Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everybody talks about the matchup Graf vs either sister, but isn´t this one the real matchup?! Seles in her prime vs either sister in theirs.

The inventor of power-tennis vs the ones who added speed and athletiscism to it.

Seles vs Serena is almost an mirror-match, but Serena would have the huge edge in speed and serve, so she would win.

Seles vs Venus. It depends who´s more on. Venus is power, but more defensive minded...so if Seles can run her around enough to tire her( a la Davenport), then she has a shot.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Well Serena vs. Seles is interesting because Serena is offensive defense, while Monica is Offensive Offense

Venus is offensive defense, but a bit more defensive.

Thats why you see Monica push them, but not be able to go the extra mile

But Monica vs. Venus/Serena in 93 wouldve been fun

the head to heads would still be lopsided, but itd be interesting to see that

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
bandabou said:
Everybody talks about the matchup Graf vs either sister, but isn´t this one the real matchup?! Seles in her prime vs either sister in theirs.

The inventor of power-tennis vs the ones who added speed and athletiscism to it.

Seles vs Serena is almost an mirror-match, but Serena would have the huge edge in speed and serve, so she would win.

Seles vs Venus. It depends who´s more on. Venus is power, but more defensive minded...so if Seles can run her around enough to tire her( a la Davenport), then she has a shot.
Weve seen this matchup countless times with Seles coming out the loser on most occastions. I like Monica alot however, both sisters are just better in about every catergory.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
slydevil6142 said:
Weve seen this matchup countless times with Seles coming out the loser on most occastions. I like Monica alot however, both sisters are just better in about every catergory.
yeah, but the Seles of now wasn´t in her prime. I also think that the sisters would win most of the time...still an interesting match-up.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
slydevil6142 said:
He's talking about Monica in her PRIME, not now...:rolleyes:

·
Chionophile
40,190 Posts
bandabou said:
Seles would have the edge in angles, and she believed in herself more than anyone in tennis. I've seen Monica comeback from matches she just shouldn't. She has nerves of steel, Serena can still falter. What's more Monica rarely missed. Serena is very erratic still (Australian Open against Loit, Wimbledon against Capriati).

bandabou said:
Seles wins this. It won't be easy but she will win this.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Monica Seles was a pain in the ass for all of the players from 90-93:eek:! I've got a chance to purchase some of her classic grand slam matches and I watch them over and over again. If you saw Justine's fighting spirit in that Capriati match, Monica at her prime was a notch or two above that:eek: She would play matches were she just stood in the middle of the court just hitting the ball from side to side, so beautiful to watch:kiss:

Monica at her prime would definitely frustrate an emotional Serena Williams. Although, I do see Venus Williams frustrating Seles in return with her reach, so its pretty equal. This would've been a dream match up:D

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Monica SELES (USA) v Venus WILLIAMS (USA)

1998 Stanford Hard (O) SF Venus WILLIAMS 3-6 4-6
1999 New Haven Hard (O) SF Venus WILLIAMS 1-6 3-6
2000 San Diego Hard (O) FR Venus WILLIAMS 0-6 7-6(3) 3-6
2000 New Haven Hard (O) FR Venus WILLIAMS 2-6 4-6
2000 Olympics-Sydney Hard (O) SF Venus WILLIAMS 1-6 6-4 3-6
2001 San Diego Hard (O) FR Venus WILLIAMS 2-6 3-6
2002 Australian Open Hard (O) QF Monica SELES 6-7(4) 6-2 6-3
2002 French Open Clay (O) QF Venus WILLIAMS 4-6 3-6
2002 U.S. Open Hard (O) QF Venus WILLIAMS 2-6 3-6
2002 W.T.A. Tour Championships Hard (I) QF Venus WILLIAMS 5-7 4-6

Venus WILLIAMS (USA) leads 9 : 1

Monica SELES (USA) v Serena WILLIAMS (USA)

1997 Chicago Carpet (I) QF Serena WILLIAMS 6-4 1-6 1-6
1999 Key Biscayne Hard (O) 16 Serena WILLIAMS 2-6 3-6
1999 US Open Hard (O) QF Serena WILLIAMS 6-4 3-6 2-6
2001 Los Angeles Hard (O) QF Monica SELES 6-2 3-6 7-6(2)
2001 Canadian Open Hard (O) SF Serena WILLIAMS 5-7 6-7(5)

Serena WILLIAMS (USA) leads 4 : 1

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sam L said:
Seles would have the edge in angles, and she believed in herself more than anyone in tennis. I've seen Monica comeback from matches she just shouldn't. She has nerves of steel, Serena can still falter. What's more Monica rarely missed. Serena is very erratic still (Australian Open against Loit, Wimbledon against Capriati).

Seles wins this. It won't be easy but she will win this.

Serena missed against Loit, because of the slices and stuff imo....Seles won´t be slicing her that much. Serena has self-believe too. How many people do u think could have said this:" The next level for me next year is top three and then no.1" and make it true in LESS THAN SIX months?!

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hingiswinsthis said:
Monica Seles was a pain in the ass for all of the players from 90-93:eek:! I've got a chance to purchase some of her classic grand slam matches and I watch them over and over again. If you saw Justine's fighting spirit in that Capriati match, Monica at her prime was a notch or two above that:eek: She would play matches were she just stood in the middle of the court just hitting the ball from side to side, so beautiful to watch:kiss:

Monica at her prime would definitely frustrate an emotional Serena Williams. Although, I do see Venus Williams frustrating Seles in return with her reach, so its pretty equal. This would've been a dream match up:D
An emotional Serena....but I think that a Serena on hardcourts would be too much for Seles...clay, may be a contest and grass is a no-contest.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I think Monica of 91-93 was a unmatchable champion!

·
Chionophile
40,190 Posts
bandabou said:
Serena missed against Loit, because of the slices and stuff imo....Seles won´t be slicing her that much. Serena has self-believe too. How many people do u think could have said this:" The next level for me next year is top three and then no.1" and make it true in LESS THAN SIX months?!
That's true. And come to think of it Serena likes the ball to be hit hard at her. She also likes angles and running down the ball.

I just think that with the consistency that Seles was hitting on the ball, it would sure frustrate Serena. The only surface where it wouldn't be close is grass. On all other surfaces, it's a tossup.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sam L said:
That's true. And come to think of it Serena likes the ball to be hit hard at her. She also likes angles and running down the ball.

I just think that with the consistency that Seles was hitting on the ball, it would sure frustrate Serena. The only surface where it wouldn't be close is grass. On all other surfaces, it's a tossup.
That I can second....I think Serena could do a Graf to Seles on grass. on clay, that may be the closest one yet...

But can you imagine these two players at their primes against each other on hardcourts?! That could be ´01 Canadian Open, even better!

·
Registered
24,737 Posts
just the fact that monica has beaten both of these girls in their prime when she's a lot older says she would have been able to certainly beat them if she was able to play her best. her return of serve is superior to either sieter's. she hit's it earlier, harder, and with better angle. however, the seles serve, though not a liability, would be attackable on paper... but it's hard to since shes a lefty. monica would win her fair share of the quick points and she would also be very challenging to beat in a rally. neither sister would ever dominate monica in her prime... she's too focused, too consistent, and just has too much game for anyone to dominate her.

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
We all have to remember when Monica was so great back then there were no players like Venus and Serena out there. The reason V and S have such good records against Seles is because of their dominant serves and supreme movement. I think they are slightly better than Monica was back then, but that's to be expected seeing as it is 10+ years later.

·
Sabatini lover Forever
14,605 Posts
bello said:
I think Monica of 91-93 was a unmatchable champion!
I don`t think so. To be Honest Seles after the stabbing is a more complete player than she was in the 90-93 ages. Maybe the mental part in those early years was better. But Seles before the stabbbing never had a huge serve, her net play was also pretty bad not to mention she used to miss a lot of overheads. Seles mental attitude, a little better footwork, along with those consistent and penetratring groundstrokes made the difference, but to say that Seles could have matched against the Williamses is a pretty hopefully thinking.

I remmember watching a pretty young and unexperienced Mary Pierce hitting winners all over the place against Seles before collapsing to a straight sets loss in Barcelona 92 (not the Olympics). I don`t want to imagine what Serena or Venus would have done :rolleyes:

For her part, Seles could move a little better by then, but she was never that quick around the court and her movement was one of her weakness to exploit in the years of the pre-stabbing, sure Monica was able to turn things around with those poweful groundstrokes, similar to Lindsay.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
fried_beans said:
lol '01 Canadian Open was like the best quality I've ever seen.
Wasn´t it?! I think that was the stretch when Serena was playing some high quality tennis! The match against Seles, Lindsay at the Open.

I think the semi of Serena vs Seles was better than many of the matches on the top 16 list.

Thinking about it: Serena played MANY great matches in ´01!
vs Hingis at the Oz
vs Seles at Canada
vs Lindsay at the Open.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
How would Monica Seles, in her prime, match up against the Williams sisters? I always thought that Monica was the pioneer of hard-hitting. --Ian Napier, London

Jeez, I don't know. Watch the tapes of Seles' matches from the early '90s and it's remarkable to see not only how hard she hit the ball relative to other players, but how accurately she hit it. She would throw her whole body into a shot, slug the bejesus out of the ball and still place it within inches of the line.

Still she didn't come close to possessing the power that Williams sisters have. Seles also wasn't consistenly serving in the 120-mile-per-hour range. Plus, she never had the Williams sisters' speed or athleticism or ability to cover the court. (On the other hand, at her best, Seles was probably mentally tougher than either Venus or Serena.) Surface would play a big factor, obviously, but on a democratic hard court, Seles in her prime would lose to either Venus or Serena in hers. But no doubt it would be a three-setter.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
petosp said:
I don`t think so. To be Honest Seles after the stabbing is a more complete player than she was in the 90-93 ages. Maybe the mental part in those early years was better. But Seles before the stabbbing never had a huge serve, her net play was also pretty bad not to mention she used to miss a lot of overheads. Seles mental attitude, a little better footwork, along with those consistent and penetratring groundstrokes made the difference, but to say that Seles could have matched against the Williamses is a pretty hopefully thinking.

I remmember watching a pretty young and unexperienced Mary Pierce hitting winners all over the place against Seles before collapsing to a straight sets loss in Barcelona 92 (not the Olympics). I don`t want to imagine what Serena or Venus would have done :rolleyes:

For her part, Seles could move a little better by then, but she was never that quick around the court and her movement was one of her weakness to exploit in the years of the pre-stabbing, sure Monica was able to turn things around with those poweful groundstrokes, similar to Lindsay.
Yeah, that´s why I think that Seles´s window has closed with the coming of the Williamses. They had everything Seles had PLUS speed and the serve...can´t top that.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.