Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Justine is ranked number three in the world and is seeded number two. However, as I predicted, she is not playing at night, but the fourth match on the Grandstand court. However, Sharapova is playing a night match; she is teaming up with Lisa Raymond to play doubles against Martina and Svetlana after the Ginepri/Martin match.

·
Don't mess with Texas!
5,727 Posts
Not really surprising to me. I wouldn't be lining up to see Justine if I could see Martina and Maria play.

·
Registered
17,922 Posts
Yeah, I just noticed that. Justine is really being dissed by the USTA. :mad:

(now here come 10,000 posts about how Evil Justine should be playing over in Newark, etc etc etc) :lol:

·
Banned
5,053 Posts
What's funny is how the first match on AA saturday is always a rather not-so-interesting match... I remember a year it was Coetzer-Martinez (when Kournikova was later on Louis Amstrong), another Capriati-Tauziat (when Capriati wasn't really at her best), etc

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
The US Open has a history of making doubles "an equal" sport as singles. So to get Martina/Sveta and Lisa/Maria under the lights is not surprising. Plus the star power in that match is bigger than #2 Justine vs. Soari Obata.

Plus, CBS owns the rights to the matches on the weekend, and obvioulsy will not show any doubles. They probably preferred to "keep" Justine, just in case they decide to show a snippet of her match, rather than let USA carry it and by that ignoring this great doubles match altogether.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
people love to see martina play and of course the american players are gonna be scheduled on the big courts at primetime veiwing, it all makes sense really. same as Tim Henman was always scheduled later in the day at wimbledon. no point putting him on when everyone is at work or the Beeb lose all those veiwing figures ;)

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just looked at the schedude again on the Grandstand court and I don't think Justine will get on TV tomorrow afternoon on CBS because the schedule is :

ATP Match
Myskina vs. Sanchez Lorenzo
ATP Match
Henin-Hardenne vs. Obata

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
nav and raymond 2 of the best doubles players and 2 up coming young players who are making ways on the singles circuit. with sharapova's hype, kuznetsova just reaching the quarters at wimbledon and nav and raymond i'm not really surprised. plus justine is playing obata. justine has a pretty easy draw so they're probably saving her for a bit later.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
but maybe the amreicans have a grudge due to what happened at roland garros.

·
Registered
115,239 Posts
Last year, the first Saturday night was all women. I remember Hingis beat Amanda. And the last match was Anna/Martina.
So this year, the other Martina vs. Maria is the final match.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gowza said:
but maybe the amreicans have a grudge due to what happened at roland garros.
I don't think America as a whole has a grudge, but I don't think she made any fans inside the WTA or the USTA.

·
Registered
17,922 Posts
But she has plenty of fans in the US, which they seem to fail to realize.

Oh well. Tennis is tennis, whatever court it is on. Every year there are players who get shortchanged in court assignments. I think Edberg as defending champion was sent out to the boonies, too.

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
I doesn't matter as long as Justine will win the US Open.:angel:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts