By ANDREW DAMPF, Associated Press Writer
May 14, 2003
ROME (AP) -- Monica Seles pulled out of her second-round match at the Italian Open on Wednesday because of a lingering foot injury.
Seles was using this $1.3 million tournament as a key clay-court tuneup for the French Open, which starts May 26.
``I can wake up three days from now and it can be nothing,'' Seles said. ``It very much comes and goes. I will try to do everything possible at least to try to play the French.''
Seles, seeded 10th, had lost the first set to Russia's Nadia Petrova 6-3 and was down 4-1 in the second when she signaled during the changeover she was stopping.
Seles missed several tournaments earlier this year because of her left foot. She described her injury as the preliminary stages of a stress fracture and is not planning on surgery.
``If it can get better, I'll take a little bit more time off,'' she said. ``If it's not, then I have to make a decision to stop.''
On Tuesday, Seles rallied for a 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 victory against 46th-ranked Myriam Casanova and then pulled out of doubles.
Facing Petrova, Seles lost her serve in the first game of the match and then again early in the second set. She did not attempt to run down several of Petrova's shots.
it's okay Monica - you will be back and will have your rematch against her again when your foot is health.
Wishing you a quick recovery so you can play The French Open!:wavey:
i think this is the first big sign of "the end." she actually used the word "stop" as a career option, and that has never been a thing she has said with an injury. im very very sad to read that especially after she just said she'd do anything to play the french open... i hope it all turns out alright. tennis will miss her dearly. i think this last (?? let's hope not!!) year on the tour has been unfair to her... injury after injury. i really don't know how she has been able to make 2 finals this year...