a supermodel, but i don't drool over them like i would anna kournikova. i don't know why, but most likely it's the ingrained idealisation of beauty. i know my girlfriend looks like a typical blonde, but i have to say that while looks are important, it's the personalities that sustain a relationship (why have i started talking like couples therapist?)

· Registered
86 Posts
Right now so called white people domanate the world, so their idea of beauty is pushed on the world.
Black women does not need white boys to drool over them to know they're beautiful. Black mem drool over them. That's validation of their beauty. This idea that blonde women are the most beautiful women in the world is just so stupid. 99.9% of those magazines are owned by rich white people. I guess if Black people owned most of them they might promote Black women too.

· Registered
330 Posts
they look good-understandibly, but i think they should choose what they were, some just really gross me out-- well for serena's case only, some clothes definitely do not complement her superior built, its quite unflattering sometimes, magazine spreads obviously would make the sisters really good, that's their job!

· Registered
8,954 Posts
well to tell you the truth i think there are more beautiful blondes overall than there is of anyone else. everytype of person is beautiful but to me it seems more are blondes.

anyway if a hot brunette came on the circuit i think she would get just as much attention. although in tennis the beautiful players are only marketable if they are highly hyped or are at the top og the game. there may well be 10 or 15 other women as beautiful or more beautiful than anna k, serena and venus but since they aren't all that great noone knows about them.

in tennis serena and venus have changed marketable beauty imo but if we are talking worldwide then i don't think they have had much of an impact.

· Registered
7,256 Posts
They have DEFINITELY expanded our views of beauty!!! Not only the colour of beauty, but that beauty can be strong and gentle at the same time!!! :)

Reactions: Gowza
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.