Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Veelieve!!!
32,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Republican-controlled Senate smothered a proposed election-year increase in the minimum wage Wednesday, rejecting Democratic claims that it was past time to boost the $5.15 hourly pay floor that has been in effect for nearly a decade.

The 52-46 vote was eight short of the 60 needed for approval and came one day after House Republican leaders made clear they do not intend to allow a vote on the issue, fearing it might pass.

Sixty votes were required because the plan was proposed as an amendment to an unrelated defense bill.

The Senate vote marked the ninth time since 1997 that Democrats there have proposed -- and Republicans have blocked -- a stand-alone increase in the minimum wage. The debate fell along predictable lines.

"Americans believe that no one who works hard for a living should have to live in poverty. A job should lift you out of poverty, not keep you in it," said Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Massachusetts. He said a worker paid $5.15 an hour would earn $10,700 a year, "almost $6,000 below the poverty line for a family of three."

Republicans said a minimum wage increase would wind up hurting the low-wage workers that Democrats said they want to help.

"For every increase you make in the minimum wage, you will cost some of them their jobs," said Sen. Johnny Isakson, R-Georgia.

He described the clash as a "classic debate between two very different philosophies. One philosophy that believes in the marketplace, the competitive system ... and entrepreneurship. And secondly is the argument that says the government knows better and that topdown mandates work."

The measure drew the support of 43 Democrats, eight Republicans and one independent. Four of those eight Republicans are seeking re-election in the fall.

Democrats had conceded in advance that this attempt to raise the minimum wage would fare no better than their previous attempts. At the same time, they have made clear in recent days they hope to gain support in the coming midterm elections by stressing the issue. Organized labor supports the legislation, and Sen. Chris Dodd, D-Connecticut, said that contrary to some impressions, most minimum wage workers are adults, not teenagers, and many of them are women.

"When the Democrats control the Senate, one of the first pieces of legislation we'll see is an increase in the minimum wage," said Kennedy.

His proposal would have increased the minimum wage to $5.85 beginning 60 days after the legislation was enacted; to $6.55 one year later; and to $7.25 a year after that. He said inflation has eroded the value of the current $5.15 minimum wage by 20 percent.

With the help of a few rebellious Republicans, House Democrats on the House Appropriations Committee succeeded in attaching a minimum wage increase last week to legislation providing funding for federal social programs. Fearing that the House would pass the measure with the increase intact, the GOP leadership swiftly decided to sidetrack the entire bill.

"I am opposed to it, and I think a vast majority of our (rank and file) is opposed to it," House Majority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, said Tuesday.

Pressed by reporters, he said, "There are limits to my willingness to just throw anything out on the floor."

While Democrats depend on organized labor to win elections, Republicans are closely aligned with business interests that oppose any increase in the federal wage floor or would like changes in the current system.

Sen. Mike Enzi, R-Wyoming, chairman of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, offered an alternative that proposed a minimum wage increase of $1.10 over 18 months, in two steps.

The increase was coupled with a variety of provisions offering regulatory or tax relief to small businesses, including one to exempt enterprises with less than $1 million in annual receipts from the federal wage and hour law entirely. The current exemption level is $500,000, and a Republican document noted the amount had "lagged behind inflation."

Additionally, Republicans proposed a system of optional "flextime" for workers, a step that Enzi said would allow employees, at their discretion, to work more than 40 hours one week in exchange for more time off the next. Unions generally oppose such initiatives, and the Republican plan drew 45 votes, with 53 in opposition.

Nine Senate Republicans voted against both proposals.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/06/21/minimum.wage.ap/index.html

FuckingUNconscionable after raising their salary nine times by the equivalent of three times the ENTIRE minimum wage since the last time the minimum wage was raised. And they barely do anything. It's time to tie THEIR raises into the minimum wage. :fiery:

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
If you cut through all the window dressing put up by the republicans, all the flag waiving and misty-eyed talk about faith and family values, it's legislative positions like this that tell you where they really stand. They yammer about family values at the same time they vote to keep working families in poverty. This vote is just one of scores of examples since they took control of the legislative and executive branches of government. Hypocritical bastards.

Reactions: Paneru

·
Veelieve!!!
32,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speaking of family values :lol:

GOVERNOR'S RACE (Florida)
Gallagher's family values take hit with revelations
Tom Gallagher's admission that a 1979 extramarital affair led to his divorce forced the candidate for governor to leave the script of his family-focused campaign.
BY MARY ELLEN KLAS
[email protected]

TALLAHASSEE - Tom Gallagher, the Republican state chief financial officer running for governor on a platform of family values, admitted Monday that he had an extramarital affair that led to his 1979 divorce and said he used marijuana before he was elected to public office ''many, many'' years ago.

Gallagher, 62, conducted an impromptu news conference with his wife, Laura, after The Tampa Tribune asked him about 26 pages excerpted from his 27-year-old divorce file, expunged from Miami-Dade court files years ago in a routine purging of dated records.

The revelations come as Gallagher courts religious conservatives, who have embraced him, in part, because he is married and has a 7-year-old son. They see him as more of a committed family man than his GOP primary opponent, Attorney General Charlie Crist, who remains single after a divorce in 1980 following seven months of marriage.

The divorce documents, as well as additional court records obtained by The Miami Herald, show that Gallagher's ex-wife, Ann Louise, kicked him out of their Miami home in 1979 when she discovered he had been having a yearlong affair with a Tallahassee legislative aide.

At the time, Gallagher was a state representative from Coconut Grove and owned a Tallahassee condominium, leased by his then-girlfriend, Stephanie W. McBee.

After Ann Louise filed for divorce in 1979, an allegedly intoxicated Gallagher returned to their home and tore a screen off the house, the court documents say. The next day, he returned and took the dog. Ann Louise Gallagher asked a judge for a restraining order.

The apparently sympathetic judge, Milton Rubin, told Tom Gallagher: ``You're a public figure. You don't need any adverse publicity.''

The judge then agreed not to ''embarrass'' him with a restraining order as long as Gallagher agreed to stay away from the home until the divorce was final.

GIRLFRIEND TESTIFIES

In a copy of a September 1979 deposition of McBee obtained by The Miami Herald, the former girlfriend testified that during 1978 and 1979, she traveled with Gallagher to Atlanta, Texas, California, Miami, Orlando, West Virginia, Washington, D.C., Delaware and Nassau in the Bahamas. She stayed at his Miami home for three days when his wife was in Michigan, and he gave her gifts.

McBee testified that in 1979, she spent three days with Gallagher in Nassau, where they ``went to dinner, saw a show, swam, laid on the beach and read.''

McBee said she gave Gallagher gifts as well, including a handmade needlepoint belt that Ann Louise Gallagher later found and burned.

Gallagher's mother, Hope. D. Gallagher, testified that after Ann Louise filed for divorce, her son asked her to go into the couple's home and retrieve a family heirloom, a grandfather clock.

''If she burnt a belt, she might do the same thing to . . . things that are irreplaceable,'' the elder Gallagher testified.

A contrite Tom Gallagher said on Monday he does not regret that the documents have become public, and that he takes full responsibility for his past. ''Divorces are messy, but I take full responsibility for what led to mine,'' he said. ``It was totally my fault.''

A DIFFERENT MAN

But Gallagher emphasized that he is not the same man who first sought the Republican nomination for governor in 1982, when he had a reputation in Tallahassee as a bon vivant and ladies' man.

''I know that many of you have been somewhat skeptical about some of the changes that have taken place in my life -- that it's some kind of a campaign strategy,'' Gallagher said. ``But I'm here to tell you, Christ does change lives, and I'm a different person because of it.''

Gallagher credited his wife, Laura, a telecommunications lawyer and devout Southern Baptist, with turning his life.

Laura Gallagher said she wanted people to know that ``Tom and I discussed all of these issues before we were married, including his divorce and even that he tried marijuana.

''It's difficult to acknowledge past mistakes like this, but it's something we all have to do and I'm proud of Tom for doing that,'' she said.

The candidate said that although he used marijuana, he never used other illegal drugs.

Crist's campaign would not comment on the Gallagher divorce documents, but noted that as a candidate for state commissioner of education in 2000, Crist disclosed he had tried marijuana when he was in school.

''It was a mistake and he regrets it,'' said Crist spokeswoman Vivian Myrtetus.

Gallagher's closest supporters from the religious right sent out missives late Monday affirming their support despite his past.

''The crux of our faith is the cross, is repentance, is redemption,'' said John Stemberger, a leader in the Florida's Christian conservative movement. ``I've been around awhile. I've known people who are what I call phony political conversions, but I've spent a lot of time with Tom and Laura and I think he's genuine.''

Miami Herald staff writer Gary Fineout contributed to this report.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
meyerpl said:
If you cut through all the window dressing put up by the republicans, all the flag waiving and misty-eyed talk about faith and family values, it's legislative positions like this that tell you where they really stand. They yammer about family values at the same time they vote to keep working families in poverty. This vote is just one of scores of examples since they took control of the legislative and executive branches of government. Hypocritical bastards.
It’s a classic when you consider how morally outraged they get when things like gay marriage, abortion etc are discussed..

But actually help some disadvantaged people out of poverty? Although Jesus would have done it, never will the republicans...

Reactions: Paneru and meyerpl

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
Czechfan said:
It’s a classic when you consider how morally outraged they get when things like gay marriage, abortion etc are discussed..

But actually help some disadvantaged people out of poverty? Although Jesus would have done it, never will the republicans...

Excellent! How true.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
OMG!! I almost agree with the republicans on this, :eek: while raising the minimum wage may help those earning it for a short while but in the long run it will cause more harm than good to especially the poor.

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
dementieva's fan said:
OMG!! I almost agree with the republicans on this, :eek: while raising the minimum wage may help those earning it for a short while but in the long run it will cause more harm than good to especially the poor.
Would you care to explain this?

·
Registered
52,354 Posts
dementieva's fan said:
I'm glad we have raised our minimum wage in Canada. I think it used to be in the five dollar range a while ago :rolleyes::tape:

Province General Wage More Information
Alberta $7.00 Alberta Human Resources and Employment
BC $8.00 B.C. Ministry of Labour
Manitoba $7.60 Manitoba Labour
New Brunswick $6.50 Training and Employment Development
Newfoundland $6.50 Labour Relations Agency
NWT $8.25
Nova Scotia $7.15 Environment and Labour
Nunavut $8.50
Ontario $7.75 Ministry of Labour
PEI $7.15 Community and Cultural Affairs
Quebec $7.60 Commission des normes du travail
Saskatchewan $7.55 Saskatchewan Labour
Yukon $7.20
http://canadaonline.about.com/library/bl/blminwage.htm

Reactions: Paneru

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
SelesFan70 said:
Does anyone on here know anyone that makes minimum wage? :rolleyes: Y'all are outraged and the weirdest things!
Yes!

My godmother is 46 years old!
She just got recently married but
her husband cannot work! She works her
ass off and is always asking for and getting
extra hours and is still just able to break even
month by month.

Yet, you never hear her complain
about a thing!

You can talk and take party lines if you'd like
but this is a bunch of bs by these republicans!

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
family values and religion my ass :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
religion can only go so far you fucking republican twats :mad: :mad:

·
Premium Member
19,765 Posts
SelesFan70 said:
Does anyone on here know anyone that makes minimum wage? :rolleyes: Y'all are outraged and the weirdest things!
:help: :speakles: Please don't tell me you are this out of touch with reality.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
Before reading that article, I didn't realize minimum wage in the U.S was so low :eek:

Reactions: Lord Nelson

·
Premium Member
19,765 Posts
dementieva's fan said:
How will not increasing the minimum wage help the poor in the long run? :tape:

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
dementieva's fan said:

Oh do explain!

Keep the rich rich and keep
the poor poor.

All they want here
is to preserve the status quo.

Not to mention keeping this while pandering
to the illegal immigrants who like the minimum
wage workers will work their asses off, difference
being they'll work for even less and can't/won't
demand to adequate pay for adequate labor.

Why raise minimum wage when you're having an
influx of more people to work in the trenches of this country.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
harloo said:
How will not increasing the minimum wage help the poor in the long run? :tape:
Let's say there is company that employs people at minimum wage and sells its produce to another company which also employs people at minimum wage and which creates the final refined product to sell in the market, now lets say the minimum wage is increased by $2, now the first company has to pay all of its employees $2 more per person per hour. Even if that company has only 200 persons employed it is going to cost it $400 more per hour to make that same product and now when it sells that product to the second company responsible for producing the final product, the second company would have to pay the first company more to buy the same product and now the seconds company which is responsible for producing the refined product also has to pay its employees 2$ more/hour/person and if this company has 100 employees it is going to cost it $200/person/hour more to produce. Now when this company sells it's final product to the market it is going to sell it at a higher price since it has to accommodate the price at which it bought the raw product and the price which it took to produce the final price of that product. You should know that business owner will not want a fall in his profit so to maintain his profit he will have to sell the product at the higher price. So when a poor guy goes to the market to buy that product he will have to pay more for it. Even if his minimum wage was increased, but his overall purchasing power remains the same if not less.

You guys are thinking that by increasing the minimum wage, the gap between rich and poor will be cut down. But for that you are making a big assumption that the business will compromise with lower profits. That's a big assumption. The CEO of the business will be pissed that his salary is coming down, so will all the higher earners and to maintain their salaries the would have to make an effort to increase their profits and to increase their profits they increase prices. I admit that CEO and business owners are over payed but there is nothing we can do to control it and they will try to maintain their profits which will hurt the poor in the end.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
hablovah said:
I'm glad we have raised our minimum wage in Canada. I think it used to be in the five dollar range a while ago :rolleyes::tape:

http://canadaonline.about.com/library/bl/blminwage.htm
angele87 said:
Before reading that article, I didn't realize minimum wage in the U.S was so low :eek:
You two are mistaken, the minimum wages hablovah posted are in canadian dollars, multiply it by .89 to get its value in US$. Also all the big cities have higher minimum wages. I admit that the federal minimum wage in US is a bit too low. It should be at least $6.15 that is fair. But almost all the major centers in the US have a different minimum wage than the federal one. New York for example has $6.75US as a minimum wage which is an equivalent of $7.5CAN which is like very similar to minimum wages in Canada, plus the person in NYC also has a higher purchasing power as stuff is a lot cheaper in the US than in Canada.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Paneru said:
Oh do explain!

Keep the rich rich and keep
the poor poor.

All they want here
is to preserve the status quo.

Not to mention keeping this while pandering
to the illegal immigrants who like the minimum
wage workers will work their asses off, difference
being they'll work for even less and can't/won't
demand to adequate pay for adequate labor.

Why raise minimum wage when you're having an
influx of more people to work in the trenches of this country.
Do you for some reason think that I don't wan poor to become richer? :confused: For the record I'm not rich by any stretch of imagination. I am probably in the same status group as you and most people here. Also you are assuming that everyone who is poor works on minimum wage that is not the case. A single mother of two working at $10/hour is also very poor and below the poverty line. How will raising the minimum wage help her? :confused: Instead she would have to pay more for the same services. And how many people work on minimum wage anyways? And what is their age demographic, I'm positive that most people who work on minimum wages are high school students or college students who will be in the mainstream job market in a few years.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
angele87 said:

dementieva's fan said:
You two are mistaken.
:lol: I'm actually quite certain that before reading this, I did not know what the minimum wage in the U.S was. If you're refering to my low comment, it's just an opinion so you can't justify telling me I'm mistaken.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts