Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'Like playing a man' as Serena bludgeons Schett to reach last 16

PARIS (AFP) - Defending champion Serena Williams (news - web sites) showed no mercy to Austria's Barbara Schett, crushing the Austrian 6-0, 6-0 to power into the last 16 of the French Open (news - web sites) women's singles.

Serena, who has won the last four Grand Slams in a row and who had dropped only eight games in her opening two rounds, was even more dominant against 57th-ranked Schett, blasting her off the Philippe Chatrier centre court in just 40 min.

Even without playing anywhere near her best Serena was far too good for a hopelessly outwitted Schett, who said she felt as if she was playing a man.

"She hits her shots harder than any of the other girls - yes, you really could say it's almost like playing a man," said the 27-year-old from Innsbruck after failing to make it into the fourth round for the third time.

"Whether you lose 6-0, 6-0 or 6-2, 6-2 it doesn't make much difference.

"From the first point to the last she put me under so much pressure, she moved well and I couldn't finish my points. I had no rhythm at all - but I have huge respect for her," Schett readily conceded.
:)

The 21-year-old Serena next meets 16th seed Ai Sugiyama of Japan, who swept past US 18th seed Meghann Shaughnessy 6-1, 6-4.

Serena won the opening set in just 21min, producing nine outright winners to just one for Schett, and the pattern continued in the second as she tore through against the former world number seven, smacking down three aces in the process to offset two double faults.

"I just played really good today. Barbara and I normally have a tough match," grinned a bright orange-clad Serena, who ecstatically blew kisses to the crowd before heading off to sign autographs courtside.

"Today was just my day. Hopefully, I can keep it up."

Serena made a rare gaffe at a recent tournament in Miami when she said, in a joking aside, that the French were more interested in haute couture than joining the American war effort, in reference to France's refusal to join the conflict in Iraq (news - web sites).

But there were no signs of ill-feeling here and she explained she is never happier than when she is in the French capital.

"I love the Parisians. France is my favourite country - besides home of course!"
:)

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
OF course!

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Barbara, if you played horrible, you can say it ya know?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
WOW! Not only did Schett play like shit, She is a total shit head for making such an outrageous remark. I pity her ignorance. Shades of the Martina/ Amelie controversy.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Serena played about as well as she is gonna. I don't know why the author neglected this fact.

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
*files nails and blows on them* :angel: ;)

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Amanda said:
WOW! Not only did Schett play like shit, She is a total shit head for making such an outrageous remark. I pity her ignorance. Shades of the Martina/ Amelie controversy.
It is not that outrageous a remark. Serena hits the ball extremely hard, I would guess as hard as some of the guys on the ATP tour. Martina Hingis's remark was derogatory, aimed at insulting Amelie's physique. Barbara's remark was just a fact.

·
Banned
845 Posts
I guess Barbara has played tennis with a man before. Maybe she needs to practice with a couple more men so she would not be bagel the next time. Tactless.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
squawk box said:
Schett/Shit is to gutless to admit that she didn't bother to compete in this match,no surprise with her,so she falls back on the weak little female act. :rolleyes: I don't care how well Serena was playing,if a player is competing they wouldn't get their ass kicked the way Schett/Shit did......Hey Barbara....PISS OFF AND DIE!! :fiery:

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
um, squawk... you're not suggesting that Babsi commit suicide are you?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
And squawk, while I'm at it .......

Transforming Anger: The HeartMath Solution for Letting Go of Rage, Frustration, and Irritation
by Doc Childre, Deborah, Ph.D. Rozman, Matthew, Ph.D. McKay
Available in Paperback
Only $8.76 at Amazon.com :D CLICK HERE!

·
Banned
113 Posts
squawk box said:
Schett/Shit is to gutless to admit that she didn't bother to compete in this match,no surprise with her,so she falls back on the weak little female act. :rolleyes: I don't care how well Serena was playing,if a player is competing they wouldn't get their ass kicked the way Schett/Shit did......Hey Barbara....PISS OFF AND DIE!! :fiery:
that is so true, but how serena played today, she played even better when playing against Davenport, and linsday was competeing very well at FCC. Serena just really outplayed her. As much as a lot of you are avoding this fact. Serena played well, yes not that well, but it was good enough to beat Babsi Shett. Had she played the way she played in FCC cup first set against Davenport, Babsi would've been gone the same score but probably in 30 minutes and not 40. It was about Babsi competeing. Serena wasn't really letting her into the match to compete. Like serena said, today was her day. And when Serena is on, Linday Davenport as you saw, couldn't only win 1 game off her :rolleyes:

I congraduate babsi on what she said, it is the truth. When you watch serena, when she is on, she hits the ball the hardest on the tour. Consistently and everything. No Joke.

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, no Marcus! He needs to read this:

barnes&noble

Just look in the mirror and say the title about 4 times to yourself daily. It helped Michael Jordan!

Reactions: Dawn Marie

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
MarcusRock said:
And squawk, while I'm at it .......

Transforming Anger: The HeartMath Solution for Letting Go of Rage, Frustration, and Irritation
by Doc Childre, Deborah, Ph.D. Rozman, Matthew, Ph.D. McKay
Available in Paperback
Only $8.76 at Amazon.com :D CLICK HERE!

Well thanks for the suggestions for anger managment. :) No Schett/Shit doesn't have to commit suicide....just act like a professional,and COMPETE!!!

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I get what you're saying but you just came off SO angry is all. I was like this --->

·
Registered
174 Posts
squawk box said:
Well thanks for the suggestions for anger managment. :) No Schett/Shit doesn't have to commit suicide....just act like a professional,and COMPETE!!!

I'll tell her when she comes home :p

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
cariosity said:
I get what you're saying but you just came off SO angry is all. I was like this --->
HEHE...OK I'll go take my medication now....See ya...PS.I still think Schett/Shit is a tank artist

1 - 20 of 92 Posts