Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Window shut at Wimbledon last year, the way she played in that final was disgraceful. Completely frozen by nerves.
I actually didn’t think Serena would get to that final. She was injured at the French and pulled out of another tourney last spring with injury. Still, she had a run of four straight tournament finals:
Wimbledon
Toronto
New York
Auckland
I think she needs to play more. She’s still hanging around the top ten, regardless of playing significantly fewer matches than most of the other top players. Don’t know how much more her body can handle, tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
She needs to fucking PRACTICE and go and PLAY MORE EVENTS, for fuck's sake

Needs to make one last push this year, win W and USO and adios, seriously.

For the micro time period, strong training sessions and probably a tournament in Mexico followed by IW and Miami. No bullshitting around.

Following that, we need 2 warm ups for RG. Madrid and Rome and RG. Grass tune up is not necessary. Then we need Olympics and one of either Cincy/Canada. Then USO. Then peace out. Get pregnant again and it is a wrap

·
La nuit je mens
87,071 Posts
Any other player made 4 Slam finals in the last two seasons? Even with 38 and plays 6 tournaments she is a Top Ten player!
She's Serena Williams. Her goals should be nowhere near other players goals.

·
Registered
16,447 Posts
Serena is no Sharapova. She's been in more slam finals the past 2 years, playing part-time tennis. She is still in very good form and can still play tennis at high level.

·
Registered
888 Posts
She needs a (better) dietician and meal plan. Losing 10kg will be difficult for a woman of her mesomorphic body type, but with strict adherence to a nutrient dense, maintenance calorie diet, together with some consistent cardio, she will be able to move much better on the court.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Serena is too old to make big adjustments, it´s not just because adjustments needs time to bear fruit, which Serena doesn´t have, it´s because some of them would demand even more physical wear from her like staying further behind the baseline, and Serena is human after all, so, to me, her game and technique is the best she can do right now, she could even try to go often to the net to shorten rallies.

The problem with her is not just her old school gamestyle but it´s mainly her motivation, I think her mind is not 100% in tennis and winning slams as it used to be, she has now a family and being old and having a decently competitive tour would demand 150% of her to really stay competitive. And once this generation starts losing the fear and respect for her, she won´t be vulturing slam finals even having calkewak draws anymore

·
Registered
10,998 Posts
Any other player made 4 Slam finals in the last two seasons? Even with 38 and plays 6 tournaments she is a Top Ten player!
I think it is comparable to Simona Halep's 3 finals with 2 titles:
2018: AOpen Final
2018: FOpen Title
2019: Wimbledon Title

or Naomi Osaka's 2 finals with 2 titles:
2018: USO Title
2019: AOpen Title

or Ashleigh Barty's 1 finals with 1 title, plus YEC title
2019: FOpen Title
2019: YEC Title

In short, Serena's performance was at the World No.1 contender level.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nah. Serena should’ve finished her career before having Olympia. Serena also should’ve worked harder and stayed motivated during the middle of her career. If so, she’d have broken more records already. The decision to not always focus on tennis has impacted her legacy most. I still believe Serena at her very best is the best women’s player I’ve seen, but the other all-time greats would never show up with as little practice as Serena often does. A player like Fed is the same age but perhaps doesn’t have as high a ceiling as his biggest rivals, yet look how much he’s achieved these past few years, even with Novak and Nadal in the picture. Serena should’ve approached her whole career more like Fed or Steffi. Alas, it is what it is.

Bit lost with all these replies. Serena needs to get much fitter. Full stop. Any runner will tell you carrying even 4-5 extra pounds slows you down massively. You simply cannot compete. On a hard court the extra pressure on your knees and ankles is potentially problematic. The competition in tennis gets stronger and better conditioned year by year. There are a number of players who have won Slams after childbirth. These include Margaret Court who was pregnant with her 3rd child when she finally retired. She managed to be successful on the tour with a family in tow despite not having the resources. financial etc., that Serena has access to.
I believe in 1970 she played in 27 events winning 21 of them at a time when players treated many other events very highly such as the Spanish and Italian. Serena could take note, get fit , play more then success could follow. She might win without this but far less likely.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Bit lost with all these replies. Serena needs to get much fitter. Full stop. Any runner will tell you carrying even 4-5 extra pounds slows you down massively. You simply cannot compete. On a hard court the extra pressure on your knees and ankles is potentially problematic. The competition in tennis gets stronger and better conditioned year by year. There are a number of players who have won Slams after childbirth. These include Margaret Court who was pregnant with her 3rd child when she finally retired. She managed to be successful on the tour with a family in tow despite not having the resources. financial etc., that Serena has access to.
I believe in 1970 she played in 27 events winning 21 of them at a time when players treated many other events very highly such as the Spanish and Italian. Serena could take note, get fit , play more then success could follow. She might win without this but far less likely.
Agree. That’s what I meant when I said she should focus on her tennis career more. In her best seasons she was much fitter. Look at her 2002 body or her body in 2012-2013 compared to now.

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
^^^^ That just shows how her body changed, thus her declining performances. But still better than 90% or the women, if not more.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Auckland was a good sign, but I see one of the troubles for Serena in Grand Slams is that it takes 7 matches to win- and if it rains or there are delays, some times back to back matches...If not fully fit, it is a hard to be up against women 15-20 years younger and fitter seven times over 2 weeks....and win everyone.
As we have seen, she has managed six wins, but the seventh has been a bridge too far.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Because she did. And her husband. Hasn’t been the same since.
I don´t think so, if anyone is to be blamed it has to be Vinci in that USO match, that´s when her decline started, she was lucky to have Venus in that last slam and she would probably be more focused without her new family but who knows, maybe not

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I don´t think so, if anyone is to be blamed it has to be Vinci in that USO match, that´s when her decline started, she was lucky to have Venus in that last slam and she would probably be more focused without her new family but who knows, maybe not
Vinci? What a silly response. By the time Serena ran into Vinci she’d already been number 1 for at least two and a half years straight and was bound to have a let down sooner or later. Vinci definitely outplayed Serena there, but probably couldn’t replicate it again to save her life. Serena hasn’t played a full schedule since 2015 because her body started to break down. Series of injuries in 2016 which reduced her to 8-9 tourneys that year, had a baby in 2017, and now hasn’t devoted enough time to fitness since her return. The comment about Serena having Venus in the last slam is an ignorant response too. (One could easily say Kerber got lucky to meet postpartum Serena in her Wimby final, especially after being mauled by both Serena and Garbiñe, two players who are both superior to her on grass, in previous years) Anyway, Serena made three more slam finals in 2016 even though she didn’t play a full schedule, so how can you claim the decline was due to the Vinci loss? Played one of the best Wimbledon finals in recent memory in the 2016 final, so that doesn’t sound like a woman who gave up on her career after an unexpected loss to Vinci. Hate when fans try to claim that one match altered a player’s whole career. Serena’s problems are due mostly to a lack of match play and fitness and occasionally due to injury, and she probably knows that too.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I hate seeing Serena flailing and struggling to move on court. Age is not an excuse, she's not 60. She just needs to train harder. Work on her flexibility. Lose some weight. Maybe she's trying to protect her knee and doesn't want to push herself in practice.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The problem with Serena is that she cannot bring her A game for seven straight matches anymore. IMO her a game is still too good for anyone on tour, but it's just not always there anymore. This is what happens when you get old.

41 - 60 of 107 Posts