Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 2016 Schedule

The placement of San Antonio and Bol are perfect, in my opinion.

West Hempstead is so random in the middle of the clay court season though, as opposed to, maybe, the second week of the US Open since they're like a half an hour apart by car.

·
8,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Nanchang and Dailan last year, Nanchang was promoted to an international for 2016, but so far no Chinese 125Ks next year.

·
Registered
14,781 Posts

No more Chinese tournaments :eek: well, there are 8 main tour tournaments now so that should be enough :lol:

Also some events in the US finally :cheer:

·
8,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Suzhou too, right? Was it cancelled? Very interesting
Suzhou was actually in 2013-14, it was only a 50K this year. They had Suzhou, Ningbo, and Nanjing in 2013; Nanchang, Suzhou, and Ningbo in 2014; Nanchang and Dailan this year; next year no 125ks but they do still have Beijing, Wuhan, and Zhuhai, then Shenzhen, Guangzhou, and Tianjin, plus Nanchang is a random international in the middle of nowheresville in the schedule which doesn't even have an early final so I'm guessing it's for players who don't make the Olympics.

This year,
Suzhou was a $50K
Nanjing was a 100K

They haven't played in Ningbo this year, not even a 10K. They did have four other 50K events, and one 75K. And actually, now that I'm looking, only four 25Ks, so there were actually a lot less ITF events in China this year than I thought...

·
8,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Now I'm really surprised. Only 17 events in total all year in China, not including the WTA events and 2 125ks. It seemed like a lot more.

·
Registered
15,575 Posts

Suzhou was actually in 2013-14, it was only a 50K this year. They had Suzhou, Ningbo, and Nanjing in 2013; Nanchang, Suzhou, and Ningbo in 2014; Nanchang and Dailan this year; next year no 125ks but they do still have Beijing, Wuhan, and Zhuhai, then Shenzhen, Guangzhou, and Tianjin, plus Nanchang is a random international in the middle of nowheresville in the schedule which doesn't even have an early final so I'm guessing it's for players who don't make the Olympics.

This year,
Suzhou was a $50K
Nanjing was a 100K

They haven't played in Ningbo this year, not even a 10K. They did have four other 50K events, and one 75K. And actually, now that I'm looking, only four 25Ks, so there were actually a lot less ITF events in China this year than I thought...
China does not like small events especially when the titles won in 125Ks does not count as tour title. 125K Series was created for countries who want a tournament but either 1) there is not a place for them to add another tournament in the regular tour, so just for the name of having WTA, or 2) no financial commitment from the government guaranteed. Maybe the Chinese does not know about it in the beginning, but they should now.

I mean, the Chinese are not stupid. They get it after the first few years (which usually a contract lasts about 3 years or so) then they stop when it does not achieve what they want. Though, the economy is declining in China, so WTA will struggle to get these Chinese tournaments to renew their contracts, especially the smaller ones (except China Open, which is an iconic event for fame so it will stay no matter what).

·
Registered
17,560 Posts

I love Bol!! Such a beautiful place and It was a good tournament for the spanish vultures in the 90's:eek:h:
I hope to see Sorribes, Torro Fluke and others this year

·
8,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

It doesn't say it on the WTA website :shrug:

But, let's be honest, spiceboy is a more trustworthy source than the WTA site.

·
Registered
16,016 Posts

San Antonio full of top 50 players. They can't play without WC, right?
I guess they will have to wait and see who they give WC's to.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts