Tennis Forum banner

1061 - 1071 of 1071 Posts

·
Registered
18,667 Posts
^ Yup, but at least youngsters are considered the least risky age group for this. Timing is really unfortunate cause it might make some of our possible tourist guests reconsider coming over, so it should be stated whenever possible that our infection numbers are actually very good and we haven't had much problems with the virus in the last 2 months or so (daily cases of new infections were very low during that time). Grigor is young and generally healthy so I have no doubt he'll pull through without much problems, and hopefully most of those who came into contact with him will as well.

P. S. Ticket prices for this event in Croatia weren't exactly cheap by local standards so at least there weren't that many people in the stands, at least for the first two days from what I saw.

·
Registered
18,667 Posts
The irony of it all is that there's no way of knowing where and when someone actually caught the virus. Dimitrov might've gotten it at home in Bulgaria, Troicki obviously got it in Belgrade (haven't heard he travelled somewhere recently).

Reports say of only 1 child infected in Zadar and the child didn't even visit the tournament but got the virus from a family member who did. Amazing that it's the only case outside of tournament staff and players, considering with how many kids those now infected came into contact at Kids Day.

I don't wanna write further on this cause it'll lead to throwing accusations but mistakes were made from many people involved, not just the players, cause they didn't organize all of this alone.

As I wrote earlier, this is all unfortunate for a number of reasons, and I understand the part of the statement by the organizers which says that everyone thought that the virus has weakened, as many people over here thought the same thing and acted accordingly, going about their business with no problems and without catching anything, cause in the last few weeks leading up to the event we barely had new cases in Croatia. But obviously better measures should've been implemented.

Another interesting aspect here is to see just how much more of a news all of this is simply because of big names involved. Today we can read about 1300 new infections in a meat plant in Germany, but I dont' think that news will get a tenth of the coverage of this one. Still, the main thing is that everyone recoveres and that we all learn from this. Shutdowns and lockdowns can't go on forever for many reasons (such as, money doesn't grow on trees), but until some medical solution for this is found we'll have to find ways to deal with it the best way possible.

·
Registered
18,667 Posts
Also worth mentioning is that we had Croatian Premier Tennis event in Osijek at the start of June, where only Croatian players took part and everything was organized in accordance with the recommendations by health officials (limited gatherings, no spectators, ballkids with gloves...). No problems of any kind were reported there, not one case of infection among participants or staff.

·
Registered
18,667 Posts
^ Not sure it'll matter that much, WTA is the one giving licenses needed to organize tournaments and is the only one who can revoke them, from what I know. And if you can bring sponsors together to make the event happen, it really doesn't matter much how good or bad your relations with the national association are.

·
Registered
11,254 Posts
Weirdly successful week so far for the Croatian women:

W25 Selva Gardena
R1 singles: Boskovic, Konjuh and Lukas all won.

W15 Antalya
QR1 singles: Kajevic won.
R1 singles: Wurth won.

W15 Monastir
R1 singles: Babic and Ruzic both won.
R1 doubles: Babic/Ruzic won.

1061 - 1071 of 1071 Posts