Tennis Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Schett Continues to Struggle, Loses in First Round

.c The Associated Press

WARSAW, Poland (April 28) -- Former top-10 player Barbara Schett lost her eighth straight first-round match Monday, beaten by Anna Pistolesi 6-4, 6-2 in the J&S Cup.

Pistolesi won five straight games from the Austrian to capture the first set. In the second set, the seventh-seeded Israeli broke twice more.

"I kept on fighting and doing what I do best, which is running every ball down,'' Pistolesi said. "I broke her momentum at 4-1 and just kept on going, going, going for every single ball.''

Venus Williams will be playing for the first time in a month since losing in the Nasdaq-100 Open in Florida. She received a first-round bye along with Amelie Mauresmo, Daniela Hantuchova and Jelena Dokic.

The $700,000 tournament has been hit with withdrawals: defending champion Elena Bovina (fever), 1998 champion Conchita Martinez (shoulder) and Elena Likhotseva (respiratory infection).

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
And people are saying Anna is having a bad year :rolleyes:

Seriously, both Anna and Babsi have soooo much talent! Get it together girls :sad: :bounce:!

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Babsi :sad:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
It's not that bad. Yes Schett would've beaten Anna S. easily a couple of years ago - now Anna is a top player. But it should've been a more competitive match.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,310 Posts
monicAnna said:
anna k and babsi :sad: two of mt faves and they both are stinking it up :sad:
They are two of my faves too, it's so hard to see them lose so much. :sad: :sad: :sad:

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Anna's problem is she keeps entering the hight class tournaments then gets her ass panned. Schett still enters the lower tiers and gets her ass panned.

Her best result was in Paris in doubles.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Schett hasn't won a match since Hobart in January, and she's played a normal schedule too. :(

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Is it just me or does it seem that both Anna and Barbara's tennis has declined when their respective doubles partners retired? That may not be a fair question, but I do think that Anna and Barbara seem lost without the support they received from Anke and Martina. Look at it this way, tennis is an extremely competitive sport and it must be difficult to have friends on the tour since they will wind up as your competitors. Perhaps the friendships that Babsi and Anke and Anna and Martina shared helped them cope with the pressures of winning. Just a thought.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Well Anna was playing well last year when Martina was out, and I think they are still in touch. Also Anna NOW seems to have many friends on the tour, such as Babsi, Meghann, Conci, Chanda, Dinara, Marat, etc.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
dava_russianrule said:
Well Anna was playing well last year when Martina was out, and I think they are still in touch. Also Anna NOW seems to have many friends on the tour, such as Babsi, Meghann, Conci, Chanda, Dinara, Marat, etc.
I realize that Anna has many friends on the tour such as the people you listed, but how many of them have the knowledge or results of Hingis? None. Actually, I think Anna played her best tennis last year, from January through the beginning of March, when Hingis returned to the tour and was very fit. After Hingis left the tour with injury in Miami, Anna seemed to go into a slump and didn't seem to recover from it until later that summer. While I'm sure that Anna and Martina keep in touch, actually having a friend with you is a lot different from just talking by phone. When they were on the tour together, Anna and Martina could share each other's highs and lows. Now that Martina is gone with no intention of returning; she may not be able to relate to Anna's feelings since Martina's winning matches is no longer a concern to her.

Of course, this is all heresay. I have no idea why Anna and Barbara have been mired in such a bad slump for so long. I just hope that both of them can get out of it soon because these first round losses have to be devastating to deal with.

E

·
0 Posts
It's funny though because last fall, Schett beat Rubin and Clijsters in the same tournament!

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
I guess your right apoet :D

Yeah but I could have beaten Kim the way she was playing in that period last year, and Rubin had played more tennis in the last week in the LA champs then she had probably played all year (tough matches against Davenport and Williams)and played tyred. I dont meen to put Babsi down, but she was in the right place. It showed when she was thrashed by Dani H in the QFs.

·
Registered
14,429 Posts
:sad: Babsi

1 - 17 of 17 Posts