Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
??

go Nicole and Anca! :D :bounce: :bounce:

·
Premium Member
181,824 Posts
Nicole :banana: :D :) :woohoo: :yeah: ;)

·
Premium Member
181,824 Posts
TB score was 7-1 Nicole ;)

Razzano d. Barna 62 62

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nicole!!! :D :bounce:

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anca Barna.. :sad:

·
GIMME SHELTER
48,175 Posts
TheBoiledEgg said:
TB score was 7-1 Nicole ;)

Razzano d. Barna 62 62
:sad:
what an ugly result, Anca ...

·
Registered
709 Posts
Got this from the Media Office.
------------------------------

Media Office
Tashkent Open 2004

VAIDISOVA-RAZZANO FINAL

Fifteen-year-old Nicole Vaidisova displayed a maturity way above her years to knock out second seeded Meghann Shaughnessy at the Tashkent Open by Zeromax on Saturday.

The 1.81m tall Vaidisova defeated Shaughnessy, ranked 56 spots above her at 47, 6-1, 5-7, 7-6 (1) in just under two hours on a day very different from yesterday when it snowed. It was still cold but sunny.

Czech Vaidisova plays Frenchwoman Virginie Razzano in Sunday's final. Razzano scored an unexpectedly easy 6-2, 6-2 win over No 5 seed Anca Barna of Germany in the other semi-final.

Vaidisova and Razzano have never met before. For Vaidisova, it will the second final of her short career. The first was in Vancouver in August, an event which she won. For Razzano, it is her first WTA final.

Said Vaidisova about tomorrow's match: "I'm not nervous about playing a final. I've been there before and I've won.''

Razzano, too, sounded confident in her post-match conference. "It's my first WTA final but I have won ITF events. I'm here because I know what I want and that is to win this tournament."

Vaidisova's mental strength was fully evident in the third set of a pulsating match, especially in the tie- breaker, when the former world No 11 Shaughnessy served two successive double faults and caved in completely.

The Czech won the first set in 20 minutes and served for the match at 5-4 in the second. But Shaughnessy used all her experience to get out of that hole. She won five games in a row, to go 1-0 up in the third and even though she dropped serve in the third game, broke back immediately and seemed in complete control of the match.

Shaughnessy's serving was top-class and she kept Vaidisova's serve under constant pressure with her crunching returns. She was severe on the second serves to the ad court, hammering away inside-out forehands for clean winners. So severe was the pressure that, at one stage, Vaidisova had eight double faults in three games.

Shaughnessy also dictated the pace of the rallies, counterpunching winners or alternatively letting an aggressive Vaidisova commit unforced errors.

Despite all this, Vaidisova, 10 years younger than Shaughnessy, hung on and forced a tie-breaker. She was most impressive when she had to hold serve to stay in the match, in the 10th and 12th games. She blasted four first serves to win the 10th at love and produced two superb forehands to win the 12th, after being 15-30 down.

"I tried not to go down. Just hang on, hold my serve," said Vaidisova later.
All this took a toll on Shaughnessy and she just collapsed in the tie-breaker, serving two successive double faults.

Vaidisova didn't allow the memory of her lapses in the second set to rattle her. She just kept hitting hard and clean. She got to matchpoint when Shaughnessy sent a backhand return of serve wide and then took the match when the American sent a backhand down the line wide.

Said Vaidisova: "I was calm during the tie-breaker. She got nervous.
"Earlier, when I served for the match in the second set, I lost my concentration. I started thinking about the final, got a bit nervous. Then, I didn't get a serve in. She's a good player, she took advantage of it."
Said a totally dejected Shaughnessy: "She's a pretty mature player. She played very well. She's young but she's got a full-grown body. She plays aggressively."

Added Shaughnessy: "I didn't start so well. But I picked up in the second set and played even better in the third." It must have been a bitter blow to her that the young Vaidisova didn't crack.

The American had come to this tournament hoping to revive her singles career, which has been on the downward trail for some time now. She started the year at No 17,made the third round at both the French Open and Wimbledon, but hasn't been able to stop the slide in her rankings, which is 47 now. At the same time, her doubles career has taken off. She's won six titles with Russian Nadia Petrova and is now ranked No 6 in the world.

She'd said earlier in the tournament: "Last year, I made a commitment to play with Nadia. It's been very good. But singles is my priority. That's why I'm playing here in Tashkent. I need to win matches."

Asked if her doubles schedule was upsetting her singles play, she replied: "I need to organize and schedule my events better next year so that I strike a good balance between the two.''

VIRGINE RAZZANO bt ANCA BARNA 6-2, 6-2

The Razzano-Barna semi-final was one-sided. Razzano was totally dominant, winning in an hour and 23 minutes.

Razzano was delighted with her easy win. "I feel good about my game," she said. "It's a good match, make me feel good for tomorrow. I tried to vary my game today, mixing up my shots. I tried to play fast. She wasn't moving well. Maybe, she was not able to read my game."

Barna commited several unforced errors. It saw her lose six games in a row, from 2-2 in the first set till 0-2 in the second. She had a point to make it 2-2 but lost the chance and with it the match.

Said Barna: "I didn't find my rhythm and she played very good. In the beginning, the games were close and I had my chances but I didn't make it. She got lot more confident and in the end, it was too late for me to come back." .. "Overall, I'm happy with my performance in the tournament. But, now, after this match, I'm disappointed," said Barna, who hasn't got past the first round in four previous attempts.

SERRA ZANETTI SISTERS WIN DOUBLES

Adriana and Antonella Serra Zanetti, the sisters from Italy, won the doubles title defeating second seeds Marion Bartoli of France and Mara Santangleo of Italy 1-6, 6-3, 6-4 in an hour and 45 minutes.

Said Adriana, the older of the two sisters by four years: "I very very happy to win this title. This is the first time I am winning with my sister. So it is special."
------------------------------

Jay

1 - 19 of 19 Posts