Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
She's not going to Madrid, so why not add Charleston?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I'm hoping that's her schedule.

I'd love more clay prep as I really want one more FO, but Charleston isn't much help and Madrid is a trash tournament.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Yes, Madrid as a whole is trash and Serena did do well at the French even without Rome, but I'd like to see her play period. Charleston is just a nice little event with great support. But in the end whatever it takes for 25, 25...etc.

·
Member of Rena's Army
16,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^Charleston means IW, Miami, Charleston back to back. That's A LOT of tennis for a 37 YO mother who went through 2 pulmonary embolism. I think she should skip either IW or Miami but unlikely she'll skip IW from now on and given Miami has a new venue that Serena helped inaugurate last year. I highly doubt she'll skip Miami. So VERY LIKELY no Charleston.

·
Member of Rena's Army
16,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd like her to play the YEC next year. It adds to her credentials ... and let's be honest about her need for extra rest.

1. She barely plays so doesn't need as much rest.
2. When she ends her season in September... She doesn't touch a racket or hit the gym for 2 months until she wakes up mid November. Adding one tournament will keep her in better shape overall...and she still gets all of November to rest and then can start her prep in December (a little later, but her "tennis memory" is not as far gone as it is when she ends her season in September).
3. It adds to her LEGACY.

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,113 Posts
She should play Fed Cup in February too. It's being held in the same venue as last February.

My guess is that she'll plan on..

Hopman Cup
AO
Fed Cup
IW
Miami
Rome
RG
Wimbledon
[2 of San Jose / Toronto / Cincy]

And then hopefully a USO withdrawal to go clean her closet. I never wanna care about that tournament again.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
And then hopefully a USO withdrawal to go clean her closet. I never wanna care about that tournament again.
You read my mind! It’s time to cut off that awful tournament.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Kinda wish she was playing Sydney and not Hopman cup as there are no ranking points there. Given her light schedule she could do with the extra points.

·
Member of Rena's Army
16,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hopman Cup is giving her 6 matches FOR SURE. I'll take that over getting Muguruza or a top 10 player in her first match of the year in Sydney :lol:

·
Rena's Army
34,943 Posts
She should play Fed Cup in February too. It's being held in the same venue as last February.

My guess is that she'll plan on..

Hopman Cup
AO
Fed Cup
IW
Miami
Rome
RG
Wimbledon
[2 of San Jose / Toronto / Cincy]

I loved Jade :lol: but this is a schedule I can get behind

·
Registered
84,910 Posts
Serena starts her year again in Abu Dhabi ( where she last year played her first match ( Ostapenko))..this year against big sister. Date 12/27.

·
Registered
84,910 Posts
Serena Williams

“I loved playing in Abu Dhabi last year. I am excited to return to such a beautiful city and to see my fans. This time, I’ll be playing against my sister, so the match will be even more special.”

·
Registered
84,910 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
An ideal schedule

Hopman Cup
Australian Open (Singles & Mixed Doubles)
Indian Wells
Miami Open
Madrid Open
Italian Open, Rome
French Open (Singles & Mixed Doubles)
Wimbledon
San Jose
Toronto Open
Cincinnati Open
US Open
China Open
WTA Championships

·
Registered
696 Posts
An ideal schedule for me:

Hopman Cup* (exho)
Australian Open
Indian Wells
Miami
Rome
French Open
Wimbledon
Toronto
Cincinnati
US Open

Nine official tournaments is doable in my opinion. In addition to the post-Wimbledon break, this schedule would give her a nice break between Melbourne and Indian Wells, as well as a break between Miami and Rome to rest and heal any potential injuries. I think that a second clay warm-up would be redundant as, let's be real, her chances of winning the French Open are very slim. She should play minimal tennis before the summer and try not to overplay or burn out before Wimbledon since the final two Slams of the season will realistically be her best shots at another big title. Hopefully she can remain healthy and happy and focus on getting in peak form and physical shape for the summer/second part of the season.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Based on what she said today at her press conference, it looks like she might be playing Indian Wells next.... before the clay season gets started.

·
Registered
84,910 Posts
Based on what she said today at her press conference, it looks like she might be playing Indian Wells next.... before the clay season gets started.
She will play IW, Miami, Rome FO..I am sure for that. May be she will retire in one of that USA tournaments early..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts