Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a rumour a few days ago about Zhang Shuai entering a 125K in Korea in late December and now the WTA has updated their website to show this:

Azure Rectangle Sky Slope Line

So excited about this news! Although not sure about the timing of the tournament considering that it is Christmas during that week. But this is great news for Asian players!

Registered
Maybe it's just been postponed because of Omicron. Does S Korea have new quarantine requirements for vaccinated travellers due to this new strain? I just don't think players are going to go to this event or to Abu Dhabi because of Omicron - it makes sense to stay in one country/Australian state for a few weeks at a time to avoid new quarantine requirements.

Registered
Christmas is a Western thing. No problem for Asians to play that week.
Yes and no. Many Asians, including Koreans, do celebrate Christmas, especially considering that South Korea has a large Christian population. But it鈥檚 not as big a deal as in the West and it is really more a business.

Registered

Banned
Maybe it's just been postponed because of Omicron. Does S Korea have new quarantine requirements for vaccinated travellers due to this new strain? I just don't think players are going to go to this event or to Abu Dhabi because of Omicron - it makes sense to stay in one country/Australian state for a few weeks at a time to avoid new quarantine requirements.
Is there an Abu Dhabi event too ?

Registered
The upside of sport during the Christmas period in general is that many fans would actually have more free time to go and attend!

Registered
I strongly doubt this event will happen. Already the WTA says it is postponed, and God knows they are usually the last to tell their fans anything. Now with this new Covid variant, even though it is said to come from Africa, I doubt there will be another event in Asia this year. Those two 125 events in France I would think are in jeopardy as well. What a shame for players trying to gain precious ranking points. Just when we thought things were getting better, this happens.......I hope we see the 2022 AO take place. :unsure:

Registered
I strongly doubt this event will happen. Already the WTA says it is postponed, and God knows they are usually the last to tell their fans anything. Now with this new Covid variant, even though it is said to come from Africa, I doubt there will be another event in Asia this year. Those two 125 events in France I would think are in jeopardy as well. What a shame for players trying to gain precious ranking points. Just when we thought things were getting better, this happens.......I hope we see the 2022 AO take place. :unsure:
I think it says "postponed" because the original Korea Open from September was postponed and this is the replacement. At the moment Korea is still allowing in people from most countries except certain ones from Southern Africa, although I agree the situation does create some doubt. Recently there here have been foreign soccer teams coming to Korea to play so it's still possible to me this event goes ahead.

Registered
ok, a suspected case of omicron variant has been found in Korea and President said there may be stricter immigration and quarantine restrictions. Nothing confirmed yet but doesn't sounds great. God damn corona... when will I ever see tennis on these shores again?

Registered
ok, a suspected case of omicron variant has been found in Korea and President said there may be stricter immigration and quarantine restrictions. Nothing confirmed yet but doesn't sounds great. God damn corona... when will I ever see tennis on these shores again?
Trust me the last thing I want to see is another tournament cancelled. Let's hope this doesn't affect the 2022 season.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts