Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seles Withdraws From Toronto With Foot Injury


Photo By Art Seitz By Adrianna Outlaw
07/31/2003

Monica Seles' right foot injury has forced her to step out of the Rogers AT&T Cup, which begins on August 9th at the National Tennis Centre in Toronto. The four-time Canadian champion has been hobbled by a painful injury to the sesamoid bone in her right foot.


The 12th-seeded Seles limped out of the French Open in a 6-4, 6-0 loss to Nadia Petrova last month. It was the first time in her storied career that Seles suffered a first-round loss in a Grand Slam. She has not played a match since and her status for the U.S. Open, which starts on August 25th, is now in doubt.

The injury — which also forced Seles to pull out of Indian Wells, Miami, Charleston and the Fed Cup quarterfinals — severely slowed Seles' mobility in matches this season. In an interview in May, Seles said either extensive rest or surgery are the only options to alleviate the injury.

"It would take at least six to nine months to cure this. (Anna) Kournikova had it and she had to have surgery," Seles said. "It's one of those problems that's pretty serious. I just don't feel at this stage in my career I want to have surgery and be off nine months and come back to the world of tennis. If it can get better, I'll take a little bit more time off. If it's not, then I have to make a decision to stop."



Not looking good fore Monica to play US Open. Hope she feels better, but I think retirement is probably near. Major bummer :sad: :sad:
 

·
In my new place!!
Joined
·
22,955 Posts
:sad: :sad:

Im afraid so too.........


We :hearts: you Monica!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,533 Posts
Looking like the end of the road for the great Monica Seles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,453 Posts
With so many people withdrawing from the Toronto event, I feel like asking for tickets refund. My reason for withdrawal would be ass injury. :eek:
Hey, if I can't sit, give me my money back!

BTW, I'm really sorry for these girls. Can't be fun at all!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,330 Posts
I think Monica just needs to call it quits. Shes no longer healthy and her prime was in 88-93. Shes no longer a major contender for the grand slams. She wasted her last chance which was 2001 at the Aus Open and should have beaten Hingis. Good Luck to you seles with your life off the court and hopefully you will get your teaching degree and become a teacher. :) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,233 Posts
I'm feel that this will be the last year for Monica. I don't know how she continues. :sad: :sad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,270 Posts
Yeah it looks like she will retire. Her statements alone tell us that if her foot does not heal that she will not have surgery thus she'll have to retire.

What I don't get is she is not playing at the moment so why couldn't she just have had the surgery in June then come back in Februrary?
 

·
Don't mess with Texas!
Joined
·
5,727 Posts
Those quotes are old. I think she just withdrew because she is just not where she wants to be right now. She is just trying the rest method. I am not really surprised at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,458 Posts
i thought these quotes were from FO, anyway, didn't she have a subsequent MRI which showed it was gettin better a few weeks ago??

.... realistically, if she were to retire, she would have told us by now... so her foot must be getting better?? Hoep so anyway

come on MONICA.. get well soon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Monica Seles withdraws from Rogers AT&T Cup tournament

July 30, 2003

TORONTO (AP) -- Monica Seles withdrew from next month's Rogers AT&T Cup tennis tournament Wednesday because of a left foot injury.

``We are disappointed that Monica's injury will prevent her from competing,'' tournament director Stacey Allaster said. ``She has always enjoyed competing in Canada. We wish her the very best in her recovery from injury.''

Top-ranked Serena Williams withdrew two weeks ago, citing a scheduling conflict. The tournament is scheduled for Aug. 11-17.

Seles has been out of action since a first-round appearance at the French Open. She always has been a sentimental favorite in Canada, where she launched her comeback in 1995 following more than two years away from tennis after she was stabbed by a deranged fan.

No. 2 Kim Clijsters of Belgium will be the highest-ranked player in the tournament. Forty-one of the top 50 players in the world have confirmed they will play, including Clijsters, Venus Williams, Justine Henin-Hardenne, defending champion Amelie Mauresmo of France and 46-year-old Martina Navratilova.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,274 Posts
monica sure does withdraw from a lot of tournaments with injuries.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Probably because she's, you know, injured and can't play...

Not very suprising news but hopefully she's resting it up for the end of the summer
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top