Tennis Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What kind of equipment should I purchase to do some self tennis training? And what type of training should I do?

I'd like to improve my game, but I can't always count on someone to play with me, or to train with me. So I'm asking for best self-training solutions.

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
Buy at least a racquet, lotsof balls, and a ball hopper.

With these you can go to a court and practise your serve.

If you can afford it, buy a ball machine, but it isn't necessary. In fact I would say practising against a wall is better in some ways than using a ball machine.

Lastly, you CANNOT substitute practising with another person. Try to find someone better than you who is willing to hit with you.

ANd if you can take some lessons with a tennis pro.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
in my experience, self training is not that great

you need a coach to correct what you're doing, otherwise you'll inevitably develop bad habits that can help you, but in the long run will halt your progress and it will be tough to get rid of them. Coaches help you get all parts of your game better, while you'll probably stick to hitting particular shots that you like instead of improving your overall game. Everyone needs to be able to slice, volley, smash and get a few tactical notions, even if he doesn't tell you what he's doing, he's always trying to put you in different situations that you would avoid by yourself. For instance, I need pace as I like whacking the ball around, but when one coach or opponent junkballs me, I find it hard getting into different rhythms. It's great to play different styles because you'll never get the same opponent/game, that's why tennis is so great, you never know what you're gonna get :) Even though most players these days play similar games (mostly on the wta) they still are very different. You need to know what to attack, what to expect from your opponent and how to counter.

Tennis is about sabbotage, wether you psych out your opponents like Santoro and Conchita did, or taking the match away from your opponents' hands with all out attack, like Sprem and Gonzalez. Either way you choose it depends on your personality, which reflects in your game, not on intelligence like some people say. Serena Williams for instance, combines attack with great defensive play, and I'm not talking about grinding it out. Serena for me, is the ideal player in the wta, she has great tactical knowledge and intelligence on court, she knows exactly what to do and even she has limitations, just like everyone has, but she overcomes it with great perception of what is going on , she understands the game and most importantly, she's always aware of the psychological aspects of the game, she recognizes turning points in a match and plays those big points like no other. Maria is very much the same, and like Serena, doesn't get enough credit for her tactical awareness. She knows she has to rely on hitting hard left and right because that's where she's better, and is toast when she is put on the run. So even though she may seem brainless to some when she's whacking the ball around, she knows it's a gamble but the divindends outweigh the risks. It's all math really, and she'd stand no chance prolonging a match where she will run out of stamina and collapse, she's no Clijsters

well i kinda lost track of the thread but in your case I take it you're not a professional player lol, so for us non professionals let's stick to getting the ball across the net for starters. And yes a coach would be very helpful

1 - 4 of 4 Posts