Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Vinci? What a silly response. By the time Serena ran into Vinci she’d already been number 1 for at least two and a half years straight and was bound to have a let down sooner or later. Vinci definitely outplayed Serena there, but probably couldn’t replicate it again to save her life. Serena hasn’t played a full schedule since 2015 because her body started to break down. Series of injuries in 2016 which reduced her to 8-9 tourneys that year, had a baby in 2017, and now hasn’t devoted enough time to fitness since her return. The comment about Serena having Venus in the last slam is an ignorant response too. (One could easily say Kerber got lucky to meet postpartum Serena in her Wimby final, especially after being mauled by both Serena and Garbiñe, two players who are both superior to her on grass, in previous years) Anyway, Serena made three more slam finals in 2016 even though she didn’t play a full schedule, so how can you claim the decline was due to the Vinci loss? Played one of the best Wimbledon finals in recent memory in the 2016 final, so that doesn’t sound like a woman who gave up on her career after an unexpected loss to Vinci. Hate when fans try to claim that one match altered a player’s whole career. Serena’s problems are due mostly to a lack of match play and fitness and occasionally due to injury, and she probably knows that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even as a Serena stan you can´t ignore that defeat and its psycological implications not just for Serena but for every player who saw it, considered by many the biggest upset in tennis history. She lost two slam finals in a row next year, when was the last time she had lost two slam finals? it´s not that she retired in QF for some injury or something she was in the finals and lost. Psycology and self confidence plays a bigger role than many like to admit. It´s not just one factor. I agree that she lacks fitness but she´s old and can´t risk to overplay and the tour is evolving as well.

And yes, I think she was a little lucky for that AO2017 title, of course she totally deserves it but it was definitely one of her easiest slams, she didn´t lose a set, but the highst ranked player she faced was a young #9 Konta in their first match and the toughest match was against #16 Strychova, her opponent in the final had an even easier draw to get there. As I said it´s not just one factor, but I think her losses in 2015 and 2016 took some of the respect the tour had when playing Serena

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Even as a Serena stan you can´t ignore that defeat and its psycological implications not just for Serena but for every player who saw it, considered by many the biggest upset in tennis history. She lost two slam finals in a row next year, when was the last time she had lost two slam finals? it´s not that she retired in QF for some injury or something she was in the finals and lost. Psycology and self confidence plays a bigger role than many like to admit. It´s not just one factor. I agree that she lacks fitness but she´s old and can´t risk to overplay and the tour is evolving as well.

And yes, I think she was a little lucky for that AO2017 title, of course she totally deserves it but it was definitely one of her easiest slams, she didn´t lose a set, but the highst ranked player she faced was a young #9 Konta in their first match and the toughest match was against #16 Strychova, her opponent in the final had an even easier draw to get there. As I said it´s not just one factor, but I think her losses in 2015 and 2016 took some of the respect the tour had when playing Serena
She’s in her late thirties and out of shape, just as everyone else on here has pointed out again and again. Of course she’s losing more now and has lost more finals in her late career than she did previously. But do go on and create an alternative narrative. By talking about how Serena has lost it in her later years, all you’re doing it discrediting the achievements of the other women who have defeated her in the past five years, including your own fave. If a person won a slam, she won it, and it cannot be denied just because you don’t like her draw. People swore Konta would give Serena a hard time, and when that didn’t happen suddenly Konta is a scrub. Go analyze Court’s 11 AO draws. I’m sure they weren’t as tough as the 128-player draws everyone else has faced in the modern era, yet I don’t hear you discrediting them. In every Serena thread you’re in here salivating and trying desperately to put her beneath Court and anyone else you can. Give it up, lady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,972 Posts
yes, most likely. really wonder if she thinks her serve could still bail her out while carrying all those additional pounds around, it doesn't work obviously.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Fat shaming. What a disgrace. She'll get her catsuit out at the French again.

·
Registered
11,269 Posts
she's been done for several years now and all of her recent deep slam runs have been due to opponents freezing due to nerves and not playing their best game to put her away just like they should...Wang showed that even journeywoman like her can deliver a totally different performance when she's playing up to her abilities and not just gifting a match like she did at US Open last year

·
Premium Member
19,651 Posts
Serena is already a legend with 23 slams. Of course 24 would be amazing but if it doesn't happen nobody can diminish her GOAT status and legendary place in history. With that said, if Serena's serve is there and she gets in full shape you never know what might happen. As nobody on tour is consistent these days which means she still has a chance but everything must come together.

·
Registered
938 Posts
people around here have been calling time on the Williams sister's careers on and off for about 15 year. they've consistently been made to look like fools. i'm not even a huge fan it's just the undeniable truth.

having said that there's no doubt Serena would be much more likely to win slams if she dropped some weight. i totally understand she has a natural body shape and the female body is different post giving birth but i do feel approaching 40 she needs to maximise her foot speed.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I saw him in Coco Gauff's box today. This guy gets around.
he owns one of the most famous tennis academies in the world. not exactly a shock he would show an interest in players linked to it. they might get a tad offended if she totally brushed them.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Serena was heartbroken (her own words) after that Vinci loss because if there was one thing she wanted to do it was to win the calendar year slam as Steffi did. After that her heart hasn’t really been in it. She mentioned recently that she wants more kids, if that’s true it’s pretty sad that she’s still out there because the window for pregnancy is getting smaller and smaller too.

The only way she can win more slams is if she gets a really lucky draw. She is also due more injuries soon as her body is falling apart so she is probably too scared to play many warm up tournaments before the next slams.

·
Registered
225 Posts
With Serena it's all about the mentality. If Serena plays well she is easilly the biggest hitter on tour, yes even at her age. But she just doesn't have that zero f*cks killer instinct attitude anymore. Of course some aspects of her game aren't as good as they were..she is not super fast like in the past and she really has to get more fit but for me her biggest problem is the attitude. You can already notice it in her serve..she should be able to serve as great as ever but she isn't, because she doesn't believe in herself.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The window is already closed. Look for more early exits from slams moving forward.
She has done well to get to so many finals but the game has moved on.

Once she was eviscerated by Halep at Wimbledon of all places, I knew it was over for her.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I saw the last part of the Wang match and she played well to put Serena away.
Serena didn't play her best but it might have been enough if Wang didn't manage to stay focused when Serena took the 2nd set and extended the 3rd.

I can't divine whether she'll win another slam.
While she's still a formidable player, it's clear that in her current form she isn't as indomitable as she once was.
Good movers like Wang and Halep bother her more now probably because her fitness and footwork have declined.
Also, the Serena that can conjure up aces just when she most needs them doesn't appear as often in matches.
Another thing is that she shows more visible frustration when things aren't going her way, like she doesn't believe she "got this".

However, I do know that as long as she still wants another slam, she'll use any setbacks as motivation to improve.
I feel like the brilliance is still there in a latent form. It's just tentative and not quite as self assured. I'll never say she can't.

·
Registered
47,498 Posts
If she can't and won't on FINALLY get fit...then the window's closed. She NEEDS to get fit..two years in and she's only getting bigger and bigger.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I think we need to reinstate the rule that prevents newbies from creating new threads. Seriously. And it's not just this thread.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Honestly the obsession that tennis fans, media and Serena herself has with breaking or equalling Court's record has to stop. Serena is the GOAT.... Court's record, when broken down, doesn't hold up to Serena's. She's already where she thinks she needs to be.....she wasn't fit enough coming to Australia, she plays part time (understandably) and it's clear that she's probably not prepared to do the work she has to do to be winning these multiple GS titles that she needs to break that stupid record.....

Personally when she passed Martina, Chrissy and then Steffi it was job done.

·
Registered
10,998 Posts
Honestly the obsession that tennis fans, media and Serena herself has with breaking or equalling Court's record has to stop. Serena is the GOAT.... Court's record, when broken down, doesn't hold up to Serena's. She's already where she thinks she needs to be.....she wasn't fit enough coming to Australia, she plays part time (understandably) and it's clear that she's probably not prepared to do the work she has to do to be winning these multiple GS titles that she needs to break that stupid record.....

Personally when she passed Martina, Chrissy and then Steffi it was job done.
Independently from any kinds of records, I think it is a meaningful for Serena to give herself a chance in the remaining majors and the Olympics, and for this she should work on her fitness (this is a matter of decision), and look what can be achieved with it.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I think we need to reinstate the rule that prevents newbies from creating new threads. Seriously. And it's not just this thread.
Peedub joined two years ago, which hardly makes him/her a newbie, despite the fact that they've only posted a few times. And why shouldn't new members be entitled to start new threads? They often have ideas which are just as relevant or thought-provoking as those from members such as yourself. Why should they be denied that opportunity? There are moderators in place to edit or delete anything which other members might deem inappropriate, after all.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts