Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
She just beat Pisnik 7-5, 7-6 (11-9). She is definitely benefiting from Venus' withdrawl because Venus would have been her third round opponent.

· Banned
191 Posts
Francesca is awesome, and has beaten top players before. In fact she was giving Venus an Amelia Island style whupping before having an Amelia Island style choking earlier this year. (6-1 3-0?)

· Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zvonerevian said:
Francesca is awesome, and has beaten top players before. In fact she was giving Venus an Amelia Island style whupping before having an Amelia Island style choking earlier this year. (6-1 3-0?)
I remember that match; it was in Warsaw and I know that the most important thing is that Venus won.

· Registered
10,884 Posts
I really don't want to take anything away from Francesca's awesome Summer but she definitely benefited from the injury-plagued Summer of the top players.

She is beating players she probably should be beating, but I am wondering if she can ever really challenge the top?

Congrats to her anyway.

· Registered
3,973 Posts
Everyone was talking about how much Venus pulling out benefitted Jennifer, and it certainly did, but I was hoping it would benefit Francesca too, and it did:). Francesca has a shot at the quarterfinals, she has a 1-0 record against both Pratt and Sugiyama, although Suigyama's match wasn't recent, but the Pratt match was at Los Angeles or Stanford(?) and was a thumping. Something like 6-2 6-3(?). Anyways I hope that Francesca fights to the quarterfinals, because then we'll get to see her on TV against Jen.

· Registered
713 Posts
Francesca is cool, she broke through at RG a couple of years ago didn't she, about time she had some luck and rose up the ranks!

· Registered
4,100 Posts
Francesca is fighting (saw todays win) today's match was almost all fran - she either hit something extravagant or missed. She kept on breaking but not holding and then let a 4-1 lead in the TB go - but when she got aggressive she just kept on winning from 30/40- 15 down on Pisnik's serve. She's broken Venus, Kim and serena regularly this year too - if she ever learns to hold serve the next game she will be well into the top 20.
The other thing today was I suddenly thought I was watching Novotna. Fran served and volleyed tons, she practically flew up for overheads and the inability to hold serve reliably when she needed too looked vaguely familiar too.

· Registered
3,973 Posts
fammmmedspin said:
Francesca is fighting (saw todays win) today's match was almost all fran - she either hit something extravagant or missed. She kept on breaking but not holding and then let a 4-1 lead in the TB go - but when she got aggressive she just kept on winning from 30/40- 15 down on Pisnik's serve. She's broken Venus, Kim and serena regularly this year too - if she ever learns to hold serve the next game she will be well into the top 20.
The other thing today was I suddenly thought I was watching Novotna. Fran served and volleyed tons, she practically flew up for overheads and the inability to hold serve reliably when she needed too looked vaguely familiar too.
Sounds like she's doing well. I saw in the statistics that she was playing the net a lot.

· Registered
4,268 Posts
I love watching Francesca play, love her style of game; she just needs to hold serve better and cut out some of those unforced errors! She's such fun to watch; I love her 'never say die' approach and her funny grunt, and the extended grunt as she puts away the winner on a particularly important point! :lol: I know she has benefitted from Venus's withdrawal, but good for her, she's taking advantage of it, and I too really hope she get's to play Jen in the quarters! :D I had the chance to ask Francesca for her autograph after her doubles match at Wimbledon this year and she was so nice, smiling at me and saying 'Of course!' before signing my ticket. She seems really friendly and down to earth!

Go Francesca!! :yeah:

· Registered
4,100 Posts
Shes defended her points or most of them - that will keep her ranking up (presumably if you stay in the top 32 or so your range of choice of where you play is maximised too) Shes still having an odd year though, Kept on bumping into a top3 player who she played close in early rounds. Now shes had to wait twelve hours yesterday, restart her 4r match today at the start of the first set tiebreak and tommorrow (if she doesn't finish tonight) she will have to come out and serve to stay in the match. Had a bit of luck with her 3R USO draw but shes due quite a bit more to redress the balance.

· Registered
6,762 Posts
She's very lesbianish is she lesbian or is she an italian dykon?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.