Tennis Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long before the Murray brothers took Scottish tennis to a world audience, Scotland had two remarkable players who provided wonderful support to Virginia Wade and Ann Jones. They were Winnie Shaw and Joyce Williams, formerly Barclay later Hume.
Both of them reached grand slam singles quarter finals, and both had career wins over Margaret Court and Evonne Goolagong. Both excelled in doubles, Winnie reaching grand slam finals.
Also there was a third member of the Scottish game who promised much- but she married Roger Taylor and went off into motherhood- Frances MacLennan
This tale of Scotland will also involve names such as John Clifton, Suzie Mair and Judy Erskine-mother of the Murrays.
Join in if you want to learn more about the history of Scottish tennis- this will also include the history of the Scottish Open in Edinburgh.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Scotland had two top 10 players in the past......though neither was a true Scot!

Australian Esna Boyd (#10 in 1928, 1927 Aussie Champ, Wimbledon QFist) married Scotsman Andrew Robertson in 1929 and won a range of Scottish titles through the 1930s - even playing for Scotland against Australia in 1938.

And Chilean Anita Lizana (#1 in 1937) also became a Scot through marriage to Mr Ellis. From memory, one year she might have beaten Robertson in the Scottish Champs.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scotland had two top 10 players in the past......though neither was a true Scot!

Australian Esna Boyd (#10 in 1928, 1927 Aussie Champ, Wimbledon QFist) married Scotsman Andrew Robertson in 1929 and won a range of Scottish titles through the 1930s - even playing for Scotland against Australia in 1938.

And Chilean Anita Lizana (#1 in 1937) also became a Scot through marriage to Mr Ellis. From memory, one year she might have beaten Robertson in the Scottish Champs.
That is fascinating-thanks for that. I would not have made the connection. I have heard of Boyd and Anita Lizana was very famous.
I will have to research more re the pre war Scottish Championships. That is great to think that two such renowned players played under Scottish colours for a while!!!:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts