Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From The Argus (Brighton's local newspaper)

Tennis: Hantuchova returns to Eastbourne
by Mike Donovan

Daniela Hantuchova will play Eastbourne with orders from her coach to stick to a cod and chips diet at the seaside resort.

Hantuchova's coach Nigel Sears confirmed the Slovakian, a semi finalist last year, is to return to Devonshire Park for the Hastings Direct International Ladies Championships from June 16-19.

But Sears is worried about her weight.

He said: "It is my No. 1 concern for her. I'd like her to put on some. She's in too light a condition.

"She is hitting the ball with as much power as ever but she's burning off more calories than she is putting on.

"When we get to Eastbourne I'd like her to get into plenty of cod and chips.

"You have to be careful with young players but I feel she doesn't eat enough.

"I don't want her to run out of gas. Her energy level matters."

Hantuchova will play doubles with American Jennifer Capriati, who is also playing singles at Eastbourne.

Sears said: "They played together at Wimbledon last year as a one off but they want to give it another try."

Hantuchova will practice on the Devonshire Park courts in the week prior to the tournament.

Should the weather cause problems, the world top ten player will move indoors to train at the Brighton Health and Raquets Club at Falmer, where Sears is based.

Hantuchova, 20 today, has reached six quarter finals and one semi final this year.

Sears said: "Daniela has been very solid but hopefully we can improve as we build up to Eastbourne."

She is playing for her country in the FED Cup in Germany this week before linking up again with Sears next Tuesday for the new tournament in Warsaw, in which Venus Williams plays.

Hantuchova's claycourt season will continue in Berlin and Rome before the French Open in Paris.

And Eastbourne is the stop after that.

Anna Kournakova and reigning champion Chanda Rubin have already confirmed their entries for Eastbourne.

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
Interesting article...... She definitley needs to put the weight on, I think if she did she could be even better than she is now... Hopefully that'll actually happen..

On another note, I think its also good that Jenn is playing doubles at Eastbourne, didnt know that. It'll helo her become more comfortable at the net, which will help her win some points that way. Ive always thought thats something she should try, so happy to hear it!!

·
Banned
8,642 Posts
Is this for real? I was looking forward to some good insight into this issue from an insider but still :confused: Oh, well..i hope she enjoys the fish & chips..a fav. dish of mine that I dont' find that often in NY

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bajangurl said:
Is this for real? I was looking forward to some good insight into this issue from an insider but still :confused: Oh, well..i hope she enjoys the fish & chips..a fav. dish of mine that I dont' find that often in NY
Sorry it's not more 'in depth'; I just thought I'd post it because I know it's a subject that crops up here from time to time and it shows that it is something they are aware of.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Weight problem? What weight problem?

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Colin B said:
Sorry it's not more 'in depth'; I just thought I'd post it because I know it's a subject that crops up here from time to time and it shows that it is something they are aware of.
Hey Engineer Boi! why do yuo Brits use the name 'chips' ? don't yuo realize how ridiculous that is? it's "FREEDOM FRIES!" :fiery: :mad:

- Car Key Boi :p

·
Banned
8,642 Posts
Colin B said:

apologies accepted ;) Wasn't a swipe at you, just the article....

and i like the term chips better than fries- thank you very much Key Boi :D

·
Premium Member
181,849 Posts
nope they go hunting the Potato Family ;)

anyway Daniela really needs to put some weight on :)

·
Banned
8,642 Posts
SerenaJWilliams said:
its like.......the same difference between Daniela and.....MGM for example ;)

hahaha- good visual- you are indeed correct..and that why i say, i can't get any in NY :sad: You see, i am from a once colonized British colony that is very British or used to be, now everybodu wanna be a yankee ;)

·
Momomental
8,576 Posts
She could use a good nutritionist!

I wish her well in both singles and doubles.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
"You have to be careful with young players but I feel she doesn't eat enough."
I guess this settles the debate we had a couple of months ago on Daniela's weight and metabolism. Some posters thought she didn't eat enough, others thought she just burns off the calories quickly, etc.

According to the coach, Daniela doesn't eat enough.

I wish she would start eating some of those fattening foods, she desperately needs to add about 15 pounds or so.

Eat up, Daniela. :)

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
bajangurl said:
hahaha- good visual- you are indeed correct..and that why i say, i can't get any in NY :sad: You see, i am from a once colonized British colony that is very British or used to be, now everybodu wanna be a yankee ;)
haha you cant beat British Chips ;):D

yea when i go to B'dos, i cant decide whether im in another US, or another England :confused: ;)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Jenny and Dani playin doubles :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Cool :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts