Since when?? :sad: :sad:

·
Registered
25,437 Posts
:sad: seems monica has almost missed out most of this year :sad:

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Poor Monica. It really makes me oh so sad. If there was one "active" player out there that I would wish would win another slam, it would be Monica, hands down. Imagine the emotion she would show? She is a great champion. I hope she fights back and gives it one more try. Get well soon Monica! :angel:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
During the Toronto tourney a few days ago, Mary Carillo speculated that Monica skipped Toronto to be sure she was ready for the US Open - because, Mary believes, it would be her last.

Well, I guess no one really knows. I hope she gets some rest and gives it one more year. I would hate to see "Seles quits tennis" on Yahoo Sports out of the blue.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
I am assuming this is probably right. She might as well just take the rest of the year off and get an IPR. They'll give her a "special seeding", although not particularly high because it will go off her ranking from (I think) a month after her last match.

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
The injury ranking will be the ranking from the week when she played her last match. So it won't be as low as her current ranking.

As a former slam winner, Monica can get unlimited wild cards. However, these are at the discretion of the tournament director. Whereas with the proteced ranking, as long as she enters before the deadline, they have to accept her.

It turns out what some of us speculated might happen, did happen. Monica said she didn't want to have the surgery because she didn't want to be off the tour for 2-3 months. Yet it turns out she was anyways.

She should have had the surgery before. But then, hindsight is always 20/20. I'm sure if she had known this would happen, she would have.

I have a feeling she'll be back in 2004. She'll have a sense of unfinished business.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Yep Brian i think your right but she may even thinlk of it being her farewell tour, ala Martina N, and probably decide from the start of the year that it will be her last

·
Banned
1,211 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Felly Tournato said:
Where is this new commitment list? I see people talking about it, but I don't see it.

How about some proof?
I can't find any commitment list either, so I perhaps this is inaccurate information. The only thing I saw posted on the US Open site is this: Keep track of all the top players in the world. Find out who is seeded and track their progress through the 2003 US Open. Please come back the week of August 19th for a list of all seeded players. In the meantime, Please view the current Top 20 ranked players. and then a link to the top 20 ranked players (which Monica isn't in anyway as her ranking slipped while injured). http://www.usopen.org/en_US/bios/seeds.html

Anyone have anything more definite?

Also, regarding injury protected ranking, doesn't a player have to miss 3 Grand Slam events to be able to use a protected ranking at a slam? If that is the case, Monica would not even be able to use one at the Australian Open.

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
A player needs to be out of the game for a certain time period to get a protected ranking. It doesn't matter how many GS events she misses.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
She should take the risk to undergo an operation, if she is still motivated to go through the revalidation.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
monica needs to be out for the rest of the year to get a protected ranking

1 - 20 of 44 Posts