Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Re: 2016 Schedule

When should those tournaments should be held then?

In regular weeks there are usually 2 tournaments, and adding a 125K to those weeks will just affect the field of all 3 tournaments. WTA won't do that :sobbing: Especially sometimes you already get BYES in some International Q draws because the competition from ITFs etc. Also you have to consider the venue... or else we'll have those threads complaining about those ridiculously weak Chinese tournaments again :lol: The most feasible place in the calendar would be the second week of IW/Miami/GS, and there are 3 this year... and San Antonio is actually pretty strong in fact.

Indeed, putting it in Nov will also allow some players to vulture but if you look back and see the field in 14/15 125Ks, it's pretty much fine. It is supposed to be a bit stronger than ITF 100Ks. They also restrict the # of Top 50 players to compete so it could prevent some of the higher ranked to vulture.
Not to mention that also having more than one WTA challenger in the same week will weaken the fields of both anyway. Plus, as you said, they restrict the top 50, and a tournament with a 125K total purse (with less doubles teams) should be stronger than one with a full doubles field and only a total purse of 100k, no?

·
8,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

Carlsbad is no longer listed on the schedule, but it appears to have been replaced by an event in Honolulu.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts

Sorry if I'm being stupid, but Dalian is going ahead right? Just cos it's not been mentioned here but is listed on WTA site. Presumably entry list must be out?

·
Registered
11,901 Posts

Sorry if I'm being stupid, but Dalian is going ahead right? Just cos it's not been mentioned here but is listed on WTA site. Presumably entry list must be out?
Someone posted the entry list on a new thread a few days ago, but it mysteriously disappeared...

·
8,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

My fault, when I added Honolulu somehow I managed to not notice Dailan or the fact that West Hempstead hadn't even been played.

·
Registered
658 Posts

Any news about future of this category?

ITF 100.000 will be increased to ITF 125.000.... So will WTA 125k be also increased (to 150k???) or will it be canceled?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts

WTA.com actually posted something (!). Looks like a real ambitious 125k schedule for 2017:

START WTA 125K SERIES EVENT LOCATION WINNER
JUN 06, 2017 BOL OPEN Bol, CROATIA

I saw San Antonio was selling tickets for their date in March 2017 but now the website is down. Might've been a one hit wonder :sad:

·
Registered
29,560 Posts

·
Registered
29,560 Posts
confirmed LIMOGES

Lisicki :eek:h:
Cornet
Parmentier
Vekic
Kanepi