Tennis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is ridiculous... both Martina and Serena are not in top form and are slightly injured. Yet the Aus Open scheduled them both to play on the first day. Can't they be more flexible and let them play on the second or third day??! :mad: :( :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
There is a reason why the OZ is the least favorite GS event it seems. :rolleyes:

TR :cool:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Although I do agree with you and sympathize with Martina and Serena, its nothing personal. All of the bottom half are playing Day 1.

Although...I thought Martina played Day 1 last year, as first seed...maybe not, I can't remember. But I keep wondering, maybe it was like someone suggested, "Capriati made a deal with the devil to get the draw she did", and maybe had something to do with the bottom half arranged to play first? ;) (j/k guys.)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
It's just the luck of the draw..

Last year the bottom half played first, also in 2000 the bottom half played first, in 1999 the top half played first and in 1998, the Bottom half played first..

So why should Serena, Martina be favoured over say Jennifer, who also has a minor injury???

BTW All first rd matches are to be completed on the first 2 days, plus they scheduled it so everyone in the same half plays the same day.. You cannnot be any fairer than that..

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Ugh!That Australian Open!!!Grrrrr!!:mad:

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
i like them playing day 1

if they play on day one, that means that wen they get to quarters, they will have a day off for the quarters while the people on the top half don't get a day off, so i'm glad. and teerex, the australian open is actually the favorite grand slam of the players, wimbledon is the least favorite.

·
30,466 Posts
Well, i got the schedule, Martina will play the night session on Monday, and Serena has asked no to play until Tuesday, so don't panic. And don't bag out the best grand slam tourney in the world!!!

·
3,196 Posts
It doesnt have anything to do with them being injured or whatever! The rules state that play begins on the opposite draw of the defending champion!

Also, if the AO was trying to *sabotage* them while injured, they would lose out on two of the most marketable people in the tennis world...not to mention TV ratings.....

Its all in the luck of the draw.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Grand Slams don't change the schedule. The only thing they will do is schedule a player, that plays singles and doubles in one day, a reasonable amount of rest. Also if a player plays a night match, they won't schedule a 11AM start for that player the next day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts