Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Switzerland’s chances of World Group II survival were dealt a blow with the news that neither of their top two singles players will be available for its World Group II Play-off tie in Australia on 25-26 April.

"Patty advised us a while ago that she would not be available if the tie was on grass, said Erik Keller, president of the Swiss Fed Cup committee, "while Timea wants to concentrate on the clay court season, having missed the start of the year through injury."

Switzerland will rely on Stefanie Voegele, Nicole Riner and 15-year-old Mateja Kraljevic for the tie, which takes place on grass at the Mildura Lawn Tennis Club on 25-26 April. The winning nation will start 2010 Fed Cup in World Group II while the losing nation will start next year in the zonal competition.

Christiane Jolissaint will replace Severin Luthi as captain for this tie as Luthi will be working with Roger Federer when this tie takes place. Switzerland lost the deciding doubles rubber against Germany in their World Group II first round tie in February.

Sam Stosur, Jelena Dokic, Casey Dellacqua and Rennae Stubbs were the four members of the Australian team that won the Asia/Oceania Zone Group I event in Perth without dropping a rubber. Australia, a seven-time Fed Cup champion, is bidding to return to World Group II after two years in zonal competition.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
49,763 Posts
lol australia wins by just choosing the surface

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
So much talent within Patty but she's as crazy as her hair is wild. It sucks Patty won't be able to play cause when she's playing well she's fun to watch.

·
63,588 Posts
I guess even on a nother surface patty wouldn't go there...it's in the middle of her best part of the season
She would come to Australia because she loves the country but not come here to play on grass :eek:

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
I guess it is good news she isn't playing. She should be playing on clay and making the most of the end of her career, enjoying it as much as possible. No need to play in a crappy Australian town 3 hours away from anywhere in front of 200 people and on a drought effected grass tennis court in which she would most likely lose.

Funny because they are forcing people nearly $80 to go watch this over 3 days. What a rip!

Go Australia anyway :)

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
I'm still wondering how Mildura scored this tie. Should be in Brisbane or something, we built a new stadium there for god sake.

·
Registered
152,750 Posts
Oh wow...really big surprise that Patty is missing for a midseason tie in Australia and on GRASS. :lol:

·
Registered
152,750 Posts
I'm still wondering how Mildura scored this tie. Should be in Brisbane or something, we built a new stadium there for god sake.
Because putting it on grass pretty much guaranteed Patty wasn't going to show up. :p

·
Registered
152,750 Posts
I guess even on a nother surface patty wouldn't go there...it's in the middle of her best part of the season
think so too, but putting it on grass makes it 250% sure that she won't come. ;)

·
Premium Member
181,943 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts