Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
55,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
100k Ilkley winner will get the last one.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
So Boulter isn't fit then :-(

Jesus Christ, do the AELTC not even look at the form of the next in?

Bains, Dunne and Lisicki would have been better choices to get bumped up.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
:facepalm: is this the best way of doing it?

Jelena Dokic, Alexandra Stevenson and Kim Clijsters could have put life on hold for a few days to come and celebrate 20 years since they qualified for MD and bring much more public interest than these 3 options

Reactions: Ellentonboy

·
Premium Member
182,075 Posts
:rolls:
That’s taking the piss

·
Registered
55,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kumkhum has won one match in the 9 tournaments she has played this year. And that was at ITF level.

Jakupovic has won one match in her last 8 tournaments, as well at ITF level.

Zhu, after leaving China and winning a total of 3 games in her clay season (lost 60 61 in Strasbourg and 61 61 in RG), lost 63 63 against Broady last week in Manchester. Broady did not even get a QWC at Wimbledon and lost today in the Q play-off.

·
Registered
29,577 Posts
ZHU :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

·
Registered
53,661 Posts
:help:

that's even more ridiculous than the FO WCs - given the next-ins a pass to MD , especially given their form/results....over talented youngsters or some Brits who could have at least raisen interest to the crowd ...

·
Registered
29,577 Posts
:facepalm: is this the best way of doing it?
yes, it is the best way, because it is objective, and takes out bias, countries exchanging WC, paid WC from the equation :bigwave:

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Scandal at SW19: Kumkhum, Jakupovic & Zhu get hard-slumping MDWC @ Wimbledon

Bains’s switch of allegiance from Aus to UK hasn’t quite paid off then.

Reactions: scottsue

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
That's always been my biggest gripe here, the sheer lack of imagination. I'd have quite liked to have seen Katy Dunne get another go, but if not, there's loads of overseas options that would have been better, particularly Rybakina and Bolsova. Maybe even young McNally for beating Brady and AVU on grass, although she will obviously benefit from MDWCs in her home nation going forward, so I'm not quite as fussed there.

They've basically got the opportunity to handpick players who would make a better impact on their tournament, literally whoever they like, regardless of nationality, and it's ended up with a couple of the most unimaginative players on the tour and someone else on a hell of a losing streak, or both in Luksika's case.

Is this 100% confirmed, or is it just expected? If it's Babos vs Niculescu in the Ilkley final and it's a good match, I'll still hope they can give both MDWCs. Hell, even give it to Kris Plis still, back in the top 100, a top 3 win on grass this year, and a former Wimbledon jr champ.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
I'm always annoyed when they do this but this year it's really terrible because of who benefits.

Just use some imagination AELTC. What about runners up of the challengers the winner didn't need them? Or someone whos performed well over all 3 without winning s title?

Or someone who's done well in WTA events?

It's embarrassing

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
They could have picked three young stars who have had a good year like Juvan, Rybakina and Xiyu Wang instead. That may be overly subjective though.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts