Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steffi Graf, Monica Seles and Aranxta Sanchez-Vicario combined to win 32 of the 36 Grand Slam events held from 1988 to 1996. During that run, they won 8 out of 9 Australian Opens, 9 out of 9 Roland Garros titles, 7 out of 9 Wimbledon titles and 8 out of 9 US Open titles. Their best combined Slam was Roland Garros where one of the three won titles every year from 1987 to 1999 with the exception of Iva Majoli's win in 1997.

While Graf may have seemed superior to Seles and Sanchez-Vicario and Seles may have seemed superior to Sanchez-Vicario, they were and still are great champions. Graf and Sanchez-Viccario are retired and Seles is towards the end of her career.

Through it all, they provided all of us with amazing memories, great drama and fabulous tennis.

In my opinion, they were the 3 best players of their generation and I thought I'd make a thread to acknowledge that. They did dominate BIG time.

Feel free to add any more accomplishments I might have left out.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
it's weird that steffi was the mentally weakest of them at least till 95 she had a very bad grand slam finals record to them and in tiebreaks too!
it's a fact. steffi was only considered mentally tough because her generation players (sabatini and novotna) choked in two grand slam finals at a worse time then steffi did.(as she had a mini and big choke in both matches too)

that's my view about it. tenniswise she ruled of course despite bad coaches :worship:

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
hingis-seles said:
While Graf may have seemed superior to Seles and Sanchez-Vicario and Seles may have seemed superior to Sanchez-Vicario, they were and still are great champions.
Are you talking about 1996 when Seles was making a comeback after 2.5 years? Because for the most part when they were all at their peak, it was #1 Seles, #2 Graf, #3 Sanchez-Vicario.

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
They are all warriors. Nothing the Williams', Capriati, the Belgians bring to tennis can match the thrill they brought to spectators, nor the respect they had for each other as competitors.

From Aranxta's perspective, in many respects she's as great a player as Seles and Graf. Just to be part of those memories makes her special. Had she not have been as tenacious, none of those heartbreaking losses she endured in marathon matches would be remembered. And Graf and Seles wouldn't be so great. Nobody remembers easy wins.

Thanks for this thread. I'll write more soon.

THey are all irreplaceable.

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
Steffica Greles said:
They are all warriors. Nothing the Williams', Capriati, the Belgians bring to tennis can match the thrill they brought to spectators, nor the respect they had for each other as competitors.
come now, I know those days were great, but these ones will be too.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
They were a great trio and you can't count out Sabatini she played with Graf and Seles and was 1 game away from the #1 and her second grandslam title!

·
Registered
40 Posts
nobody compares to them. they are the best during the 90's. they really did well during that time. they absolutely brought the game to where it is today.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Well, there's no doubt they 3 best players of their generation. I'm just a little unhappy that time is going so fast.

I think it's very hard to compare each otcher, their character, the style of game, and achivements.
Of course Steffi is unbeatable (with the number of GS), but I don't think it's the most important.
They all Arantxa, Monica and Steffi have the same number fans to me. All of them are loved and supported by people, and to each fan it doesn't really matter who is talented more or who got the better results. For me though, I love Arantxa for everything but there are much more qualites that Monica and Steffi has that only her fans know. Although I will root for Arantxa more, I respect the rest of them and wish them all the best.

I just can't stand the time, the memmories just killing me.
I can't understand "the modern tennis", I love "the old" one - Arantxa's, Monica's and Steffi's.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
during the early ninties. people where always complaining what steffi did wrong and that she needed a shrink that was also because she often said in interviews that she was depressed and then she denied it again but they also complained about her raquet and that it was impossible to handle the power with a 10 year old raquet but when she changed she got her but kicked by mary pierce soon after

so was the media just stupid or did she wait to long?

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
selesrules said:
Are you talking about 1996 when Seles was making a comeback after 2.5 years? Because for the most part when they were all at their peak, it was #1 Seles, #2 Graf, #3 Sanchez-Vicario.
*sigh* This thread isn't about which one was better. I created this thread to celebrate all three women for their combined/collective domination which lasted nearly a decade.

They have all achieved enough to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. They are legends and they did a fantastic job of dominating and providing all those epic matches.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
[email protected] :worship:

I loved tennis the most from 90-93
not that I am not crazy now but then I was even more :devil:

I think asv deserves more respect then she gets though in the media and so. she is a little bit the mandlikova of the ninties. :eek:

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
hingis-seles said:
*sigh* This thread isn't about which one was better. I created this thread to celebrate all three women for their combined/collective domination which lasted nearly a decade.
Then maybe you shouldn't have said "While Graf may have seemed superior to Seles and Sanchez-Vicario and Seles may have seemed superior to Sanchez-Vicario, they were and still are great champions." That's not a celebration, that's saying which one is better in your opinion. So I have the right to reply and give my opinion.

·
Registered
781 Posts
irma said:
I think asv deserves more respect then she gets though in the media and so. she is a little bit the mandlikova of the ninties. :eek:
yep,
what is worse, sometimes I think that Arantxa's fans just believe she's not as good as Graf and Seles, and that she's always the 3rd.
That's of course nonsense for me. But she deserves more respect.
I just can't imagine '95 without ASV- that was wonderful year for her, she won almost everything. WOW

Great memmories :bounce:

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
selesrules said:
Then maybe you shouldn't have said "While Graf may have seemed superior to Seles and Sanchez-Vicario and Seles may have seemed superior to Sanchez-Vicario, they were and still are great champions." That's not a celebration, that's saying which one is better in your opinion. So I have the right to reply and give my opinion.
What I was trying to get across with that statement was that for anyone who looks at their numbers, they would obviously think Steffi is better than Monica and Aranxta and that Aranxta isn't in the same league as them. However, I think Steffica Greles said it best that they made each other great. No one remembers the easy wins. Seles, Graf and Sanchez-Vicario played so many GS finals at various emotional times and produced such epics on the biggest stages so consistently. That is what made all of them so great.

And just to clarify, in my opinion, if all of them are at their best, Monica would win. And incase my username didn't give a clear indication, I am a Seles fan. Just because I am a Seles fan doesn't mean I have to put down Graf or say I hate her.

In the end, this thread is just for these three women. All the Graf-Seles threads are arguments on who is better. Aranxta never gets enough credit for what she has achieved. All I wanted was a thread doing that.

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
Sabatini was a great player indeed! I nearly mentioned her - but hesitated.

She was not a warrior player. She was not in 12 slam finals creating history, like Aranxta. She tended to let Graf and Seles roll over her when they expected tough matches in slams. There are, of course, a few exceptions.

BigLindsay: The times of today AREN'T and WON'T be like those of 1990-1996. There just aren't the players who refuse to be intimidated.

The Belgians bore me. The Williams' I admire and marvel at, but they bore me. Lindsay is weak minded in comparison to Aranxta, Monica and Steffi. Jen is not as interesting.

This is just my opinion, and I know many share it. I'm glad you enjoy it, though :)

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
selesrules said:
I have to say you are wrong. When SELES WAS NUMBER ONE. It was mostly (1)Seles,(2)Graf and (3)Sabatini.

And Graf was not at her best (peak) in those years.
Her head 2 head records can confirm it (1990-1993) vs Sabatini, Jana, Arantxa, Conchita, Jennifer. Graf lost more often to this players during this period than after the start of 1994 (despite Arantxa´s win over Graf in that year).

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
irma said:
[email protected] :worship:

I loved tennis the most from 90-93
not that I am not crazy now but then I was even more :devil:

Bobbie! :kiss:

I completely agree with the "Mandlikova of the nineties" comment.

:wavey:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts