Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Senior Member,
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Save Amina

The Nigerian supreme court has upheld the death sentence for Amina Lawal, condemned to be buried up to her neck and stoned to death, for having a baby while divorced (adultery in Sharia law). Her death has been postponed until 3 June so that she can continue to nurse her baby.

Amina's case is being handled by the Spanish branch of Amnesty
International, which is attempting to put together enough signatures to make the Nigerian government rescind the death sentence. A similar campaign saved another Nigerian woman, Safiya, condemned in similar circumstances.

The petition has so far amassed over 4 million signatures. It will take you only two minutes to sign Amnesty's online petition.

Go to the web page www.amnistiaporsafiya.org/ and enter your first name (in the space marked 'nombre'), last name ('apellidos'), province or region/town ('provincia'), and country (Reino Unido for Britain). Then click on 'Seguir' and go to the second page. There you have the option of entering your email address if you wish to receive follow-up information.

In any case, be sure then to click on 'Aceptar' to have your name added to the list. Please sign the petition now, then forward this message to
everyone in your address book.

Reactions: vaiva and Layla

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Josh said:
I really can't understand this kind of religious extremism. It's repulsive. :mad:
I don't think it's religious, I'm sure of it, but it's cultural.
Whatever it is, it's terrible.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Done :angel:

Reactions: anton

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Ilhame said:
I don't think it's religious, I'm sure of it, but it's cultural.
Whatever it is, it's terrible.
Well the Sharia is the Islamic law so it's definitely religious, the result of an extremist/macho interpretation. Culture is definitely an aspect but most of the times, culture and the way society is built is a result of those extreme religious views.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I'm a Muslim, but can't say too much about my religion. I don't read the Koran so can't have "evidence". I know people and countries have different interpretations of the Islam.
I'm from Morocco and I know cheating is "prohibited", but in Morocco you get jailed. Some countries go as far as killing women, I've seen it on tv once (A lady got shot in Afghanistan cause she talked to a guy. It was in a football stadium and everybody was there watching it happen :sad: ) and I know it happens in the Middle East too.
I'm absolutely against it and hope that people will not make bad remarks about Islam after this.
The only message I have is that not all Muslims are like that. It's just a small percentage that gives the rest a bad image.

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
I hear you Ilhame and I don't think Islam is a bad religion. Every religion can be interpreted in an extremist way, no doubt about that.

The reason why Morocco and other muslim countries do not kill people for adultry is that they don't apply the Sharia. The Sharia is not only based on the Koran but also on traditions and work of Muslim scholars of the first centuries of Islam.

You can read more here : http://i-cias.com/e.o/sharia.htm

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Done! Thank you for bringing this to my attention. :)

·
Senior Member,
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no worries layla. thanks for signing guys.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
another

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
Done! Thanks for posting this baleineau.:D BTW-please respond to my new question in BFTP "Helen Kelesi pics?" thread.;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts