Tennis Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Monica Seles continued her run of good form by beating second seed Justine Henin 6-4 6-3 in the quarter-finals of the Paris Open indoor tournament.

Fifth seed Seles will meet Jelena Dokic in the semi-finals after the Yugoslav defeated Elena Dementieva 5-7 6-1 6-2.

Top seed Venus Williams also booked her place in the semi-finals with a quick win over Italian Silvia Farina Elia, 6-2 6-1.

World number seven Henin said it was her lack of experience which had given Seles, ranked 10th, the edge.

"It was experience rather than quality of tennis that made the difference," the 19-year-old Belgian said.

"I've been in the top ten for less than a year while Seles has years and years of experience and a great record."

The 28-year-old American sent Henin racing around the court with a series of penetrating groundstrokes.

Henin responded with several winning serve-volley combinations and also produced some fine baseline shots.

She broke to lead 4-3, but an aggressive Seles then won three straight games to bag the first set.

In the second set the players earned huge cheers from the near sell-out crowd with a series of stunning rallies.

Both held serve up to 4-3 before Seles broke and held to win the match.

"I think I was quite lucky on some points and it could have gone either way today," said Seles.

Top five

The fourth-seeded Dokic came from behind to beat Russian Dementieva and said she hoped to break into the world's top five this year.

"I'm looking towards the top five," the 18-year-old said.

"But it's going to be tough to stay where I am. You see a lot of players get there and then go back so my first aim is to stay there.

"I'm just hoping to play as well as I can. If I play well it's tough to beat me."

In the first set, eighth seed Dementieva began aggressively and kept her nerve to take the set after a series of winning returns and shots from the baseline.

Dokic reacted by turning the power up several notches and although her opponent continued to play well, making few unforced errors, Dokic was unstoppable.

Dementieva said there was nothing she could do to counter Dokic in the second and third sets.

"She always plays very well but today she was serving unbelievable, so she didn't give me any chances on her serve," the Russian added.

Wimbledon and US Open champion Williams took just 49 minutes to dispose of Elia.

Only 13 ranking places separate the two players on the WTA computer, but on Friday's evidence they were worlds apart.

The American awaits the winner of the fourth quarter-final between home favourite and defending champion Amelie Mauresmo or Francesca Schiavone of Italy.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts