Tennis Forum banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Peedub joined two years ago, which hardly makes him/her a newbie, despite the fact that they've only posted a few times. And why shouldn't new members be entitled to start new threads? They often have ideas which are just as relevant or thought-provoking as those from members such as yourself. Why should they be denied that opportunity? There are moderators in place to edit or delete anything which other members might deem inappropriate, after all.
Before the poster created this thread, two similar threads were created by a new poster. These were deleted for being hate bait threads.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Before the poster created this thread, two similar threads were created by a new poster. These were deleted for being hate bait threads.
So the moderation worked. This thread certainly isn't "hate bait."

Just out of interest, and if you can recall, how long had you been a member, and how many posts had you made, before you started your first thread? It's a serious question - I'm not trying to be a smart-arse.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
So the moderation worked. This thread certainly isn't "hate bait."

Just out of interest, and if you can recall, how long had you been a member, and how many posts had you made, before you started your first thread? It's a serious question - I'm not trying to be a smart-arse.
The point is the old rules which required everyone to post a minimum number before starting threads would have prevented those posts from being created in the first place. And we're also getting more spam once they changed the rule. There was a guy who started a thread about gambling algorithms and he got banned. It's easily preventable.

I started my first very boring thread on 2 July 2018 - after I had become a senior member and got a sense of the community.

·
Registered
830 Posts
i really find it astonishing that to some people here it is blasphemy to imply that serena is not playing as well as she had been in previous years.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
I know Serena has to be disappointed with the way 2020 is turning out. If Wimbledon is canceled, then yikes. If she gets to 24, it just may be best title she’s ever won after what’s occurred this year (the lack of play on the tour). She will be 39 in September. I wonder how long she will continue to deal with this if she doesn’t win a slam this year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don´t count her out yet, it´s clear her chances for 24 were low before the pandemic but even if she will be a couple of months older, she will have some advantages too, mainly that unlike the last years, other top players will be as rusty as her without many matches and even old, Serena has proven she can be more consistent in slams than the rest of the top players if she cares, this means, at least the chances of having a weaker draw will increase.

I´m not saying her chances of winning a slam are bigger than before the virus but all things considered, and provided Serena keeps training and really cares, this break will not be as significant for her, she will have same chances as before, which could be either losing in early rounds or going deep

·
Registered
827 Posts
Don´t count her out yet, it´s clear her chances for 24 were low before the pandemic but even if she will be a couple of months older, she will have some advantages too, mainly that unlike the last years, other top players will be as rusty as her without many matches and even old, Serena has proven she can be more consistent in slams than the rest of the top players if she cares, this means, at least the chances of having a weaker draw will increase.
That may be so, but most will be carrying much more residual fitness into the remainder of the season (when, or if, it starts), and they will also have been training their socks off.

I´m not saying her chances of winning a slam are bigger than before the virus but all things considered, and provided Serena keeps training and really cares, this break will not be as significant for her, she will have same chances as before, which could be either losing in early rounds or going deep
This is the crux of the matter. From what we have seen so far, Serena is NOT training at the level she needs to if she wants that Grand Slam record (not surprisingly, because her priorities changed the moment Olympia came along). I agree with other posters who've said she needs to lose weight - her movements now are much slower and more laboured than ever, and she simply can't rely on latent ability to beat younger and fitter rivals who are now at the level Serena was 20 years ago.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Serena have a huge advantage from the break and the fact that others can’t be training to the full extent right now... Serena thrives on taking breaks and coming back full force. These other girls (Halep, Kerber) thrive on repetition and being at peak fitness. I think if the tour resumes in July, Serena will have a real advantage.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
i really find it astonishing that to some people here it is blasphemy to imply that serena is not playing as well as she had been in previous years.
It kind of is blasphemy. She has blasted girls off the court the last two years, made it to four slam finals (most finals in the WTA), and just hits a mental block in the final. She isn’t at her peak but she is still at the top of the WTA in terms of consistency. There’s a reason why she’s always the favorite before a slam, even at 38.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Serena have a huge advantage from the break and the fact that others can’t be training to the full extent right now... Serena thrives on taking breaks and coming back full force. These other girls (Halep, Kerber) thrive on repetition and being at peak fitness. I think if the tour resumes in July, Serena will have a real advantage.
This is not 2007...

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Hilarious reasoning

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I know Serena has to be disappointed with the way 2020 is turning out. If Wimbledon is canceled, then yikes. If she gets to 24, it just may be best title she’s ever won after what’s occurred this year (the lack of play on the tour). She will be 39 in September. I wonder how long she will continue to deal with this if she doesn’t win a slam this year.
I always predict if 24 wouldn't happen this year, she is done for tennis.

·
Registered
113,189 Posts
This is a tough situation for millions of people, especially working poor and people in the health profession who spend all day treated these patients, who are contagious
For Serena, and for Kim, they know they dont have to make a decision for months. But time is not on their side for ever winning a major again

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Did anyone see her on Insta today?

She looked kinda trim? Or am I being wishful?

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Serena is used to playing a few tournaments and winning matches out of the cold so this break could benefit her. It would be interesting to see how other players who are used to lots of matches react.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts