Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if Mouratoglou realizes that Serena minus crisp movement has less chance of winning a grandslam.
  • Serena beat Wang easily last year, now she got beat m in a tight set. What does that say? Serena’s game is on a standstill, while other players evolve. Or has Serena’s game regressed?
  • serena refuses to make adjustments. She can no longer stand soo close to the baseline, inside a baseline. Even top men stand back to receive and return aggressively. Serena lost a lot of points just overhitting her mark. People have gotten stronger, better serves, better placement. You can’t just show up, you’ve got to be in the zone for ever match. Step back and punish those balls.
  • Movement is very limited now. Stretch her out, and she starts yelling out. In stress. It’s awful to hear her struggle, while the other player just punished her. Serena hates cardio, and that’s why her movement has declined.
  • Serena’s practice sessions pretty much don’t push her, test her limits. I think Patrick doesn’t give her a reality check, make her go to extreme side to side lateral movement. She’s always hitting in comfort, when she finds a player that can counter her power and move her, she panics and the whole game collapses.
  • Serena May try working on her baseline game more. Maybe call in the top make players to learn how to play aggressive hard hitting players. She’s playing a game that was superior in 2000 and is now not going to cut it. The girls caught up to her, and are now passing her.
  • serena has been playing for 25years or more, everyone knows her game. Girls studies her tendencies. She stopped being a student of the game. Her Game never improved. Forehand at some point was firm in 2013, now it’s just inconsistent. Serve is faulty, movement is all but gone.
  • I know people said that Serena looked fit, to me she looked very heavy. For a sportsperson, cardio running is what makes a player light on his/her feet. Serena has all kinds of fat pockets sticking out. Her back, waist, thighs. If she really ran for 45mins to 1hr 4x to 5x a week for 6 weeks and reduced carbs and went vegetarian, she would drop easily 10-15kg and she would be a force to deal with. But I don’t know that she has that in her at almost 40. She’s just too bulky. Her joints must be hurting, and that’s the challenge that comes with age.
  • Serena works hard for a woman with a young child, but she has to do much much more if this is that important to her. She has to worker harder than she has ever, sacrifice even more. She has to live breath fitness and tennis. Take time to studies videos hours of the top players, learn what they do better than her and accept criticism. Otherwise we can just say thank you for the great ride. She’s definitely the GOAT and most consistent player ever. I will definitely miss her greatness.

• If she comes back I would love to see her retool her game, surprise people. We are used to the power and the serve, now People got over that. Less court noise more skillz. I want to see her throw in drop shots confidently, I want to see her go toe to toe from the baseline without making agonizing noises because of the stress and come out a winner. I want to see her serve effortlessly! That serve is very strained and very faulty unlike in her prime.
  • I want to look at her and feel like, this woman is fit, fit fit lean and just that superior. What I saw in the open is someone trying to sneak a win when she knows she’s not in great shape to compete. So maybe her time and is now going very fast. It’s up to her to make more sacrifices, to push herself even more. I don’t know if she is, I actually feel she will try, but she’s not going to take it up a few notches.

·
Registered
10,998 Posts
  • Serena needs matches to get into match form.
  • But Serena also needs longer time for recovery, at least 2 weeks after a serious workload (title), if you ask me.
  • So, the FOpen-Wimbledon double is practically impassible. Maybe 1-2 grass warm up matches before Wimbledon can be afforded. (But in place of Serena I would adjust to grass during the clay court season, together with cardio training.)
  • Before the USO the situation is almost the same.

·
Registered
995 Posts
serena's window closed last year when she lost to halep and andreescu.

the mother no longer as the aura, players relish the challenge to play her now, not scared to play her.
plus every slam that goes by, she's closer to retirement.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
We all aware of that. Even Serena does. But hey, even Barty could win on clay and Help won on grass, why should she stop trying? But no doubt it's getting harder and harder because the younger generations started to settle.

Having said that, I can't imgaine she would drag herself through another season if this year turns out to be a mess with 0 GS finals.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
seriously wtf was that OP... i stopped reading once i realized it was just a random rant.

Anyway Williams only cares about Wimby & USO now, pretty sure she'll show up to contend at those events this year. And maybe she still cares about Miami since she won it what, 8 or 9 times. The FO is probably not going to happen for her.

·
Registered
113,189 Posts
Anyone objective would say the window is closing and for Federer also. But draws fall apart in WTA and you never know. Maybe at Wimbledon she will have a good serving tournament and get lucky with her draw. Osaka and Andreescu didnt choke. If Osaka played that final in NY like her loss to Gauff, Serena would have 24. But the window is closing and time is not her friend

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
She literally just won a title in Auckland, and she reached 2 Slam finals last year. I'd chill with the "her career is over" posts.

She vultured Auckland. C'mon She is a top 10 player and there was a premier tournament, she decided to go play a MM and when Pliskova rightfully said, there was no competition for her there in Auckland, Renatards suddenly put on their offended veil and started calling Pliskova arrogant even though she was so complimentary of Rena.

But I agree with you she can definitely win a slam or may be even two. It doesn't matter what her movement is like or when her serve abandons here. What she need is all the elements to work for her for just two week period and she can win it. Like Ostapenko.

·
Registered
14,942 Posts
Williams only cares about Wimby & USO now, pretty sure she'll show up to contend at those events this year. And maybe she still cares about Miami since she won it what, 8 or 9 times. The FO is probably not going to happen for her.
At this old-n-slow stage she gives no fuck about any tournament in and of itself. It's all bout stats and legacy now — she wants that slam, that Margot record. And the FO is just as good as any other for that purpose.

Now watch her go prepare her ass for clay even before the clay season starts.

·
Registered
84,354 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

@Peedubb ´s window is just about shut

·
Registered
188 Posts
This is an overreaction.

It's one match. Sometimes you run into a player who's treeing out of their mind, painting the lines with every shot, or you have an off day and you keep hitting it long or wide (or short into the net). It happens. One match does not really mean anything.

Now if Serena repeatedly does this over the course of a season, then it's cause for alarm. But one match is not indicative of any sort of trend or pattern. At best it's just wayward data.

Stop using one match as an indication of a player's habits or trajectory for the rest of their career.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
She vultured Auckland. C'mon She is a top 10 player and there was a premier tournament, she decided to go play a MM and when Pliskova rightfully said, there was no competition for her there in Auckland, Renatards suddenly put on their offended veil and started calling Pliskova arrogant even though she was so complimentary of Rena.
I don’t like Pliskova, but it’s not because of her Serena comments. Pliskova was right that competition was tougher in Brisbane, but here at AO she and Rena are both out in round three. I think a fit and focused Serena at Pliskova’s age would’ve gone deep in Pliskova’s draw, and Pliskova has often failed to take her chances, hence why she’s remained slam-less so long. For me, Pliskova has a boring game and poor movement. And yes, she was complimentary to Rena in some of her comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
511 Posts
Why do people think Serena could win a grand slam?? She is overweight, cannot serve, and ruined her chances at the record of 24 grand slams the moment she had sex without a condom. Sex ruins everything and Serena is no exception

·
Registered
19,520 Posts
I can never rule Serena out because of how easy she can win matches at times, but it's true from what we've seen in the slam finals she's contested and losses to Wang and Kenin that she is definitely vulnerable to having off days where she struggles to get up to the ball. Sometimes she can overcome an opponent by way of grit and status. That's how she turned the matches around against McHale and Pegula after a poor start in Auckland. But it doesn't always happen. Getting up that extra gear is the bit that Serena has been missing on the big stage, and the pressure does mount playing opponents who also return fairly well and can hit consistently and keep her moving as well.
I do feel Serena hasn't quite changed her game while her overall fitness and movement has deteriorated. Her powerful serve and return is good enough to go deep and make people shudder, but not quite enough thus far to take home the big prize.

He is her coach? I thought he just pays her to stay in her box so he can promote his academy?
I saw him in Coco Gauff's box today. This guy gets around.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts